How Much Do You Charge For Cupcakes?

Baking By princesscatt Updated 22 Oct 2009 , 9:04pm by xiswtsawluiix

princesscatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
princesscatt Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 4:34pm
post #1 of 18

Was asked to do a cupcake tower with one giant cupcake on top for a 1st b-day party. She is my friend so I'm not sure how much to charge. The cupcakes are going to be basic choc/vanilla with buttercream and sprinkles to match her theme...how much would you charge per cupcake?

Also...where is a good spot to find a cupcake tower already made?

17 replies
CakeJediChic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeJediChic Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 6:03pm
post #2 of 18

Ive seen many cupcake towers at places like hobby lobby, micheals and joanns. your cake store might also have one. (plus the first 3 mentioned ussually have 40% coupons every month!)

as for charging im not sure. i just did my first order here and did 25 for $30

egensinnig Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
egensinnig Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 5:57am
post #3 of 18

I'm doing my first order too and I'm charging 2$ a piece ( 30 CC) and everybody tells me I should charge more. Hand made wrappers and a lot of fondant flowers and figures. But this is in Sweden and I guess we have higher prices here.
A piece of cake is from 2$-5$ here.

babykonst Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babykonst Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 6:56am
post #4 of 18

you should charge more, ive seen basic swirls going for 2.50 and up, if you have hand made wrappers and fondant accents.....id be charging 3-4 at least!!

sugarandslice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarandslice Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 7:49am
post #5 of 18

Think about hiring a cupcake stand rather than buying one. Lots of places around me that hire out novelty pans also hire out cupcake stands/towers.
Just a thought!
icon_smile.gif
Emma

ApplegumKitchen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ApplegumKitchen Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 10:35am
post #6 of 18

Fondant covered - $12-$15 per cupcake plus $50 to hire the stand and a $250 bond on the stand. (aussie dollars)

IMBC - with fondant toppers or fondant flowers - upwards from $8

Jenthecakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenthecakelady Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 11:44am
post #7 of 18

I don't sell anything, so I can't help you with pricing, but I have been wanting to make one of these cupcake towers. I think you could make it pretty inexpensively. Just buy scrapbook paper instead of printing out the lace clip-art provided on the site.

http://www.marthastewartweddings.com/article/lace-cupcake-towers?autonomy_kw=cupcake stand

Jenthecakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenthecakelady Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 11:46am
post #8 of 18

p.s. When I pasted the link it did not include the word stand in the link but it is in there so you will have to cut & paste it.

http://www.marthastewartweddings.com/article/lace-cupcake-towers?autonomy_kw=cupcake stand

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 12:14pm
post #9 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by egensinnig

I'm doing my first order too and I'm charging 2$ a piece ( 30 CC) and everybody tells me I should charge more. Hand made wrappers and a lot of fondant flowers and figures. But this is in Sweden and I guess we have higher prices here.

Really, wow?! I haven't seen a custom cake shop here (and granted they are thin on the ground!), that charges less than 5 euros per serving for cake, many start at 8 or 9 euros! Hence I tell my customers that they can't complain with my 3 euros per serving price (but some do!) - granted that's my minimum and my cakes are rarely that cheap, but still!

egensinnig Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
egensinnig Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 12:34pm
post #10 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRowesHunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by egensinnig

Really, wow?! I haven't seen a custom cake shop here (and granted they are thin on the ground!), that charges less than 5 euros per serving for cake, many start at 8 or 9 euros! Hence I tell my customers that they can't complain with my 3 euros per serving price (but some do!) - granted that's my minimum and my cakes are rarely that cheap, but still!

I would say that custom cake is same price as you are referring. I was thinking about "cheap" ordianry cake from teh local baker. A proper wedding cake starts from 5 euros. And a really custom made is probably much more expensive.

BJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BJ Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 8:13pm
post #11 of 18

How many cupcakes are you making? There are some really great towers at www.coolcupcakes.com They have ones that hold 60 cupcakes and 100 cupcakes. Extremely resonable! The nice thing about these are they are very well made - sturdy! They also allow you to use all the tiers or only as many as you need. I used the 100 one for a wedding I just did that called for 110 cupcakes (put the extra 10 around the base). I charge $2.50 per cupcake for a basic cupcake with just BC icing and then I add from there for any special decorations or wrappers they want.
LL

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 12:17am
post #12 of 18

Great link BJ! I have never heard of it - but it looks pretty cool.

And Jenthecakelady - the do it yourself cupcake stand by Martha is really neat as well.

GottaLuvCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GottaLuvCake Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 12:31am
post #13 of 18

Now that cupcake stand is nice!! tall inbetween the layers for extra large cupcakes or tall decorations. And leave it to Martha, crafty Martha, gotta luv it!

GottaLuvCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GottaLuvCake Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 12:39am
post #14 of 18

DARN, i guess I strayed away from your pricing question? I have always had that problem when it came to friends and family, one of the reasons i kind of went into cake decorating hiding. Lost interest cuz i was doing it as a "favor". NOT ANYMORE!! you should now how good your stuff is check around locally, I was fortunate to find pricing on a local website to a bakery that advertises on TV and does a major business in the area. I had a cake from them within the last 30 days, and i was not impressed! Don't undersell yourself just because it is a friend. And don't forget to post a pic!!!

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 12:43am
post #15 of 18

I use the tall tiers stand from Wilton. The rental places near me rent them out for about $25 or so. Here it is and it is adjustable from one tier all the way to 6 tiers:

http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=3E30BB93-475A-BAC0-52555DC793C1FEC1&fid=3E33109F-475A-BAC0-514197B5E889D67F

Cathy26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cathy26 Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 7:41pm
post #16 of 18

I bought my cupcake stand off ebay. its incredibly sturdy and was about £50 sterling. i hire it out and charge a deposit which i give back on return. pic in my profile.

price wise i started out charging £6.00 for 6 but went up to £7.00 for 6 due to the new cupcake boxes i got. now seeing as people want really intricate flowers or even little figures,etc on them i charge between £7-£10 for 6 depending on decoration. i also use muffin papers rather than fairy cake ones which give a bigger cupcake and allow me to charge more and make it worth my while but i still find that making say 6 or 12 cupcakes doesnt pay me at all well in the scheme of things when i have to clean piping bags, make different frostings and little figures, etc.

its hard though because people really do look at cupcakes and just think "there only buns, i can get them at a supermarket" so i just had a women there today who enquired about pricing and i told her £7 for 6 and she said oh thats too expensive since there are about 30 of us.".... a crap fresh cream bakery cake from one of the really crappy bakeries in town which has awful piped writing scrawled across it and absolutly no colour scheme costs about £25-£20 here but i guess they'd rather pay that - people really dont see the work that goes into decorated cupcakes....

now wedding cupcakes are a different matter, i love doing them and with there being so many you can realy get a production line going which really cuts time. i charge about £200 for 100 cupcakes and a 6 inch cutting cake with flowers, etc like in my pics which makes me about £150 profit icon_smile.gif

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 7:45pm
post #17 of 18

For basic cupcakes (swirl piped with tip 2D and sprinkles) I charge $20 per dozen. I prob could charge more, but cuppies are fast and easy, and my TIME is the major thing I charge for. I'm glad they're en vogue right now as I'd generally rather make them as they never give me problems while cakes are occasionally a headache. IYKWIM.

xiswtsawluiix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xiswtsawluiix Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 9:04pm
post #18 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJ

How many cupcakes are you making? There are some really great towers at www.coolcupcakes.com They have ones that hold 60 cupcakes and 100 cupcakes. Extremely resonable! The nice thing about these are they are very well made - sturdy! They also allow you to use all the tiers or only as many as you need. I used the 100 one for a wedding I just did that called for 110 cupcakes (put the extra 10 around the base). I charge $2.50 per cupcake for a basic cupcake with just BC icing and then I add from there for any special decorations or wrappers they want.

I have an order for this weekend for 3 dozen cupcakes and a 6" cake for the top tier. I am currently charging $2.50/cupcake and charged $48 for a 6" cake since I think it will feed 8 people - which comes out to be $6/slice. The cupcakes will have fondant accents dusted with pearl dust, dragees and royal icing flowers. These are regular sized cupcakes, not the big ones like Crumbs. I was thinking about raising my prices to $3.50 or $4 per cupcake, but someone told me I won't get repeat customers at that price. Is my pricing fair for the cupcakes and 6" cake?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%