Need Cake Decorator In The Triad Area Of Nc For Grad Project

Decorating By cake4grad_project Updated 21 Oct 2009 , 8:23pm by jammjenks

cake4grad_project Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake4grad_project Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 1:35am
post #1 of 14

I'm Brianna and I'm a senior in high school. As a senior, I'm required to complete a project in order to graduate. The topic I've chosen for my project is cake decorating, and I'm required to come up with a research paper, portfolio, product, and a presentation in front of a panel of judges. I'll also need a mentor to teach me a skill (that skill would be cake decorating). I am required to spend 10-15 hours with my mentor in person before November 18. And I MUST have a mentor by next week (If possible by Sept 16). I'm posting this because so far I've called bakeries in my area and I'm just not having any luck with finding a mentor. I was introduced to this site by my mom, (who also decorates cakes, but, unfortunately, family members are not allowed to serve as mentors) who said I could post and see if there was anyone in the area who may be able or willing to help me out. So is there anyone in the Triad area of North Carolina, preferably Randolph County, who might be able to serve as my mentor? Also- I'll need someone who is relatively experienced with fondant, because I plan to use fondant accents when I make my own cake (which will be my product). Anyone who is able to help or has suggestions is greatly appreciated.

13 replies
cake4grad_project Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 2:12am
post #2 of 14

Guilford County and some areas of Davidson County (Thomasville, possibly Lexington) are also easily accessible. Thanks again.

cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 3:38pm
post #3 of 14

Just a thought, would a Wilton class qualify you??

cake4grad_project Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 8:25pm
post #4 of 14

No, I'm afraid that won't work. My mentor needs to be someone that I can spend one on one time with, and even if that would work, money is an issue right now and I was trying to keep my budget as low as possible since my parents are responsible for all the expenses that are coming with this project. Thank you for the suggestion though.

ncdessertdiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ncdessertdiva Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 12:07am
post #5 of 14

Check with Crawford's Creations in High Point. She is a great lady and I learned so much from her in several classes. She might be willing to work with you on the costs. I think her website is crawfordscreations.com
Leslie

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 12:14am
post #6 of 14

I wish I was closer and I'd definately help you out.

I did this back in the spring for a local HS senior doing her senior project on cake decorating. It was so much fun.

You don't even have to find a bakery, it can be just a legal home-baker like me.

If any of you CCers are in any shape to help her out, it would be a great thing to do. I know we all are busy, but it isn't too hard to find spare time to let her learn while you work on someone's cake order.

To OP, best of luck on your project.

cakecastle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecastle Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 1:01am
post #7 of 14

This is Brianna's mom. I just wanted to say thank you to those of you that have offered up suggestions. They are greatly appreciated. jammjenks, thank you, I wish you were closer too. icon_biggrin.gif

The first place she checked was Crawford's Creations (since I buy some of my supplies from there), but due to unfortunate circumstances she is unable to help. She has contacted all the local bakeries we could find listings for and has been unable to find anyone who could help her. I know we have lots of home bakers on this site so that's why I sent her here, hoping that someone could possibly be of help.

cake4grad_project Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 8:20pm
post #8 of 14

Thank you jammjenks.

Sweet_Treats_1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Treats_1 Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 8:44pm
post #9 of 14

Sorry that I dont live closer to U Brianna, but I'm in SC about an hour south of Charlotte. Why dont U find a Wilton class in your area and explain the situation to the instructor of the class, maybe she would be willing to work with U one on one or let U even sit in on a couple of classes (the fondant & gumpaste would be good) for free. Its worth a shot. Good luck!

babyhugs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babyhugs Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 12:46am
post #10 of 14

Hi Brianna, I'm not sure if I would be anywhere near qualified to help you. I bake for family and friends and do not have a licensed kitchen but if I can help I would be happy to do it. I do like working with fondant icon_biggrin.gif I'm located in Davidson County, Churchland to be exact. Take a look at my pics and let me know if I can help!!
Dot

cake4grad_project Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 6:26pm
post #11 of 14

Thank you so much Dot for being willing to help me out. I did find someone to serve as my mentor yesterday, I just haven't had the chance to post anything until now. Thank you again, though, for being willing, because I was almost sure I wasn't gonna find anyone that could help me. When I did finally find someone, I actually....cried tears of joy (seriously). So just know that your generosity makes me very happy! ^__^

Thanks,

-Brianna

ncdessertdiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ncdessertdiva Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 6:52pm
post #12 of 14

Brianna,
I'm so glad you were able to find someone to help you. I'm in the Triangle area of the state or I would have volunteered my services.

Good luck and have fun!
Leslie

cake4grad_project Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 10:18pm
post #13 of 14

Thanks everybody! I think this will be an exciting experience!icon_smile.gif

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 8:23pm
post #14 of 14

Hey Brianna-
I was just thinking about you this week. How is your project going? Have any pictures you'd care to share?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%