Where To Shop In New York? How To Get To Michaels?

Decorating By LouRogerson Updated 18 Sep 2009 , 3:05pm by superwawa

LouRogerson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LouRogerson Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 2:15pm
post #1 of 14

Hello

I'm visiting New York until Sunday from the UK and am looking for somewhere to buy some cake decorating equipment (from past experience of shopping in the States, it's usually cheaper to buy craft supplies over this side of the water).

On past visits to FL and San Diego I've shopped at Michaels for scrapbooking and general crafts and have seen that there are a few dotted around New York but am puzzled on the easiest one to get to and how to get there without a car.

Can anyone offer any advice? If anyone has any tips on where else is best to buy general cake decorating supplies it would be really useful.

As a non-cake related matter, can anyone suggest a good outlet mall? We went to Century 21 yesterday but it was just like a huge jumble sale with people going crazy, I've heard of Woodbury Common, but am put off by the $35 ride advertised everywhere.

If there is a Michaels next to a mall then great - please help icon_smile.gif

Louise

13 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 2:47pm
post #2 of 14

Forget Michaels if you're in NYC. There are none in Manhattan. The closest are in Queens and New Jersey.

Go to New York Cake and Baking, at

56 West 22 Street, between 5th and 6th Avenues (closer to 6th). They carry everything Michael's has, plus about 1000 times more.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

sugarsugargal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarsugargal Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 2:51pm
post #3 of 14

i was gonna post this exact same thing as off to ny from the uk in a few weeks, am noting the replies icon_smile.gif

playingwithsugar Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 2:55pm
post #4 of 14

Well, let me know when, and if my schedule is free, I will meet you at the store!

Theresa icon_smile.gif

LouRogerson Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 3:01pm
post #5 of 14

Thanks for such a quick reply, am planning on going to have a look round there this afternoon.

Next question (off my mum this time icon_wink.gif ) is there a store with scrapbooking materials like Michaels?

We were heading for Michaels for price, would you say New York Cake and Baking is of a similar price, cheaper, more expensive?

Thanks for your help.

Louise

playingwithsugar Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 3:14pm
post #6 of 14

You know, I never did a comparison on NY Cake compared to the craft stores, because I normally only shop in them when I have a coupon. I know the Wilton products have a manufacturer's suggested retail price on them, which I believe NY Cake subscribes to. The other products are their own pricing.

I do not do scrapbooking, so unfortunately, I would not be able to suggest anyone there. I did a Superpages search under scrapbooking, but didn't come up with anything that I could conclude was really a scrapbooking supply store.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

LouRogerson Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 7:36am
post #7 of 14

Thanks for your help Theresa, in the end I never managed to get to the cake shop - I went on the only day it's closed, Sunday's and then ran out of time. We did make a trip to Michaels though and compared to UK prices, everything seemed cheaper, although the variety of products was not as big as I'd imagined, but good for Wilton products.

In terms of getting there it was really easy, we were staying near Byrant Park and there was a tube line straight from there to Northern Boulevard, it couldn't have been easier, even my mum who struggles with stairs sometimes found it easy enough.

Love New York but glad to be back for the rest icon_smile.gif

Thanks again,

Louise

SugarFiend Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFiend Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 12:58pm
post #8 of 14

I'm so bummed I didn't see this post sooner! Because I would have said...

Woodbury Common is a great outlet mall - and there is a Michael's nearby. I love Woodbury Common, personally.

I know, my post is basically useless at this point because I didn't see it in time. But I was just so excited to see someone from the UK talking about visiting somewhere in my area (near Woodbury Common)!

Sherri

playingwithsugar Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 1:00pm
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarFiend

I'm so bummed I didn't see this post sooner! Because I would have said...

Woodbury Common is a great outlet mall - and there is a Michael's nearby. I love Woodbury Common, personally.

Sherri

Your post is not that useless. Someone asks these questions on, at least, a monthly basis. Consider it filed for future reference!

Theresa icon_smile.gif

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 1:10pm
post #10 of 14

I went to NY City Cake this summer while on vacation. I was hoping that I would find some new toys. What I actually found was an appreciation for the cake stores in the Toronto, Canada area. The prices at NC Cakes were higher than I would pay in Canada, the sales help was non existant and I could get just about everything I wanted here in Canada. I actually left the store buyig nothing. What a dissappointment.

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 1:41pm
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsilvest

I went to NY City Cake this summer while on vacation. I was hoping that I would find some new toys. What I actually found was an appreciation for the cake stores in the Toronto, Canada area. The prices at NC Cakes were higher than I would pay in Canada, the sales help was non existant and I could get just about everything I wanted here in Canada. I actually left the store buyig nothing. What a dissappointment.

NY cake and baking is WAY overpriced (but it's Manhattan, so what do you expect), but it's a good place to go if you need something right away and don't have time to order it (I was there a LOT when I was in culinary school lol), because they have nearly everything! I agree the staff there is the worst! They act like they're doing you a HUGE favor to help you and it's a big hassle for them... ummmmm, isn't that your job? lol

sugarsugargal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarsugargal Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 2:06pm
post #12 of 14

Sherri !!! your post is not in vain ! i am also from the uk and visiting NY in 5 weeks...have noted your recommendation !!!! tell me more !!!!! xxxxx

playingwithsugar Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 2:12pm
post #13 of 14

See, Sherri, I told you your post would come in handy.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

superwawa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superwawa Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 3:05pm
post #14 of 14

In addition to Sherri's advice for Woodbury Commons, I have another one. I work in NYC but live in New Jersey, so of course I have the dilemma all the time whether to shop in NY or NJ. There is a shopping area in New Jersey in a city called Secaucus that is about 7 miles from Manhattan.

http://www.harmonmeadow.com/pages/millcreekpage.html

You can see on the PDF map at the bottom of the page the shops are actually part of a HUGE shopping and entertainment complex, so it's not going to be like going to just one shop. New Jersey is sort of notorious for having ridiculously large shopping centers/malls. icon_smile.gif

The "Plaza" has restaurants and a movie theater. The area called "Harmon Cove" are clothing outlet shops.(there is no sales tax on clothing/shoes in NJ.)

The shops are spread out, but depending on what you consider walking distance you can get around. OR, there are buses going around as well.

The one area called "The Mall at Mill Creek" has the store A.C. Moore Arts & Crafts, which is similar to a Michaels here in the US and will have the similar Wilton products and all sorts of craft supplies at reasonable prices. AC Moore has their 40% coupons online, you just have to enter your location (Secaucus) to get the weekly ad and coupon. (see attached example for this week)

The Port Authority Bus Terminal in Manhattan is your starting point. The buses you need are part of the NJ TRANSIT system, you can see the shopping website has the bus numbers that will take you to each area.

If you want I can PM you more specific links.

The ride will take about 25-35 minutes depending on the time of day and traffic; a one-way Adult fare will be around $3.00.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%