Do Any Of You Have A Blog?

Decorating By Jenthecakelady Updated 11 Sep 2009 , 9:40pm by CakeMommyTX

Jenthecakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenthecakelady Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 3:50am
post #1 of 41

I'm wondering because I was thinking of starting a cake blog. Just something that I put my personal experiences in cake baking/decorating and what I learn. I'm not really a good cake decorator yet, but I think I have potential and I want to learn as much as I can. I was thinking that if I try one new recipe or decorating technique per week it would turn into a fun little blog. What do you like/dislike about it if you do?

40 replies
Tracye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tracye Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 9:18pm
post #2 of 41

I have a blog. Wendy from Cake Space suggested I start one to keep track of the cakes I've made.

Although it has become an "all about me" blog. I always post cake pictures, but I also write about daily life and post pics of the kids, too.

www.tracyecakes.blogspot.com

I subscribe to a whole bunch of cake blogs. Love, love, love them!

tonicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonicake Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 9:32pm
post #3 of 41

My cake blog is tonicake.blogspot.com

Once a week I take time to discuss cakes, cookies and cup cakes I've done for that week and the occasions.

I enjoy it and my friends and customers have a chance to know how cake life is.

L_Collins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
L_Collins Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 9:36pm
post #4 of 41

Yes. I have one too. crossroadscakes.blogspot.com. It gave me a way to let people view my cakes in an easier way.

klat7292 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klat7292 Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 9:41pm
post #5 of 41

Yes...my blog spot is www.tastydesignsbykristy.blogspot.com. But I don't have anything posted...YET. icon_lol.gif I just created it before the Labor Day weekend and I went away for a little anniversary getaway with the hubby!! icon_biggrin.gif But I promise to start posting soon.... icon_wink.gif

I do have Sugar Shack's blog as a blog that I am following....I will add others here too...it's great to have cake connections!! thumbs_up.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 9:49pm
post #6 of 41

I have one (see link in signature), but I use it for an expanded space of FAQ's. My website page was getting too long with FAQ's and it was hard for me to get my mom-finger going on some of the topics when it's part of the website! icon_lol.gif I use it as a vehicle to educate brides on how to shop, how to plan, what to expect (and what ticks me off! icon_twisted.gif ).

Thru Twitter, some of the articles have been picked up and reprinted in other blogs, so I'm officially published from Pennsylvania to San Fransciso! icon_biggrin.gif

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 9:53pm
post #7 of 41

Yep. I just published a funny piece on evil sheetcakes at weddings! Bwahahahaha. Not that sheetcakes are evil. But when the guests at table 5 are chewing their sheet cake while watching the cool kids eat slices of the real wedding cake at table 6....ruh-roh! Not cool!

sweetcakesbyrebecca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakesbyrebecca Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 10:00pm
post #8 of 41

I have a blog, but I wish I had more time to maintain it. The bog is an excellent way of gaining internet exposure. The search engines like google search the web for the keywords that people type in the search bar. So becuase a blog has a lot of text they often can pullup higher in a search than your website. So when bloging it is important to use titles that are descritive of the cake or topic. They also will help bring your photos up to the first page when people search cake images.
I also use facebook, myspace (where I started selling cakes), flickr, wedding wire (which goes to martha stewart weddings), project wedding, and twitter. They are important tools to gain exposure and they cost nothing except time.
I also have links to follow me on twitter, wedding wire, myspace and facebook on my website.
Also our bakery just became members of the blog Style Me Pretty's Little Black Book.
So blogging is important and one more thing, you should link your blog to other blogs.
HTH

Rebecca

spring Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spring Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 10:33pm
post #9 of 41

I've had my blog for over a year.

www.minetterushing.typepad.com

Minette

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 10:35pm
post #10 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by spring

I've had my blog for over a year.

www.minetterushing.typepad.com

Minette

Lovely!

dkltll Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dkltll Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 10:48pm
post #11 of 41

I just started creating one b/c family & friends are always wanting to show people my cakes & they want to see the latest. I am only a hobbyist at this point. This is a great idea for a thread- this way we can share even more w/ each other! thumbs_up.gif

I haven't done it long enough to know if I like it yet but it seems like it will be fun w/o the hassle of maintaining an actual website.

http://cakedesignsbymara.blogspot.com/

dkltll Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dkltll Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 10:54pm
post #12 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by klat7292

Yes...my blog spot is www.tastydesignsbykristy.blogspot.com. But I don't have anything posted...YET. icon_lol.gif I just created it before the Labor Day weekend and I went away for a little anniversary getaway with the hubby!! icon_biggrin.gif But I promise to start posting soon.... icon_wink.gif

I do have Sugar Shack's blog as a blog that I am following....I will add others here too...it's great to have cake connections!! thumbs_up.gif

I keep getting a Blogger Status page from June 2009 by following your link. Am I doing it wrong? Everybody elses comes up to their personal blog.

L_Collins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
L_Collins Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 11:01pm
post #13 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkltll

Quote:

I keep getting a Blogger Status page from June 2009 by following your link. Am I doing it wrong? Everybody elses comes up to their personal blog.

I keep getting the same thing...

cas17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cas17 Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 11:35pm
post #14 of 41

i don't have one but my faves are sugarshack's, indydebi's and minette's (wow i didn't know she was on here!) also love bakerella's.

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 1:37am
post #15 of 41

I am trying to get better about publishing to my blog here. icon_biggrin.gif

Jenthecakelady Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 2:45am
post #16 of 41

Wow! I wasn't getting any notifications from this thread-I've got lots of blogs to look at now. I went ahead and started one. I don't have a whole lot on there yet, but I love to read about others' experiences in the cake world. It helps to know that you aren't the only dork who made this mistake or that one and when someone else has a better or different way to do things it's always interesting. Plus, I figure if I ever do get to open a cake shop (in the future of course) it will be great exposure.

Indydebi-I did take a look at yours the other night. I just love your perspective on well, just about everything! I tend to have a dry sense of humor and I love that you can put it in writing and it stills sounds great. Thanks for all of your responses. I'll be checking you all out! icon_wink.gif

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 2:59am
post #17 of 41

i'm working on mine right now but I have a few questions...
how do I add all the blogs I want to follow and have them up on the right hand of the screen?
and how do I change the colors and background, do I need to use html?
here it is so far but i want to make it pink and yellow and add some cake clip-art?
http://its-a-piece-of-cake-blog.blogspot.com/

I love all of ya'lls, they are so pretty and mine looks like spinach..lol

i really was'nt joking when i said computers are'nt my thing icon_redface.gif

kgyurisin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kgyurisin Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 3:03am
post #18 of 41

I just started one as well. I really don't know much about blogging, but I think I could have some fun with this! icon_smile.gif

http://thoroughlymodernhousewife.blogspot.com/

klat7292 Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 3:03am
post #19 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by L_Collins

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkltll

Quote:

I keep getting the same thing...

hey guys...I got the same thing from the link; but when I manually typed in the URL, then it came up! icon_cool.gif Probably something I did wrong!! icon_redface.gif

Hopefully, here's the correct link! :

http://www.tastydesignsbykristy.blogspot.com/ - I'll have something posted soon!! Thanks for all of the great blogs!! thumbs_up.gif

CakeMommyTX Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 3:09am
post #20 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgyurisin

I just started one as well. I really don't know much about blogging, but I think I could have some fun with this! icon_smile.gif

http://thoroughlymodernhousewife.blogspot.com/

how did you change you background and stuff? i love it!

Jenthecakelady Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 3:12am
post #21 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeMommyTX

i'm working on mine right now but I have a few questions...

I love your cakes and I am now your first follower. I use wordpress, so I can't help you with your technical questions, but I'm sure someone can. I'm just learning about mine too.

kgyurisin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kgyurisin Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 3:13am
post #22 of 41

There's a link on the top left of my page. (cutest blog on the block). You just cut and paste. icon_smile.gif That's about as advanced as I'm ready for yet.. icon_razz.gif

CakeMommyTX Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 3:18am
post #23 of 41

awesome, thanx I'm going through them now!

Jenthecakelady-can i follow u if ur on wordpress and i'm on blogspot?

i took me a week to figure out facebook i wonder how long it's going to take to figure this blog thing out..lol

Jenthecakelady Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 3:35am
post #24 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeMommyTX

Jenthecakelady-can i follow u if ur on wordpress and i'm on blogspot?

I'm not sure about all that stuff yet. I just happened to have a Google ID already, so I signed in with it.

sookie77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sookie77 Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 4:45am
post #25 of 41

I have a blog too. Its www.cakefixation.blogspot.com. When people search for me online my blog always comes up before me regular site, so I'm really glad I started it.

I'll be checking out all of y'alls blogs too!

Tracye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tracye Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 5:09am
post #26 of 41

[quote="CakeMommyTX"]i'm working on mine right now but I have a few questions...
how do I add all the blogs I want to follow and have them up on the right hand of the screen?
and how do I change the colors and background, do I need to use html?
here it is so far but i want to make it pink and yellow and add some cake clip-art?
quote]

There are all kinds of articles on how to change it up. Google it. I am NO EXPERT! To put your followers on there, you have to check that box on your dashboard.

Your blog is waaaay cuter than mine, BTW!

klat7292 Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 11:55am
post #27 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephaniecam

I have a blog too. Its www.cakefixation.blogspot.com. When people search for me online my blog always comes up before me regular site, so I'm really glad I started it.

I'll be checking out all of y'alls blogs too!

Hey Stephanie! your link is doing the same thing mine did! icon_cool.gif We are only getting postings about maintenance when we include www

Try to go to your blog home page and copy and paste that url and then re-post it in the forum ... it should start with http://

HTH!! icon_biggrin.gif

sookie77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sookie77 Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 2:25pm
post #28 of 41

thanks Klat!! here it is again

http://www.cakefixation.blogspot.com/

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 2:35pm
post #29 of 41

I have a blog too!

http://designmeacake.com/blog.html

Edna icon_smile.gif

klat7292 Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 7:39pm
post #30 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephaniecam

thanks Klat!! here it is again

http://www.cakefixation.blogspot.com/

thumbs_up.gif

And YAY!! icon_biggrin.gif Tonedna has a blog....GREAT blogs everyone!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%