Filled Cupcakes?

Baking By marushka Updated 7 Sep 2009 , 2:34am by Pastry-Panda

marushka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marushka Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 11:18pm
post #1 of 9

I'm new at cupcakes but wanted to make some with some filling piped in.
Is this something you do when they're still warm? And what is the best # tip to use?
Thanks for any help!

8 replies
backermeister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
backermeister Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 12:15am
post #2 of 9

No you should wait til they are cooled before filling. Some people remove a small core from the cupcake fill and replace kinda like a cork in a wine bottle while some people choose to take a star or round icing tip and place it down through the top and squeeze the filling in until the cupcake feels full. Hard to explain that process but you will probably understand what I mean once you try it. Similar to filling a creampuff.hth icon_smile.gif

dorie67 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dorie67 Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 12:29am
post #3 of 9

I have done this once before and it was fun, the only thing is that when you are filling them keep an eye on the cupcake, I filled some too much and they blew out of the wrapper! Good Luck. princess.gif

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 12:38am
post #4 of 9

I do a white chocolate cupcake with raspberry filling. The best thing I ever bought was the Wilton Cupcake Kit. It has a long tube-like tip that is perfect for filling. It is narrow and angled at one end, insert it into the cupcake, use gentle pressure to fill the cupcake as you lift the tip out at the same time. It makes the most gorgeous filling and just the perfect amount with only a small hole on the surface of the cupcake.

http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=2A9AFACA-423B-522D-F5C6F759E9566956

HeatherWantsCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HeatherWantsCake Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 1:01am
post #5 of 9

I've been trying to find tip 230 (the Bismark tip for fillings in the Wilton cupcake kit) separately here in town and haven't had any luck. I've got everything else in the kit, so can't see spending the money for just that one tip. I'd also be curious what other tips/methods people have used.

I wonder if Michaels or the Bulk Barn would order me in a tip.. hm... I should ask. (Sorry.. thinking aloud..)

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 1:40am
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherWantsCake

I've been trying to find tip 230 (the Bismark tip for fillings in the Wilton cupcake kit) separately here in town and haven't had any luck. I've got everything else in the kit, so can't see spending the money for just that one tip. I'd also be curious what other tips/methods people have used.

I wonder if Michaels or the Bulk Barn would order me in a tip.. hm... I should ask. (Sorry.. thinking aloud..)

I never could find it alone either, and did not have the large round tip so I figured $4.00 for the kit (used a 50% coupon from Michaels) was worth the duplicates. Since then, I have found it alone on line... you could order it if you don't mind paying postage which is probably ridiculous.

http://www.kitchenkrafts.com/product.asp?pn=DT0230&bhcd2=1252287369

Mme_K Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mme_K Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 2:13am
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherWantsCake

Found this @ Golda's Kitchen in Mississauga.....

http://www.goldaskitchen.com/merchant.ihtml?pid=968&step=4

HTH

dsilbern Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilbern Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 2:30am
post #8 of 9

I just made my first batch of filled cupcakes with this tip today - it was easy and fun. I made 250 mixed regular and sugar free and it didn't take long at all. Much easier than when I used to cut out "cones" to fill them.

Here's my shameless attempt at bragging :
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1455110

Pastry-Panda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastry-Panda Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 2:34am
post #9 of 9

I must confess I was weak enough to buy the Wilton kit for 7 or 8 dollars just for that tip which I don't even use now. I just stuff a round or star tip into a cupcake till it's heavy but not exploded.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%