Layer Of Brownie With Cake???

Baking By 2kiddos Updated 5 Sep 2009 , 9:31am by Mike1394

2kiddos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2kiddos Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 12:14am
post #1 of 10

I have a cake request from my boss's wife... for my boss's birthday cake. She said she was thinking maybe a brownie on the bottom with white almond cake on top...
Would this be good? Would you use buttercream between the two, or chocolate fudge or something?

I love brownies, and I love cake...but I'm having trouble with this vision... Any advice?

TIA

9 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 1:06pm
post #2 of 10

I use brownie and cookies as filling in cakes, it's delicious. There was a whole thread on it a while back. I bake my brownie or cookie in a slightly smaller pan. If my cake is 9" I bake brownie in an 8' round and so forth. Then cut the cake layer in half, smear with buttercream put brownie layer on top, smear with buttercream and put other half of cake...it's sooooooooooooo yummy!!!!

You could do half brownie half cake if you'd like......definitely put buttercream in between, it keeps everything together and makes it nice and moist!

trfeist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trfeist Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 8:56pm
post #3 of 10

I have never mixed the two but it sounds delicious.
KHalstead you are making my mouth water over your discription. I may try it out this weekend for fun to see how it turns out.
2Kiddos Let us know how it goes for your boss.

Clovers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Clovers Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 9:03pm
post #4 of 10

KHalstead - why do you make your brownie layer slightly smaller? Doesn't that leave a gap around the edges that you have to fill in with icing then?

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 9:14pm
post #5 of 10

I would guess that would be where you put the icing dam, just like you would do for other fillings. I may have to give this one a try this week!

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 9:23pm
post #6 of 10

If you can bake it, you can cake it. Sounds delicious. Add a cheesecake swirl to the brownies. icon_smile.gif

Darthburn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Darthburn Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 9:33pm
post #7 of 10

KHalstead you didn't mention what flavor cake you used with the brownies? I'm super curious to know. What about BC flavor too? I was thinking at first of trying it with a ganache but I don't know if that would be too chocolately.

Also curious about why you'd do a smaller brownie too, I wouldn't think you'd need an icing dam since brownies won't squish out. I could be wrong though, enlighten us please! icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks!

jenng1482 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenng1482 Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 9:40pm
post #8 of 10

Just recently (for my own birthday cake) i made a 14" round "black and white" cake. It was a layer of white cake, layer of brownie, layer of chocolate cake, and a layer of sugar cookie. I used various filling between each layer to stick with the black and white theme - white choc ganache, milk choc ganache, and cookies & cream. It was delicious! One piece of advice - put the firmest layer (in my case the sugar cookie) on the bottom otherwise its hard to cut.

chilz822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chilz822 Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 4:35am
post #9 of 10

I just made chocolate/chocolate chip cake with a dark chocolate walnut brownie layer in the middle, slathered on chocolate buttercream, chocolate ganache poured over and topped off with chocolate shavings.

The person it was for challenged me to try to make it too chocolatey... it was amazing and 3 other people now want the same cake...

YUMMY!

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 9:31am
post #10 of 10

Would this be good you ask. A good brownie will make liver taste good LOLOL icon_biggrin.gif

Mike

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%