Please Help! I Need Advice!

Decorating By tracilm Updated 9 Sep 2009 , 3:49pm by sadsmile

tracilm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracilm Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 3:58am
post #1 of 11

OK, this is the problem... I was asked to do a hunting theme cake for next weekend. I was excited because I had never done one. The client asked for a sketch which I sent her and she liked. She had asked for a deer stand with a certain pattern of camo on it and deer and a gun. I had all of those in sketch and she approved it. About a day later she sent me a picture of a tree stump cake with shotgun shells around bottom and asked if I could do something like that. I said I could, but I needed to know exactly what she wanted. It turns out that she wants the tree stump with all of the other stuff on top. I am just not sure how to do it so that it doesn't look odd. Then to top off the problem, I could only find a rather large deer and no hunters at all. It only needs to feed about 20 people, so I was going to do a double layer 8" round. I don't know what to do!!

Any advice or ideas would be really helpful. Sorry this is so long.

10 replies
kathyran Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathyran Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 4:07am
post #2 of 11

You could maybe do a cupcake on top of the 8 inch and that could be your tree stump. Just make everything mini. I know at hobby lobby they have little deer and other animals in sets. It is usually by the train kits and models.

tracilm Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 1:55am
post #3 of 11

Anyone else?

mavreader Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mavreader Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 2:40am
post #4 of 11

Maybe you could do the tree stup design on the top of the cake and on the sides you could pipe the shotgun, or make it out of gumpaste. That would look neat.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 2:54am
post #5 of 11

some whimsical takes.

on the stump is the deer stand (hunter afraid of heights)

behind the hunter in the stand on the stump stands the deer --- sticking out its tongue in the nah nah you can't get me style

deer has shells in front paws and the gun is safely ensconced in the deer's rack (new use of antlers -- gun rack!)

-------

deer is standing on the stump making like a tree (holding branches etc.) hunter is looking stupid in his stand on nearby tree. Hunter has gun and shells)

------

hunter is standing on stump looking for deer that is hiding in his stand (don't ask how a deer climbs trees!) hunter is also looking for gun and shells. Hunter better run fast as deer is about to shoot him (guess who has the gun and shells!)

------

stump has a crudely labeled sign "he went thata way" -- hunter in stand with gun and shells, deer hiding (standing) vertically behind tree hunter is in -- antlers stick out either side of tree

----

hunter sitting on stump reading "how to hunt deer" looking a check list:

1) get a gun
2) get shells
3) get a stand
4) find deer

shells in box at hunters feet
gun across his lap
deer looking over his shoulder

shebaben Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shebaben Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 3:13am
post #6 of 11

Doug, you crack me up!!!!!! Maybe it could say "Bambi" somewhere too!!!!!

BeeBoos-8599_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 3:25am
post #7 of 11

Ok, how about you do the tree stump then in a "snowglobeesque" style do the hunting scene out of gumpaste. You can make the hunter in his tree stand, the deer grazing in the field all right there on the stump. So it is a little world all its own. I think it would be cool. The only thing you may have to use a toy for is the deer. You should be able to pull off the hunter in the stand part. The grass and other forest items are certainly doable. Maybe add some small woodland creatures.

tracilm Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 3:59am
post #8 of 11

Thanks!!

Those are great ideas! I think I am going about it in the "snowglobeesque" way. I'm just going to do the whole cake as tree stump and put the tree stand toward the back on top. The deer will be to one side right beside a deer feeder with deer feed on the ground around it. Oh, there will be shotgun shells on the "ground" around the bottom of the stump. I just hope it turns out to be what she wanted or at least close. Thanks again for all your ideas!

OregonCakeLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OregonCakeLady Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 12:36pm
post #9 of 11

Next time you should probably make sure you can get the toppers before you promise them to a customer icon_wink.gif Just tell her that you made a mistake and you need to make sure that you can get the right toppers.

I don't know how to solve the problem of cakes that you know are going to be ugly. I have decided that I am going to make my best effort to tell the customer in a polite way that it's just not going to look good. I have tried just doing what they want in these situations, and they are always dissapointed. Then I think to myself, "I knew it wasn't going to look good but they still wanted it."
You've just got to tell her that she can totally do what she wants but in your professional opinion,......(fill in blank)......... would look better.

colombean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
colombean Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 3:24pm
post #10 of 11

maybe the tree stump is the actual cake. and then you could put the pieces around the stump.

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 3:49pm
post #11 of 11

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%