They're Returning Cake Boards.......????

Decorating By Jen80 Updated 11 Sep 2009 , 1:06pm by yellobutterfly

Jen80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jen80 Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 11:56am
post #1 of 37

So, do I use them again?

Not everyone is doing it. It's usually just the bigger boards. I think they feel that they will probably never make cakes that big themselves but they don't want to throw them out either.

It's good in a way because I've actually forgotten to charge for them a few times (beginner icon_redface.gif ).

I haven't re-used one yet, because I just don't know if it's a good thing to do.

I don't know where they've been sitting, what they've been washed with (if at all), I don't know if they've been sitting in a sink full of dirty dishes all day......you get it.

They're the type that you get all pre-covered with foil, very solid but with a porous paper type covering underneath.

I don't know which materials are safe to use to make my own.

TIA

36 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 12:06pm
post #2 of 37

Personally, I wouldn't use them again. I guess some people would give them a good sanitizing and figure it would be okay, but since there's no way to know where they've been and how they've been stored, I wouldn't use them.

If it was something that could go through the dishwasher and be cleaned with a sanitizer, that's different. For cardboard and wood, not so much.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 12:42pm
post #3 of 37

if they're made to be disposables, then dispose of them. The cost is minimal.

Jen80 Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 1:07pm
post #4 of 37

Thanks costumeczar and indydebi.

I didn't think it would be a good idea, but I didn't want to be silly and toss them if I didn't have to.

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 2:01pm
post #5 of 37

i wouldn;t reuse them for a customer, but if you need to make any display cakes they would be ok to use for that.

NYCGiGi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NYCGiGi Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 2:38pm
post #6 of 37

I agree with Sweetcakes. Or if you ever do a free cake for friends or family, that might also be acceptable.

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 2:47pm
post #7 of 37

The only boards I have re-used where my wooden ones I built for monster trucks. The cake does'nt touch the wood it sits on a seperate dispoable cake board, and they cost about 20$ to make . Other then that I throw the other ones out, they only cost about 3-4$ dollars to make. I use foam board and foil to make them.

sugarMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarMomma Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 2:50pm
post #8 of 37

I work in banquets and the wedding cake vendors usually want their boards back for re-use (I know cuz I'm always trying to snag them for personal use). Some even want the wooden dowels back, SPS I would understand, but dowels?
Usually they are MDF boards, but sometimes even foam core. I assume they just recover and reuse. So this is a big no-no for them?

terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 2:57pm
post #9 of 37

the only things I save are the plastic plates and dowels and wooden boards.....all else is disposable.

indydebi Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 3:40pm
post #10 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrylee

the only things I save are the plastic plates and dowels and wooden boards.....all else is disposable.

Heck I even consider the plastic as disposable, most of the time! It's just not worth the gas (on either side) to return ten bucks worth of plastic. Brides like not having to worry about it and venues LUV me when I say "nothing is returnable". (no kidding ... I've actually gotten hugged by venue staff when I tell them that!)

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 3:56pm
post #11 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCGiGi

I agree with Sweetcakes. Or if you ever do a free cake for friends or family, that might also be acceptable.

if it's not good enough for a paying custumer then it's not good for anyone. The paying customer eats just the same as friends and family do.

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 4:01pm
post #12 of 37

I don't know why its a big deal either way....aren't those boards completely covered with something? Remember you have to save the planet people hehehe

veronica720 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veronica720 Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 4:03pm
post #13 of 37

[quote="indydebiHeck I even consider the plastic as disposable, [/quote]

Shame, shame, throwing away plastic....you better watch out for the recycle nazis

Just kidding, I do the same. Most of this stuff is inexpensive and you can just add to the price for supplies.

costumeczar Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 5:17pm
post #14 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarMomma

I work in banquets and the wedding cake vendors usually want their boards back for re-use (I know cuz I'm always trying to snag them for personal use). Some even want the wooden dowels back, SPS I would understand, but dowels?
Usually they are MDF boards, but sometimes even foam core. I assume they just recover and reuse. So this is a big no-no for them?

I think that people do this so that they can say that all of the dowels were taken out of the cake and not served to the guests, but I'm probably wrong and they do get re-used! Gross...

I don't get anything back, ever. It's not worth the gas money or the time it would take for someone to bring them back to me, IMO.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 7:15pm
post #15 of 37

I am so grosssed out by the fact that ANYONE would reuse wooden dowels! Ewwwwww! I have used wooden cake boards for really big cakes. An 18x18 cost me .50 at Home Depot. I think I am able to let that go as well.

DollyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DollyCakes Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 8:37pm
post #16 of 37

We do get them back and recover and reuse them. When they get too beat up, we toss them.

Jen80 Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 10:15pm
post #17 of 37

Thanks everyone for your replies.

If I could get mine for 50c each I would have had no second thoughts about throwing them out.

But as my closest supply shop is about two hours away (and the only size they had last time I went was about 4in), I order mine over the net.

I have ordered the largest size on two separate occasions. They cost about $20 each and then it's $10 for postage. That's why I was balking at throwing them away.

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 10:26pm
post #18 of 37

Make your own out of foam core or wood (masonite/plywood/mdf). I'm sure compared to what your paying it would be a much cheaper alternative.

Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 10:32pm
post #19 of 37

If they're what we call cake drums in the UK - covered with silver paper - then you can re-use them.... but you need to recover them first.

It's not expensive to buy the paper.

idgalpal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idgalpal Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 10:43pm
post #20 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBellaFlor

I am so grosssed out by the fact that ANYONE would reuse wooden dowels! Ewwwwww! I have used wooden cake boards for really big cakes. An 18x18 cost me .50 at Home Depot. I think I am able to let that go as well.

I just did a cake for a friend (father of the bride) I just asked that he bring back the mirror I used for the base (cardboard cakeboard between the mirror and cake of course!) He brought it back to me in a bag. I picked up the bag and something was rattling around - I couldn't imagine what it was - oh yeah - the dowels! I'm with you LaBellaFLor - that's GROSS!

madgeowens Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 4:38am
post #21 of 37

why is that gross? do you think someone licked them hahaha....I am pretty persnickity and I must confess, I do not get the gross.....explain here....

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 1:23pm
post #22 of 37

LBF - where in home depot do you get the 18x18 board for .50? I would like to get some of those.

I have had clients bring back the bubble tea straws - it doesn't "gross" me out, I just toss them. icon_confused.gif

costumeczar Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 1:28pm
post #23 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by madgeowens

why is that gross? do you think someone licked them hahaha....I am pretty persnickity and I must confess, I do not get the gross.....explain here....

My paranoid mind thinks about the boards sitting around in the house until they get around to returning them. Of course, I also have a mental image of the pet cat using it for a bed, or the dog sitting on it, or whatever. Then they get thrown in the back of the car and whatever is in there gets all over them. I just think disposable should be just that. Again, if it's something that can be disinfected, that's one thing, but cardboards, no.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 2:46pm
post #24 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

if they're made to be disposables, then dispose of them. The cost is minimal.

Yes, I don't want anything back after a job. Especially a cake board/drum.

MainCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MainCake Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 3:19pm
post #25 of 37

I get the 'gross' part of it, especially knowing that some people are not as uptight about animals on counters or setting food items on floors. But I am also very uptight about the planet and unnecessary waste.

A thought I've had about recycling is to offer customers the opportunity to provide a cake board or plate for a discount. I realize most customers won't have anything so I've also thought about investing in some decent reusable cake board materials (heavy plastic or glass tha can be sanitized) that I can offer a discount on also. The discount being applied in the same way a 'deposit' would be applied.

I ususally use freezer paper and the tape designed to use with it to cover cardboard or wooden cake boards. It's white, doesn't stain, doesn't 'leak' through to the board because it's wax covered and it's fairly cheap. I was desperate for something to cover a cake board and happened to see it during my grocery shopping. I've been using it for probably two years now. I'm sure I'm not the first one with this idea but I think it works great.

indydebi Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 4:09pm
post #26 of 37

I dont' find it 'gross' as much as I find it ridiculous that people think a piece of wood that costs less than a penny would be returnable. And I'm not so talented that every one of my cakes comes out the exact same height so I'd have to cut dowels specifically for each cake.

Some folks spend a dollar to save a nickel. Drives me nuts.

madgeowens Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 2:57am
post #27 of 37

Takes more than that to gross me out I guess......retired nurse.....I know people can be dirty though so you have a good point....I have to agree with Indy on this one

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 4:57pm
post #28 of 37

Are we talking card board? $20??? Geez!!! I would totally strip off the old and put on new, and reuse. What is the big deal? I make my own, and never did a 20" but do 18"s all the time and I use real boards and they are returnable. For smaller I stack 3 to 5 of them and glue them together them wrap. If someone brings it back, then I guess I would use it! As long as it is not ripped. If it were ripped, you could just glue one more down on top and rewrap. It is not edible and the cake doesn't touch it.

costumeczar Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 5:08pm
post #29 of 37

$20 for a board? Good Lord, no wonder you didn't want to throw it away! I use cardboard ones, and the most expensive they get is about $4-5 each. What are the $20 ones made out of?

tripleD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tripleD Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 5:40pm
post #30 of 37

i use cardboard even if I have to double to make a thicker board. I never want them back. I did get some back from a wedding cake about a month after the wedding. THEY WERE STILL DIRTY!ewwww the dowle rods and pillars and cardboard all together in a plastic bag.
I kindly thanked them and when they left to the dumpster they went.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%