Need Help......what Is This And How Do I Do It???????

Decorating By apetricek Updated 4 Sep 2009 , 11:14am by mindy1204

apetricek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
apetricek Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 12:51am
post #1 of 16

Hi guys have been approached by a customer to do the attached problem with the cake overall....but what do you guys think the gray ribbon is??? Is it actually ribbon, strips of fondant/gumpaste? Please help I would love to make this cake for this customer, but want to make sure I know what I am doing with it. They actually want real flowers on just the ribbon...I am at a loss....also anyone ever done would be the best way to go about doing this? HELP PLEASE!!!!!

15 replies
onlymadaresane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onlymadaresane Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 1:00am
post #2 of 16

What about fondant from an extruder?? I'm just guessing here...

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 1:09am
post #3 of 16

looks like silk cord to me.

rharris524 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rharris524 Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 1:10am
post #4 of 16

it looks like silk cord or a thin ribbon to me

G_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
G_Cakes Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 1:23am
post #5 of 16

Have to agree on the silk cord or ribbon theory icon_smile.gif

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 1:30am
post #6 of 16
Originally Posted by MissLizzy

Have to agree on the silk cord or ribbon theory icon_smile.gif

Ditto - maybe adhered with a bit of royal icing?

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 1:31am
post #7 of 16

I think they're pick-up sticks - just joking.
They look too stiff to be fondant. But maybe you could mix fondant and tylose powder, press it through a clay extruder and let them dry very hard. Then place on cake. Make a lot because they are bound to break

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 1:36am
post #8 of 16

This is a computer-generated image, right? icon_confused.gif Do you provide that service to your clients, or did they bring it to you? I like it! I'd love to do them by computer as well, it's so much better than my hand-sketches.

If you iced your cake in fondant, the grey ribbon would just be attached with tiny dots of royal icing for support, yes. I think you'd need to use a 1/8"- 1/4" width of ribbon max.

Really pretty design though, wow!

itsacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsacake Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 1:39am
post #9 of 16

This looks to me to be very much in the style of Ron Ben Israel. He only uses gumpaste flowers and fondant and gumpaste ribbons, so I'd vote for that as the way this is done.

tatorchip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatorchip Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 1:45am
post #10 of 16

you could use fondant in shorter strips and bump the ends together and with a damp paint brush smooth over the seam

Bunsen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bunsen Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 1:50am
post #11 of 16

I've done a similar thing - it's thin ribbon (3mm, not sure what that is in inches sorry) the same kind some people use around the edge of cake boards. Photo is in my pics (white 2 tier with purple orchids) unfortunately they displayed it with the back facing forward and put the flowers on in the wrong place icon_sad.gif

Word of warning, it is a real pain to put it on, will slip and drive you crazy so allow lots of time to get it right - it's one of those things that looks so simple but really isn't!

OregonCakeLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OregonCakeLady Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 2:04am
post #12 of 16

I don't think that is a picture of a real cake. It looks like it is computer generated. You can use whatever you want. If the customer is okay with it, I would use silk or ribbon like others said. It would be a real unnecessary hassle to do those long chords out of fondant.
Good luck and have fun! thumbs_up.gif

ApplegumKitchen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ApplegumKitchen Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 2:07am
post #13 of 16

Double-sided 1/4inch tape IS YOUR FRIEND! icon_biggrin.gif

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 2:23am
post #14 of 16

They look like dried, gumpaste(or gumpaste/fondant) strips...they're definitely not wrapped all the way around the cakes whatever it is...I don't think ribbon would maintain a stiffened look especially when overlapped without being able to pull it taut....

colored fettucine!

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 2:42am
post #15 of 16

Looks like cord to me as well, but why not ask your client what they want? Give them the options of what can be used. It is their cake so they need to make that decision.

mindy1204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindy1204 Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 11:14am
post #16 of 16

love that cake...I am not very knowledgable on flowers and am just starting to practice them and I love this one.. what is it called?

Quote by @%username% on %date%