Can I Use This Kind Of Cake Under Fondant?

Decorating By grossoutqueen Updated 11 Sep 2009 , 4:43am by Rylan

grossoutqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grossoutqueen Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 1:23am
post #1 of 3

I work predominately with buttercream but I am going to make a cake in a few weeks covered in fondant.

I keep reading that you need to use a firm cake such as pund cake so it will hold up under the weight of the fondant.

I usually just use box mixes (Duncan Hines). Are these ok to use with fondant? If not, what should I make/use?

2 replies
smitakasargod Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smitakasargod Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 1:27am
post #2 of 3

I have almost always used boxed mixes with my cakes. I add an extra egg and a jello instant pudding mix to the batter and that makes the cake firmer.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 4:43am
post #3 of 3

Straight box mix would be fine. There are many people who use straight box mix cakes under fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%