Wedding Cookie Display

Decorating By Jeannem Updated 8 Sep 2009 , 5:11pm by OregonCakeLady

Jeannem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeannem Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 1:53pm
post #1 of 44

I have a bride that wants to serve a decorated cake cookie in lieu of cake..she's having me make 250 cookies and just a small cake for display/pictures. We're now trying to figure out what to do with the cookies. I'm thinking if we display them on a table, guests will eat them during the reception, and then look for cake for dessert.

I'm thinking we should display just a few cookies around the cake, and have someone "serve" the cookies at the end of the buffet line.

How have others handled this?? TIA for your help.

43 replies
Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 2:08pm
post #2 of 44

I had one bride wanting cookies to serve as placecards, I think she had a cake to serve as well though. Otherwise have them displayed nicely at the exit. Most guests would however expect cake, she should tell them beforehand, that she rather spend more on entertainment and other food, because perhaps she and her husband prefer salty foods instead of sweet. It is her day, not the guests after all. it should reflect her taste

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 2:15pm
post #3 of 44

I like your idea of having a few out with the cake as decoration, then bringing out the rest of the cookies at the end of the buffet. People can either get one at that time or grab one on their way out for the evening.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 2:56pm
post #4 of 44

I've never heard of such a thing. Brides are getting tacky. So with the smaller cake, how are they going to decide who gets a piece? Also, how much do you charge for a cookie? Cause a wedding cookie averages $4-5 a cookie, which is the same as a piece of cake.

And for those of you who are offended by the tacky statement, yes it is tacky. It's as tacky as having a cash bar. You don't give your guest less, then someone else. I didn't scale back my wedding, I scaled back my guest list.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 3:15pm
post #5 of 44

I may have misunderstood but I read the OP as they are having something like a 6" or an 8" cake just for the cake-cutting photo. Then all guests get a cookie instead.

LaBellaFlor Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 3:20pm
post #6 of 44

It says small cake, so I always think a smaller version of a cake, like a 6" & 8 or 9". Thats still al ot of cookies

indydebi Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 3:34pm
post #7 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeannem

I'm thinking if we display them on a table, guests will eat them during the reception, and then look for cake for dessert.

I've had similar problems with catering. People have actually removed the chafer pan lids and started making a plate of food before the bride and groom arrive. They've started eating the fresh fruit that is part of the dinner. They've used MY dinner silverware for appetizers supplied by the family.

Things I've learned: Plates and silverware do not get set out ahead of time. If they have to be set out, the saran wrap stays on until we are ready to serve.

Fresh fruit can be placed in the bowls but bowls are kept in the kitchen until ready to serve OR saran wrap is placed over the filled bowl.

I have a wedding coming up and the bride doesn't want the chocolate fountain opened up to the guests until she and the groom arrive. I HAVE to get the choc warmed and running so the bride asked us to station a person by the fountain to tell people "stay out until the bride gets here!" She's cool bride and told us to use just those words! icon_lol.gif )

If the cookies are on a tray, you could saran wrap them as a clue to "stay out!" Station a person by the cookie table to say "stay out!" icon_biggrin.gif PUt a sign up that explains, "Please do not eat these cookies yet ... they will be served as your dessert."

LaBellaFlor Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 3:52pm
post #8 of 44

I can't believe people start eating the food before the bride and groom are announced. We had a cocktail hour, so they ate then, but not the actual dinner food.

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 5:23pm
post #9 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Station a person by the cookie table to say "stay out!" icon_biggrin.gif PUt a sign up that explains, "Please do not eat these cookies yet ... they will be served as your dessert."

I actually saw a wedding show where the bride asked one of her little nephews - a young man around the age of 10 or 12 who SO wanted to be part of the wedding - to be the official sentry at the table with the candy bar set up. His job was to politely tell anyone who approached that the candy bar will be open after the dinner has been served and he was THRILLED to have such an important job! Being able to include this little guy in this manner was very clever and served not only the purpose of including him, but also of having a "guard" to make sure no one snuck any homemade truffles before they were allowed! icon_smile.gif

indydebi Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 6:21pm
post #10 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBellaFlor

I can't believe people start eating the food before the bride and groom are announced.

My own SISTER is guilty! It was her son's wedding. Aunt Debi did the cake and food, of course. Appetizers, too. Niece comes up to me and mom-of-the-groom (my sister) and say she's hungry. I point out the appetizer table. She whines, "But I don't likeTHAT food!"

Sis (MOG) turns to me and says, "Is it ok to let people eat before the bride/groom get here?"

I give her my best "you are a big freakin' MORON look" as I say to her, using my best "DUH!" tone of voice: " uh......... NOOOO-oooooo!"

(SHe's my favorite sister and my smartest sibling, but even SHE has her moments! icon_lol.gif )

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 1:30am
post #11 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:

I can't believe people start eating the food before the bride and groom are announced.

My own SISTER is guilty! It was her son's wedding. Aunt Debi did the cake and food, of course. Appetizers, too. Niece comes up to me and mom-of-the-groom (my sister) and say she's hungry. I point out the appetizer table. She whines, "But I don't likeTHAT food!"

Sis (MOG) turns to me and says, "Is it ok to let people eat before the bride/groom get here?"

I give her my best "you are a big freakin' MORON look" as I say to her, using my best "DUH!" tone of voice: " uh......... NOOOO-oooooo!"

(SHe's my favorite sister and my smartest sibling, but even SHE has her moments! icon_lol.gif )

icon_lol.gif LOL! You crack me up!

Jeannem Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 2:03pm
post #12 of 44

I didn't realize serving a decorated cookie in the shape of a wedding cake would come off as tacky!! I thought it was a fine idea--something different that I could do in advance...

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 2:18pm
post #13 of 44

I don't think it is tacky at all, a lot of my friends don't eat cake but almost anyone would eat cookies, plus they could always take it home for their kids. Can't do that with cake.

LaBellaFlor Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 2:34pm
post #14 of 44

I know plenty of people that take cake home from a wedding. Heck, they make boxes just for that. If its part of a dessert bar, okay. But if your having a smaller version of a cake, that only a few may get a piece of, and everyone else gets a cookie, tacky.

Jeannem Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 2:47pm
post #15 of 44

Oh, they're not planning on serving the cake--it's just for pictures. Really no different than renting a display cake and serving slab cake from the back..

Criola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Criola Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 2:53pm
post #16 of 44
Quote:

I know plenty of people that take cake home from a wedding. Heck, they make boxes just for that. If its part of a dessert bar, okay. But if your having a smaller version of a cake, that only a few may get a piece of, and everyone else gets a cookie, tacky.

I agree. I can't see past the fact that some will get cake and others will get a cookie....as someone who looks forward to the cake myself =)

BTW I have been to plenty of weddings where guests who could not wait and or have no ettiquete and started eating before the bride and groom arrived...lol

Liz

Criola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Criola Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 2:57pm
post #17 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeannem

Oh, they're not planning on serving the cake--it's just for pictures. Really no different than renting a display cake and serving slab cake from the back..

Which means that folks may wait for cake to be brought out...ie...
"the slab cake from the back"....sorry just my 2 cents

Liz

BabyC1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BabyC1985 Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 2:58pm
post #18 of 44

i also dont think cookies are tacky at all, i like them. Next month i am making 70 place card cookies. They are very tasteful and pretty.

LaBellaFlor Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 3:14pm
post #19 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyC1985

i also dont think cookies are tacky at all, i like them. Next month i am making 70 place card cookies. They are very tasteful and pretty.

I agree with you on this. I think they look very elegant as a place card or a favor. In fact, I will be using place card cookies for my daughter's quinceanera. But as the main dessert along side a small cake, I think is tacky.

BabyC1985 Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 3:39pm
post #20 of 44
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyC1985

I agree with you on this. I think they look very elegant as a place card or a favor. In fact, I will be using place card cookies for my daughter's quinceanera. But as the main dessert along side a small cake, I think is tacky.

I understand what you are saying, I had enough cake at my wedding to serve the guests twice over!! And I think that the wedding cake is and should be a traditional part of every wedding. And i guess if i was at that wedding i might be thinking wheres my cake?? I think the cookies would be welcomed alot more if they were served along with the cake as an option or as a favour.

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 7:08pm
post #21 of 44

If you read the op posting correctly, they are not serving just some people cake. The cake is for pics, no one is getting it. The cookie is the dessert, NOT TACKY

LaBellaFlor Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 7:18pm
post #22 of 44

And what do you think people are going to think when they see a small cake on display? 250 cookies mean 250 guest. I gurantee half expect some type of dessert and I don't think A cookie qualiffies. My opinion and I say TACKY.

makeminepink Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
makeminepink Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 7:29pm
post #23 of 44

No offense to anyone--------love you all, but................who the heck cares?? Am I the only one who reads the posts and sometimes thinks, aren't there bigger problems in the world???? Who the heck cares if you get a cookie instead of a freakin piece of cake? Be thankful to be on this planet, have plenty to the point we are all spoiled, have a cookie and MOVE ON!

LaBellaFlor Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 7:41pm
post #24 of 44

You can say that about any subject. So what, we don't discuss or disagree about anything, cause it's not earth moving?

makeminepink Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 7:44pm
post #25 of 44

True, you're right-- it caught me in a mood. But what, pray tell me-- with all due respect-- is tacky about a cookie that some decorator gave individual attention to? I know......... it's just your opinion and this is mine icon_smile.gif Love CakeCentral!

LaBellaFlor Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 7:48pm
post #26 of 44

A cookie is not tacky, just they way it's been presented.

And of course I love Cake Central and all the crazy and varied threads on here. icon_wink.gif

makeminepink Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 7:55pm
post #27 of 44

I don't see why you can't have the cookies displayed just like they're doing cupcakes now, on a tower in the general shape of a cake. You could wrap them indidividually so they can be taken if they want.

Lenette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenette Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 8:00pm
post #28 of 44

Disclaimer- All said in a friendly tone, no attitude intended:

It's not our wedding, it's not our order. A fellow CC'er came here for advice on the best way to present. She is just trying to do a good job for her client as we all do.

Tacky? Well... if that's the way you feel. I know it is important for everyone to feel they can express their opinion. Fine.

Bottom line the OP wants advice on how to do her best for a customer. We don't always agree with every order we get but we still need to do it right. icon_smile.gif

To that end. what about those cookie trees folks were trying out a while back? They are very pretty and make a nice presentation while giving the indication that they cookies are part of the display. I have no idea how to attach pics but if you search it here or google it you will see what I mean. You could do some of them and just have the rest in the back.

I also like the idea of stationing a relative to let folks know not to eat them. I have a cousin who would have LUV'd that job. icon_biggrin.gif

prchick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prchick Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 8:19pm
post #29 of 44

I think that the bride should do what ever she wants. It is her day so every thing should be to her liking. Since when do we have to impress people, when a day like this is to share the special moment.

BabyC1985 Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 9:18pm
post #30 of 44

I finaly found some cookie displays!!
This one is using a stand, looks nice. Is about half way down the page
http://www.wedding-ideas-and-details.com/inexpensive-wedding-ideas.html

I love this one, Its cupcakes and cookies but would be a nice idea to have all cookie. Just like the different heights looks very nice
http://www.trendsettingwedding.com/2009/06/ways-to-modernize-your-event-cool-desserts-goodies.html

and this one is for favour displays, but they are so pretty they might give you some ideas on how to display your cookies

http://www.marthastewartweddings.com/diy-favors?&contentid=67f698ac9800c110VgnVCM1000003d370a0aRCRD#slide_1

Hope they help, good luck

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%