How Many Days Does It Take You To Do A Wedding Cake??

Decorating By buggus Updated 11 Sep 2009 , 3:35pm by Tarielena

buggus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
buggus Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 12:51am
post #1 of 4

I have a bad habit of leaving things to the last minute, then I find I'm scrambling. How many days do you prepare a wedding cake? I need help organizing my time. It's so hard I'm finding to plan my business around my regular home/work life.

3 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 1:22am
post #2 of 4

If you can bake on Sunday or Monday and freeze the cakes; then if you can make the icing ahead of time; then on Thursday all you have to do is pull the cakes out of the freezer, let them sit for 30-60 minutes to thaw enough to work with, and get them iced.

I have a 5-tier cake this weekend (free one ... friend's daughter. I'm "helping" her with the cake.) We baked on Tuesday and froze it. I pulled them out today and filled/crumbcoated (took about 2 hours, but only because I had a friend there and we were chatting too much! icon_lol.gif )

I'll final ice them tomorrow afternoon. Will deliver and will do the assembly & the cherry blossom design decorating at the venue, which should only take about 20 minutes.

It's hard to say how many "days" it takes because so much is dependent on your daily work/home schedule. I prefer to think in terms of hours instead of days. Easier for me to schedule hours.

SweetDreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetDreams Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 1:35am
post #3 of 4

I usually do all of my baking and frosting making one day, lets say if your wedding is on Sat, I would bake on Wed., frost and fill all cakes on Thurs. and decorate on Fri. Any fondant/gumpaste decorations would be made a week or so in advance. For me, it is so much more enjoyable to make a cake in stages like this rather than jamming everything in at the last minute and worrying if I will have enough time to finish.

Tarielena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tarielena Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 3:35pm
post #4 of 4

This is a lesson I definitely need to learn. I always think things won't take very long, but having a 1 1/2 yr old to keep track of too always throws my estimations off.

A few weeks back I ended up staying up until 6:30am to finish my friend's two tier cake and 200 cupcakes all w/ fondant decorations (luckily my hubby woke up with the before-mentioned 1 1/2 yr old so at least I got to sleep until 11, then get up and deliver). Mental note: 200 cupcakes take a LOT of time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%