Eeeek!! It's Really Happening

Decorating By sugarandslice Updated 6 Sep 2009 , 7:51am by xstitcher

sugarandslice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarandslice Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 7:15am
post #1 of 40

OK, so I am incredibly new to decorating (I've only done one fondant covered cake) and I offered to make a cake for a friend's baby shower this Saturday (for the practice). She's only just got back to me now (Tues afternoon) to let me now that she does want me to do it.
I told her to have a look on here for ideas and she's decided she wants one like this:
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1416312

I have never done gumpaste figures or a tiered cake or stripes or a plaque!
Now I know that many of you are thinking "you should never offer to do something without having practiced first" and I fully agree with you. However, this is a non-paying cake and I like trying new things and the friend has said she is very relaxed and if I want to modify the cake in any way it's OK with her.
However, I now feel like I may have bitten off more than I can chew. It's a little overwhelming (and exciting) to realise that I'm actually making a cake for someone other than my family (who love me and have to love my cakes!!)

I think I'll take a few deep breaths and get the gumpaste out as soon as the kids are in bed!

Wish me luck
Emma

39 replies
xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 7:25am
post #2 of 40

I think you can definitely pull it off Emma. I saw your first cake, it looked fantastic. If you need any help at all please feel free to ask me and I'll do my best to answer any questions you may have. Good luck!

sugarandslice Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 8:13am
post #3 of 40

Thanks for your vote of confidence xstitcher.

Also thanks for your offer of help. I may need to take you up on that!! icon_biggrin.gif

Cheers, Emma

majka_ze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
majka_ze Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 8:28am
post #4 of 40

You can definitively make this cake. One piece of advice - start on the gumpaste figurine straight away / as soon as you can. This way you have time to redo it as many times as it needs. If you get it on the first try - gumpaste decoration can hold months, not to speak about this Saturday.
The cake itself is not complicated. I did see your cake. It is perhaps even easier than what you have already done. The bottom of the tiers is covered with the fondant balls - no need to have it perfect. The stripes can cover (and take the eyes away from) many imperfections. The dots will do the same.

Good luck to you!

Jen80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jen80 Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 8:45am
post #5 of 40

Yes, of course you can do it, and you'll do it well. thumbs_up.gif

Just a tip: I've found that if I colour all my fondant in advance it saves a lot of last minute rushing.

Can't wait to see your cake. icon_biggrin.gif

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 8:45am
post #6 of 40

You can do this, this cake looks intimidating but it really isn't that hard, and don't panic about doing new things everytime, it's what make decorating fun, the challenges, the process and, the best part the pride to see it accomplished in a new (and different) cake, just imagine doing the same cake or technique over and over again (zzzzzzzz) I love the stress and my cake are not as beautiful but I don't care, I did it and it's what counts! I'm here too if you need anything ; ) good luck!

Lovemesomecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lovemesomecake Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 12:04pm
post #7 of 40

Your first fondant cake was awesome!! You'll definitely do a great job!!! Confidence is KEY! Can't wait to see the final product...

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 12:24pm
post #8 of 40

your first fondant cake looks amazing.

Now, do you know how to properly support a stacked cake?
You obviously know how to fondant a cake, so you got that covered.
Do you have a pizza cutter and a ruler? You'll need those for the stripes.

The plaque, you can always print out a banner shape that you like and use it as a template to cut the banner.
I find that painting the words on with a tiny paintbrush and black americolor gels is WAY easier than using the edible food pens (the pens dent the fondant/gumpaste).

As for the stork look at it in pieces....the head, the body, wings, beak, etc. and model each piece...if you look at it as a series of shapes instead of an entire figure it will be easier to duplicate!
HTH

sugarandslice Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 9:19pm
post #9 of 40

Thanks so much everyone for your advice and encouragement.

I've looked at everything I can find on here about supporting a tiered cake and have my dowels at the ready.

I had a go at making the stork last night and it went REALLY well esp considering it was my first gumpaste figure EVER!

I need to buy some more colours today so I can make the skintone for the baby but I did a practice one last night and it turned out really well too.

I've decided that for the plaque I'm going to use tappits for the lettering. I just don't think I trust my handwriting/paintbrush skills are up to it just yet.

And Jen80, I'm going to take your advice and colour all my fondant tonight (Wed). I've written out a timeline/schedule for all my useable time between now and Friday night with Sat morning free as backup in case anything goes wrong, but that'll never happen.....right?? icon_wink.gif

Thanks again everyone. I'll let you know how it goes
Emma

luddroth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luddroth Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 9:39pm
post #10 of 40

Bake the cakes asap and wrap and freeze them. You won't need the last minute hassle of baking, either. Leave at least a whole day for assembly and decorating. Have it done the day before the event -- it can sit out at room temp overnight and be fine.

jlsheik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlsheik Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 9:41pm
post #11 of 40

Emma...good luck.

Don't worry about it!! I take on things that I don't know how to do all the time...and I own a cake shop. That is how we learn...it gives me a goal and that keeps things fresh and new!
I took a stenciled damask wedding cake for Nov...never done it, but I am going too!!!
I do have to say, I did tell the bride I have never done it...and she has faith I can pull it off....I am sure the people you are making the shower cake for know your starting out and love you and your cakes!!
Again, good luck.

miny Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 9:43pm
post #12 of 40

Don't forget to post a pic of your cake ; )

sugarandslice Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 9:45pm
post #13 of 40

That's exactly my plan luddroth!! icon_smile.gif

And jlsheik, my friends definitely know that I'm starting out and I've shown them a pic of my other fondant cake so they know where I'm up to skill-wise. And thanks for the vote of confidence.

Emma

luddroth Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 9:48pm
post #14 of 40

Good luck, Emma! Have fun. Breathe.

OregonCakeLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OregonCakeLady Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 12:52am
post #15 of 40

Oh your fine! I looked at your pics. You can do it! Just take your time and quit while your ahead.

sarahokie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahokie Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 4:55am
post #16 of 40
Quote:
Quote:

And Jen80, I'm going to take your advice and colour all my fondant tonight (Wed). I've written out a timeline/schedule for all my useable time between now and Friday night with Sat morning free as backup in case anything goes wrong, but that'll never happen.....right??

I'm still pretty new at making cakes, and always seem to bite off more than I think I can chew. But, if we never push ourselves, we never learn. Like you, I always make myself a To Do list/timeline and even though I always seem to get behind it helps to get me started in a good fashion and to make sure I don't forget something.

Jen80 Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 12:30pm
post #17 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by emcm51

And Jen80, I'm going to take your advice and colour all my fondant tonight (Wed). I've written out a timeline/schedule for all my useable time between now and Friday night with Sat morning free as backup in case anything goes wrong, but that'll never happen.....right?? icon_wink.gif

He he, well I can't promise anything, but you'll definately have less chance of something going wrong if there's no last minute rush.

Good idea to have Saturday morning free too. If you aim to have it all done on Friday you can still keep it out, just cover it with Glad-wrap so the crawlies can't get to it. As long as there's no perishable fillings inside. I'm guessing at this early stage of decorating your still comfortable just using buttercream as a filling. Which is perfectly fine to leave out overnight.

Jen80 Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 12:50pm
post #18 of 40

Oh, and I also want to add:

If you have made your cakes ahead of time and you've had them in the freezer, do not put your fondant on until the cake has completely defrosted. Otherwise all of that condensation will rise up into your fondant (even through your buttercream) and make it tacky and you won't be able to run your smoother over it.

I'm learning fast from my mistakes. icon_lol.gif

tatorchip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatorchip Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 1:03pm
post #19 of 40

good luck and please post pic, I look forward to trying this myself.

laceycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laceycakes Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 3:04am
post #20 of 40

I agree with everyone else. You CAN do it. You know the say "the only stupid question is the question not asked" well, the only ugly cake is the one not made!! Have fun with it and post pics!!

sugarandslice Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 12:08pm
post #21 of 40

Hi,
Thanks to everyone who's taken an interest so far.

My update is that I've finished the cake!!!!! And it looks fantTAStic!

I'm so proud of myself.

I haven't taken any photos yet, I'm goinng to wait until morning when the light is better. So now I'm off to bed. I'm exhausted and it's 10pm (cake's not due til 2.30pm tomorrow hehe).

Thanks again. Photos soon
Emma

luddroth Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 12:23pm
post #22 of 40

Ok, it's morning already! Photo, please! We're all waiting.....

Jen80 Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 12:52pm
post #23 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by luddroth

Ok, it's morning already! Photo, please! We're all waiting.....

icon_lol.gif Maybe there. It's the middle of the night here.

Your Friday afternoon will be our Saturday morning (which is when she said she'll post it).

We'll all just have to wait a few hours......dang!!

Oh.......that reminds me. I better get some sleep.

Still can't find a support group that will help fight CC addiction. icon_lol.gif

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 12:53pm
post #24 of 40

By the time I read your post, your cake was already done, But in my heart I new you could do it, so I am very excited, and waiting also to see the Picture

luddroth Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 12:57pm
post #25 of 40

Oh, right. This is the first I've realized that Emma is in Australia. Ok, then. I guess I'll have to wait. I was managing the CC addiction pretty well for awhile, but clearly I have relapsed....

miny Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 6:36pm
post #26 of 40

Told you! I'm so happy for you and can't wait to see your pic. Congratulations

juleebug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juleebug Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 6:58pm
post #27 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by emcm51

Now I know that many of you are thinking "you should never offer to do something without having practiced first"

If that were true, I'd NEVER do any cakes. People want such varied things these days, thanks to all the cake shows, you couldn't possibly practice ahead for everything.

I've been asked to make everything from a zombie head to a fish jumping out of a cake to an Edward Cullen cake. My response every time is, "Yes, I CAN do that." I believe confidence is 50% of doing any cake.

If you get stuck, try searching the Photo Gallery for what you're working on. Most of the decorators here are kind enough to include some instruction with their photos. And you can always PM other members if you see something you like and ask advice.

You're obviously very talented so just take that deep breath and GO FOR IT! You'll do fine.

Julia

sugarandslice Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 2:12am
post #28 of 40

Ok, so here it is. I have just delivered it to the party venue and experienced for the first time the amazing rush of relief you feel when you finally hand the cake over and it's no longer your responsibility. Driving it over there (about 7 minutes away!) was a little nerve wracking but I had it in a box and then put the seatbelt on it! hahaha

I'm not sure about attaching photos to these posts but I'll give it a go. Please don't expect perfection, I'm still a beginner. But it is pretty good and I am incredibly proud of myself for achieving a great looking (and tasting) cake!

Thanks again everyone for your support and encouragement. It means so much!

Emma
LL

Mme_K Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mme_K Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 3:18am
post #29 of 40

You have every right to be proud of yourself! You did a terrific job. thumbs_up.gif
Just think how much easier the next one will be. icon_rolleyes.gif

sugarandslice Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 3:31am
post #30 of 40

I've just realised that the photo makes it look like the board is covered in grey fondant. It's not! It's a soft sage green. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%