Thank Goodness For Credit Card Alerts!

Lounge By playingwithsugar Updated 4 Sep 2009 , 1:36pm by Bijoudelanuit

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 1:00pm
post #1 of 3

I do all the banking and bill paying at home, so all my son's bills/payments/alerts come to my e-mail addy.

Very late yesterday, two e-mail alerts came in noting an international transaction on his credit card. The trouble being, he hasn't used that card in months, as he's been paying the card off so he can increase his credit score.

After speaking with both the credit card company (CapitalOne) and the vendor, all is well. The notice was for a pre-purchase authorization. The vendor cancelled the purchase and gave me a cancellation code, then gave me the perp's e-mail address, so it can be reported to the authorities for investigation and prosecution. We then called CapOne back, so Dan could close the current account and issue a new one.

After this, I am going back into my own accounts and setting up every e-mail and text message alert there is.

If you have that option on your accounts, I strongly suggest you use the service. You never know these days, do you?

Theresa icon_smile.gif

2 replies
michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 1:27pm
post #2 of 3

A couple of weeks ago someone got my Mastercard numbers and called MC to inquire about my available credit. MC shut down my card and called to alert me. I have no idea where they got my numbers, this world is full of scammers!

Bijoudelanuit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bijoudelanuit Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 1:36pm
post #3 of 3

It's frightening what people will do. A year ago I was at a full service gas station and paid by credit card. I happen to look up in the rear view mirror to notice the attendant using his cell phone to either record or photograph my credit card! Thankfully I saw and canceled the card!

Just yesterday I went to school and another teacher's purse was stolen from her office! We're still on vacation, but were there trying to get set up and organized for next week- so there were fewer people in the building. The man came in, went door to door checking unlocked rooms! They have him on video in the stairwell going through the purse- he took her license, cash and credit cards and dropped the purse there!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%