These Fondant Swags

Decorating By Kitagrl Updated 4 Sep 2009 , 3:03am by Kitagrl

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 8:23pm
post #1 of 24

Okay on the cake attached...is this a sheet of fondant, folded in places to ripple, and then laid on the front of the cake? Or is it rolls of fondant laid over the cake?

I want to say its like a big sheet swag, folded and then laid over...but I wanted to check. Customer is paying for a mini 6" one to see if she likes how it looks and tastes first before booking her wedding.
LL

23 replies
mazz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mazz Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 8:51pm
post #2 of 24

Sorry I don't know the answer but I would love for you to get the answer and let us know how your small sample cake goes. good Luck.

onlymadaresane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onlymadaresane Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 8:57pm
post #3 of 24

I'm completely useless. But that's really elegant.

Kitagrl Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 9:01pm
post #4 of 24

Looking at it again it almost looks like they pleated the very same piece of fondant they used to cover the cake. Hmm....

Kitagrl Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 9:02pm
post #5 of 24

Looking at it again it almost looks like they pleated the very same piece of fondant they used to cover the cake. Hmm....

millermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millermom Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 9:08pm
post #6 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

I thought the very same thing; sort of like you would fold the corners of a gift, but not so creased/tight.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 9:13pm
post #7 of 24

I'd bet ya $20 those are little sausages of fondant underneath a sheet of fondant, then smoothed over. I would just email the creator, see if they tell you what they did. I do it all the time if I can't figure it out....usually works out for me!

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 9:20pm
post #8 of 24

I agree, sausages of fondant placed on the cake and then the fondant carefully smoothed over them. Beautiful cake design.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 9:21pm
post #9 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by __Jamie__

I'd bet ya $20 those are little sausages of fondant underneath a sheet of fondant, then smoothed over. I would just email the creator, see if they tell you what they did. I do it all the time if I can't figure it out....usually works out for me!

That's exactly what I was thinking - long, thin ropes of fondant under the sheet.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

mrswendel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrswendel Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 9:24pm
post #10 of 24

Edna has one in her gallery on her site that is similar....maybe she would be able to give some insight.

__Jamie__ Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 9:24pm
post #11 of 24

Yeah, it almost looks like the very inner folds, which look like something really interesting themselves, esecially the very top tiers...ahhh, nevermind....ok! The very inner folds, look like they may be folds only, nothing under them.

I need to do something else for awhile. That cake is like taking a Rorschach test. icon_biggrin.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 9:25pm
post #12 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrswendel

Edna has one in her gallery on her site that is similar....maybe she would be able to give some insight.

And Edna, did one of hers (if not the one you are talking about) in BC! icon_eek.gif Funny...I was thinking og Edna's cake when I first popped into this thread!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 9:40pm
post #13 of 24

Does anyone have a link to Edna's cake? I see she has pages and pages and pages of cakes and I didn't see it... icon_rolleyes.gificon_lol.gif

mrswendel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrswendel Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 9:47pm
post #14 of 24

this was the one that I was referring to icon_biggrin.gif
LL

__Jamie__ Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 9:49pm
post #15 of 24

That's it!

Kitagrl Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 9:55pm
post #16 of 24

The only thing is on the original picture it looks like, in the center pleats, there are real "pleats" and not just rolled fondant sausages underneath...some are indented or half pleats....

MrsNancyB1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsNancyB1 Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 10:03pm
post #17 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by __Jamie__

You just took the words out of my mouth...erm...keyboard! icon_biggrin.gif I was just going to say the same thing.

Beautiful cake!

jamiekwebb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamiekwebb Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 11:45pm
post #18 of 24

I say folded pleats... no sausages just really good folding.... maybe they could do my laundry for me sometime. icon_smile.gif

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 2:06am
post #19 of 24

The original says it was inspired by one of colette's cakes. Does anybody have her books handy to get the 411?

bobwonderbuns Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 2:16am
post #20 of 24

Well there's a similar cake in "Cakes to Dream on" page 43, but it doesn't have the pleating. It does have fondant strips though to give a sort of similar effect. (still looking...) icon_rolleyes.gif

bobwonderbuns Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 2:20am
post #21 of 24

Well I didn't see anything in her books and I have several of them. Sorry!

cocobean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocobean Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 2:25am
post #22 of 24

Georgeous! I like to know what that is around the bottom of the cakes also??? Looks stunning!!! icon_surprised.gif Anyone guessing about that?

ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 2:55am
post #23 of 24

i also think rolled fondant under if u follow it down the indention get's bigger in the middle, and the bottom one looks a little off, pretty cake.of course i like Edna's better very clean looking

Kitagrl Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 3:03am
post #24 of 24

My customer says its nonedible rhinestone/ribbon/whatever border that she will provide. *shrug*

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%