Pearl Luster

Decorating By ernurse39 Updated 3 Sep 2009 , 2:00am by txnonnie

ernurse39 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ernurse39 Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 5:29pm
post #1 of 5

I have 2 questions. I have to do a wedding cake for this weekend and I will be using pear luster on fondant accents. Have any of you ever just painted on the luster dust straight without using liquid? Mine always seems so blotchy when I mix it with a liquid. I was also wondering have any of you put luster dust in with your buttercream to make the borders appear pearl-like? I would appreciate any help anyone could give me.
Thanks!!!

4 replies
kissmecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kissmecakes Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 5:34pm
post #2 of 5

you can buy a spray from either pme or wilton - in the uk it's £5.99 a can - it's invaluable - you just spray it where it's needed

xxx

PuffCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PuffCake Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 5:41pm
post #3 of 5

Yes, I usually brush it on dry with a paintbrush since I have had the same problems mixing it with liquid! Brushing it on dry gives it a nice even layer of sheen. Here's an example.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1446881

Luster dust is light reflective so it must sit on top of the icing, it can't be mixed into the icing.

(Edited to add that the luster it gives is more noticeable than my photo shows) icon_smile.gif

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 6:36pm
post #4 of 5

I usually paint it dry. I usually tap the excess on the plate and then dust the accents.

txnonnie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
txnonnie Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 2:00am
post #5 of 5

I have done more dry than wet. Dry works fine.

I have seen the luster sprays as well, never used them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%