What's The Best Way To Serve A Stacked Cake?

Decorating By JenniferMcDonald2 Updated 5 Dec 2009 , 10:15pm by KateLS

JenniferMcDonald2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMcDonald2 Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 10:46am
post #1 of 16

What is the best way to serve a stacked cake? Do you have to disassemble the cake? Start at the top after Anniv. tier is taken off?

15 replies
majka_ze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
majka_ze Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 10:56am
post #2 of 16

Yes, disassemble the cake. And start at the bottom - if there is any cake left (meaning complete tier), it will be the smaller one. Easier handling and storage, if needed.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 11:02am
post #3 of 16

Indydebi illustrates how to cut perfect cake slices:

http://www.cateritsimple.com/id10.html

HTH

suzylynn58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzylynn58 Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 11:18am
post #4 of 16

Where can I find one of those cake comb thingies? When I googled it all that came up were the ones for making designs on the sides of cakes.

indydebi = do you know where you got that one?

Thanks!

Susan

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 11:39am
post #5 of 16

They are called cake breakers. Got mine on Ebay (lovely 50s original)!

Just checked and there are dozens on Ebay, priced from a few dollars to expensive silver ones. Check it out!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 2:27pm
post #6 of 16

also known as angel food cake cutter and cheese cutter, but "cake breaker" gives you best results on ebay.

I found my first one in a garage sale over 25 years ago. The seller had no idea what it was for. I can't cut a cake without one!

minerva16 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minerva16 Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 2:52pm
post #7 of 16

I'm sorry I have to post this.... It reminds me of an afro pick my father used growing up. I know sounds gross but, I wonder would it work (new one of course). icon_lol.gif

indydebi Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 4:47pm
post #8 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by minerva16

I'm sorry I have to post this.... It reminds me of an afro pick my father used growing up. I know sounds gross but, I wonder would it work (new one of course). icon_lol.gif

icon_lol.gif When I got my first one 20+ years ago, LOTS of people asked me "How far did you have to chase him to get it?" icon_lol.gif

A couple of years ago, I did a Black wedding. A man came over to me and said, "My wife says there is a comb by the cake and asks if you could remove it because it looks gross." I laughed and told him it was a cake cutting tool. He laughed and asked if I would explain that to his wife. So I did and she burst out laughing, too. Twice before the cake was cut, my comb disappeared. The 2nd time, I couldn't find it, so I went to the wedding planner and asked if she had seen it.

She put her hands on her hips and said, "Debi, I'm gonna explain something to you. You're in a room full of African-American people and there's not ONE person in here who thinks that's a cake cutting tool!" We both burst out laughing and eventually found the comb!

butterfly831915 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterfly831915 Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 6:10pm
post #9 of 16

LMBO--that is very funny. I bought one fo these things and still haven't used it as I am usually not the one cutting the cake and don't want to have it taken or misplaced.

Thanks for the funny story. Made me chuckle.

alvarezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alvarezmom Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 6:51pm
post #10 of 16

LOL THat's funny!!!

Tee-Y Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tee-Y Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 4:36pm
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

She put her hands on her hips and said, "Debi, I'm gonna explain something to you. You're in a room full of African-American people and there's not ONE person in here who thinks that's a cake cutting tool!" We both burst out laughing and eventually found the comb!

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif I'm black, been doing cakes for a while but believe me I'd never heard of or seen a cake breaker until the day I read your article on how to cut up a wedding cake and I believe the same goes for many others judging by the constant questions about it but a CHEESE cutter- that I know about icon_lol.gif .

indydebi Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 4:55pm
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tee-Y

Quote:

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif I'm black, been doing cakes for a while but believe me I'd never heard of or seen a cake breaker until the day I read your article on how to cut up a wedding cake and I believe the same goes for many others judging by the constant questions about it but a CHEESE cutter- that I know about icon_lol.gif .

icon_lol.gif you must be one of "the children" on here! icon_lol.gif because in the 70's, people (particularly men) would walk around with the comb stuck in the back of their Afro. Their hair was just the place to carry it since it wouldn't fit in anyone's pocket! Don't laugh ... it was a very "in" fashion statement to have a comb/pick sticking out of your hair!

Tee-Y Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 6:21pm
post #13 of 16
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

icon_lol.gif you must be one of "the children" on here! icon_lol.gif because in the 70's, people (particularly men) would walk around with the comb stuck in the back of their Afro. Their hair was just the place to carry it since it wouldn't fit in anyone's pocket! Don't laugh ... it was a very "in" fashion statement to have a comb/pick sticking out of your hair!

Whoa! icon_lol.gif I didn't say I I've never seen an afro comb- that would be absurd cos I'm an early 70's CHILD icon_lol.gif, what I've never heard of is a comb-like cake breaker .

indydebi Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 6:25pm
post #14 of 16
Quote:

Whoa! icon_lol.gif I didn't say I I've never seen an afro comb- that would be absurd cos I'm an early 70's CHILD icon_lol.gif, what I've never heard of is a comb-like cake breaker .

Oops!! My red-faced moment then! icon_redface.gif

Tee-Y Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 6:33pm
post #15 of 16

Red-faced!!!!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Indy, that would be the day!!!!!!! icon_lol.gif .No biggie!!!

Anyway BTW: I love your MOMFINGER icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif!!!!!

KateLS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KateLS Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 10:15pm
post #16 of 16

I was in highschool in the 90s in northern Georgia, and it was the style, for a little while, to keep those vertical plastic pick combs in their hair. Even if they didn't have an afro... As long as there was enough hair to hold it. And usually one of the pant legs were rolled up to complete the style. =) It seemed so normal, at the time. He he. =)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%