Have A Good Day

Decorating By -K8memphis Updated 11 Sep 2009 , 2:45am by -K8memphis

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 2:48pm
post #31 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by lthiele

Doug you are so funny. Ok I'm changing the song............ tilits head to side, looks at ghastly green curtains, makes clothes for whole family and lines them up on the stairs...... er hum........

Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens,
Bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens,
Brown paper packages tied up with string,
These are a few of my favourite things.

Chorus
When the dog bites, when the bee stings,
When I'm feeling sad,
I simply remember my favourite things,
And then I dont feel so bad.

Feel better Kate - you have us singing on the other side of the globe! icon_razz.gif
Lauren

Oh great, now that song is stuck in my head! icon_lol.gif

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 3:02pm
post #32 of 93
Quote:

Doug you are so funny. Ok I'm changing the song............ tilits head to side, looks at ghastly green curtains, makes clothes for whole family and lines them up on the stairs...... er hum........

Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens,
Bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens,
Brown paper packages tied up with string,
These are a few of my favourite things.

Chorus
When the dog bites, when the bee stings,
When I'm feeling sad,
I simply remember my favourite things,
And then I dont feel so bad.

Feel better Kate - you have us singing on the other side of the globe! icon_razz.gif
Lauren

OH NO --- a song from "The Sound of Mucous!"

I go to the hills and the sound of mucous (clears throat, spits)

----

tho' I still look more the clown!!! icon_razz.gif

-----------

CLOWNING and song quote competition now on to cheer up K8Memphis-

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 3:27pm
post #33 of 93

Thank you all a million times more than very very very much.

Besides not hitting their elusive and ill-defined mark, I was momentarily disqualified, not allowed to start with the other kids. A rule was being interpreted which at best should have resulted in my simply being made to redo something.

But they said, "No you cannot start." While the other worked away.

Which tended to eff my head and there was no brain left by the end of the process when I coulda used it.

There's rivers of minutiae more--but even me, as one of the CC's most voluminous word production lines --I give myself kudos for summing up so succinctly a major factor of my discomfort.

Ices has declined to refund my $150 fee.

I really appreciate y'all's care for me.

Doug, you can turn the pipes off now--- icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Lauren, don't quit your day job -- icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

All you guys are the best!!!

lthiele Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lthiele Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 3:34pm
post #34 of 93

Wait............. I hear something........

Guess mine is not the first heart broken, my eyes are not the first to cry
I'm not the first to know, there's just no gettin' over you

Hello, I'm just a fool who's willing to sit around and wait for you
But baby can't you see, there's nothin' else for me to do
I'm hopelessly devoted to you

But now there's nowhere to hide, since you pushed my love aside
I'm not in my head, hopelessly devoted to you
Hopelessly devoted to you, hopelessly devoted to you

Aaaaaaagggghhhhhhh it's "K8 tie Dee!"

-K8memphis Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 4:52pm
post #35 of 93

Simon Cowell called & wants his tv show back.

icon_lol.gif

-K8memphis Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 9:25pm
post #36 of 93

Which let me hasten to say that the discomfort I referenced is that I was not allowed to start on time. It was like hitting a brick wall at 90 miles an hour.

How 'bout these apples:
The test was on Wednesday & we were supposed to get our results announced at the banquet Saturday night. Wednesday night after it was over I was offered a waiver to sign that if I kept it a secret I could find out my results sooner. I signed. I said no pressure but when do we find out? Thursday late afternoon early evening. Cool.

Never happened.

Even though I contacted them.

We had a family emergency and so we left Friday morning.

Saturday night I'm texting a cake buddy at the banquet to tell me if I made it.

Why Why Why and how could one organization noted for this saccharin overload of "caring and sharing" in their mission statement treat anyone even me so carelessly or conduct business is this most slipshod way.

If anyone goes for this you should be competition winning level good. This however is the standard I was toiling under,

Quote:
Quote:

Question: Do we need to think "show " work or good quality decorating?
Answer: Well, in the perfect world, they'd be the same thing. In reality, though, I'm guessing we'll see something in between. I don't have any
illusions that in 8 hours anyone will put together something that could win the Tulsa show. But by the same token, I'm sure we'll see a higher
caliber of work than you'd coming out of a large production bakery. The RBA has a certification program for decorators that leans more toward
production work as I understand it. I think that's terrific, and I don't want to give the impression that I'm degrading it. RBA and ICES have different
focuses, and our certification programs should reflect that. I'd expect those who achieve ICES certification will show skills and techniques that
just aren't viable to use when you've got to decorate 25 or more cakes each day."

I mean how would you interpret that?

I'm nothing if not in between show quality and good quality decorating.

If they'd said you gotta be show competition quality I wouldn'ta done it.

A higher caliber than a large production bakery? To me that meant it was the accumulation of skills done well. I had four displays. You had to do 8 skills of your choice from a list.

What a crock.

What a cluster f___.

What say you?

Doug Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 9:43pm
post #37 of 93

my interp: I'll meet you somewhere between NYC and LA.

hmmmm could we be more specific!?

sugarandslice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarandslice Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 9:45pm
post #38 of 93

How about this one for the irreverent amongst us:

"Some things in life are bad,
They can really make you mad,
Other things just make you swear and curse,
When you're chewing on life's gristle,
Don't grumble,
Give a whistle
And this'll help things turn out for the best.
And...
Always look on the bright side of life.
[whistle]
Always look on the light side of life.
[whistle]
If life seems jolly rotten,
There's something you've forgotten,
And that's to laugh and smile and dance and sing.
When you're feeling in the dumps,
Don't be silly chumps.
Just purse your lips and whistle.
That's the thing.
And...
Always look on the bright side of life.
[whistle]
Always look on the right side of life"

It always makes me smile!!

Hope things are looking a little brighter today Kate.

Loving your work everyone! icon_biggrin.gif

Emma

-K8memphis Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 9:54pm
post #39 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

my interp: I'll meet you somewhere between NYC and LA.

hmmmm could we be more specific!?

icon_lol.gif

But why did I believe that?

-K8memphis Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 10:32pm
post #40 of 93

So here's what I did in less than eight hours after the head on collison at the start gate--y'know like they did in vaudelville where they had the big hook & grabbed you by your goitered neck & snatched you back:

my shoe

(they said my roses looked like pine cones but they passed 'em)

I made all that baby's breath (in advance) I did all that painting for no points--the skill on this one is 1 point for piping.

I mean I got to choose all my skills--I'm just saying. I mean in order for me to do this cake I had to cut a stencil on site.

They flunked me my on my Lambeth--wasn't precise enough.

They flunked this baby in the angel wings although it has all the skills that I said it would.

I completed all my displays--could they have been better? Ahh yeah--try popping that out in less than eight hours.

Two tiers of the 3-tier was decorated in advance and the roses were made in advance then demo-d on site.

The picture frame was done in advance I just piped one set of the Lambeth dooeys.

-K8memphis Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 10:37pm
post #41 of 93

Riddle me this one, Batman.

You think someone who is not a master cake artist could do that in less than eight hours?

<hilarious laughter>

I couldn't be happier those people found me not of their ilk--'cause dude, they were pretty ilky their own selves.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 10:41pm
post #42 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by K8memphis-

Simon Cowell called & wants his tv show back.

icon_lol.gif

icon_lol.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Theresa icon_smile.gif

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 10:52pm
post #43 of 93

Huh? Do I realllly have to go read this from the beginning to catch up? I already have a headache. icon_sad.gif

playingwithsugar Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 10:54pm
post #44 of 93

Does anyone know the answer to this question --

Is this certification recognized/accepted by any other organization, such as RBA, any culinary/pastry schools, the MOF in France, anything?

Theresa icon_smile.gif

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 10:55pm
post #45 of 93

Gah! Not gonna read it! Ok, caught this part:

"I was disqualified for a time"....well then, ya probably did something that would make this chick laugh out loud and be kicked out of the room with ya! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

lthiele Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lthiele Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 12:12am
post #46 of 93

Jamie - I have no friggin idea what's goin on either. I didn't see the original post and I have no clue what ICES is about, though I'm gathering it's important!

BUT Doug and Emma - our Kate is still upset despite our most beautiful voices, so y'all join in now with me, Annie, the Von Trapps, Timon and Pumbaa................

Hakuna Matata! What a wonderful phrase

Hakuna Matata! Ain't no passing craze

It means no worries for the rest of your days

It's our problem-free philosophy

Hakuna Matata!

Hakuna Matata?
(Picture the conga line going right in front of those stiff judges!!) Ok I'm getting thrown out with you Jamie! Well I'm laughing! icon_lol.gif

playingwithsugar Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 12:18am
post #47 of 93
Quote:

I have no clue what ICES is about, though I'm gathering it's important!

Only in their think-their-butts-don't-stink cake-brainwashed eyes. I mean, really, this is an organization that would not allow a certain internationally award winning, master decorator (who has been decorating longer than some of those board members have been out of high school, demo'd and taught classes at their convention more times than she can remember), be an approved ICES instructor unless she proved herself to them (see the criteria on their website).

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Doug Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 12:22am
post #48 of 93

can I dust of my ancient tap dance shoes -- and baton too?

(yep mom thought it cute for a 4-year-old boy to take baton lessons -- that was before she figured out she had a two-left feet total klutz on her hands!)

oooooo and can i be pumba? I've got the right shape for it!!! icon_rolleyes.gif

Hakuna Matata! What a wonderful phrase
Hakuna Matata! Ain't no passing craze
It means no worries for the rest of your days
It's our problem-free philosophy
Hakuna Matata!
Hakuna Matata!

(will be sure to fall on judges and squash them FLAT!)

playingwithsugar Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 12:27am
post #49 of 93

Everybody Sing! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

-K8memphis Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 12:37am
post #50 of 93

Cliff Notes Version

ICes is the international cake exploration society--I wanted to use this certification to apply for a zoning waiver here in Elvistown.

I was momentarily disqualified, not allowed to start with the other kids. A rule was being interpreted which at best should have resulted in my simply being made to redo something.

But they said, "No you cannot start." While the other worked away.

It was like hitting a brick wall at 90 miles an hour.

How 'bout these apples:
The test was on Wednesday & we were supposed to get our results announced at the banquet Saturday night. Wednesday night after it was over I was offered a waiver to sign that if I kept it a secret I could find out my results sooner. I signed. I said no pressure but when do we find out? Thursday late afternoon early evening. Cool.

Never notified for a week and many many emails (secret decoder ring notwithstanding).

Why Why Why and how could one organization noted for this saccharin overload of "caring and sharing" in their mission statement treat anyone even me so carelessly or conduct business is this most slipshod way.

Quote:
Quote:

Question: Do we need to think "show " work or good quality decorating?
Answer: Well, in the perfect world, they'd be the same thing. In reality, though, I'm guessing we'll see something in between. I don't have any
illusions that in 8 hours anyone will put together something that could win the Tulsa show. But by the same token, I'm sure we'll see
a higher
caliber of work than you'd coming out of a large production bakery
. The RBA has a certification program for decorators that leans more toward
production work as I understand it. I think that's terrific, and I don't want to give the impression that I'm degrading it. RBA and ICES have different
focuses, and our certification programs should reflect that. I'd expect those who achieve ICES certification will show
skills and techniques that
just aren't viable to use when you've got to decorate 25 or more cakes each day."[/

I mean how would you interpret that?

What a crock.

What a cluster f___.

What say you?

adree313 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adree313 Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 12:39am
post #51 of 93

aw man, now i have the NEED to watch the lion king and i don't have the dvd icon_cry.gif

kate, i hope you can let this go (eventually) and find some comfort in the fact that everyone here at CC thinks you're incredible, talented, and knowledgeable (and let's face it, we're the only ones that matter right?! icon_biggrin.gif )

adree313 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adree313 Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 12:43am
post #52 of 93

oh, and can i just say how AMAZING all of your work at the ICES looks. i wish the pictures were a little bigger so we could see just how amazing it all is.

8 hours? *shakes head* unbelievable.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 1:18am
post #53 of 93

(I had to fix dinner and now have time to comment) - Kate, it took incredible talent and experience to even be able to GET to the point of trying for that certification. You did amazing work - under more stress than I (or most of us on here for that mater) could ever even imagine! All who know you know what skills you have and what you can do with sugar - do not let this keep eating at you - it is now in your past and done with. I wish with all my heart that you would have had a more positive experience and outcome - you are so admired here for all you do and who you are.

AND on a silly note.......I know MOST days I am completely "certifiable". icon_wink.gif

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

nannie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannie Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 1:42am
post #54 of 93

If you click on the pictures, you get a bigger version.

Ok, those cakes are amazing. I can't believe you did them all in 8 hours icon_eek.gif

That baby is so creative it's like something out of a fairy tale. And those roses do NOT look like pine cones.

Get new glasses judges.

sorry about all of this.......... and really sorry I didn't get to meet you at ICES icon_cry.gif my loss

((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))

PianoDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PianoDiva Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 4:39am
post #55 of 93

After all the musical theater ditties have been sung, come on over to the piano bar where you can drown your sorrows in a glass of your fave beverage, and I'll be happy to serenade you with this little cutie (with apologies to Jobim):

Tall and wan and pale and sickly,
the Girl with Emphysema goes walking
And when she's walking, each step she takes,
She goes, "Ah ah ach (dissolve into huge coughing fit)"

Doug Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 4:42am
post #56 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by PianoDiva

After all the musical theater ditties have been sung, come on over to the piano bar where you can drown your sorrows in a glass of your fave beverage, and I'll be happy to serenade you with this little cutie (with apologies to Jobim):

Tall and wan and pale and sickly,
the Girl with Emphysema goes walking
And when she's walking, each step she takes,
She goes, "Ah ah ach (dissolve into huge coughing fit)"

ROFL!!!!!!

-K8memphis Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 10:34am
post #57 of 93

Simon called again--he said, "Keep the show!"

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

-K8memphis Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 1:12pm
post #58 of 93

There's two issues for me.
One is I lost.
The other is they did not conduct a fair contest because they didn't even go by their own rules.

They used a different criteria in judging than they advertised:

Quote:
Quote:

I'd expect those who achieve ICES certification will show skills and techniques that just aren't viable to use when you've got to decorate 25 or more cakes each day.

Does this seem to you that you it was the variety of skills not the supreme perfection like needs to be demonstrated like in Tulsa. Show your skills and techniques.

>>The reason I am only now talking about this in detail is because I was holding my breath hoping against hope that they would refund my $150 fee because they were such freaking screwups. I just got the email that no they are not.

One kind person did say they would pay my entrance fee to do it again. While very generous, no thank you very much. Screw me once shame on them screw me twice I'll need to be commited somewhere. I was gonna use this to apply for a zoning waiver. This is not (just) about a bruised ego.

And--I know I'm a really good decorator and cake designer--this did not cause my conficence in myself as an artist to suffer. I'm not competitor girl--I'm not into being better deemed than someone else that's why this appealed to me plus the professional boost it might give.

I demonstrated all the skills I said I was gonna do. My plans were submitted in advance and pre-approved.

Because I was never contacted with results as promised~~kinda points to them not taking me serious at all after the non-start~maybe they never did judge my stuff~~maybe it took two weeks after the event to get comments because they never commented in the first place.

After I paid my money to sign up they changed the rules too--couple months later.

Cluster f___ much?

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 3:00pm
post #59 of 93

I hate ICES.

I had such a bad experience with that organization a few years back I love reading negative stuff about them!!! haha

Holier-than-thou....... the whole lot.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 3:17pm
post #60 of 93

Wow. All that had to be done in 8 hrs.?!?! I so don't get the pine cone thing at all! It's obvious they are roses. All I can say is awesome work.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%