Ultimate Cake Off

Lounge By cylstrial Updated 5 Sep 2009 , 3:47am by jniner

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 7:23pm
post #1 of 57

Hey Everyone!

The Ultimate Cake Off premieres tonight on TLC at 10:00 PM! I can't wait to watch it!

56 replies
mjk350 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjk350 Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 7:28pm
post #2 of 57

Thanks for the reminder. icon_biggrin.gif

MrsNancyB1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsNancyB1 Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 7:37pm
post #3 of 57

DVR set! thumbs_up.gif

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 7:39pm
post #4 of 57

Yeeeee haw! I've been looking forward to this for a long time!

Clovers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Clovers Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 7:41pm
post #5 of 57

Are any of the CCers on this one? And if so, how might we identify which one you are?! I keep telling my sister that I 'know' people who are going to be on it... naturally I'm now the crazy one in the family.

ThisNameInUse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThisNameInUse Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 7:43pm
post #6 of 57

Who all is on this site that we see on our favorite cake shows?

sweetflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetflowers Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 8:01pm
post #7 of 57

I know Susan Carberry (along with her team ) are on it.. all from San Diego (with Susan in Murrietta). I believe Valerie Lindsley is on here, but I don't know her screen name. My money is on her winning it, she's fabulous! She has a store called The Cake Cottage (.net if you want to see her stuff) and teaches all over.

cylstrial Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 12:08am
post #8 of 57

I don't know who is going to be on tonight - but I know that at some point Sharon Zambito (aka SugarShack) is going to be on it. Along with a few other people from here.

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 2:29am
post #9 of 57

I am watching it right now...it's painful. One of the men rolled out 35 lbs. of fondant into this gigantic sheet & then seemed surprised when it tore to pieces.... icon_cool.gif

Susan's cake is great so far.... thumbs_up.gif

the other ship cake also looks good, but the show is only halfway over....

kricket Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kricket Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 2:33am
post #10 of 57

I know Carrie's Cakes from Salt Lake City is on an episode sometime. Thanks for the reminder, OP. Can't wait!

idgalpal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idgalpal Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 3:36am
post #11 of 57

Oh my gosh! That was the best! I was really routing for Susan and her team, but Mike's was great also. I felt sorry for Bob, but glad he could show he had a sense of humor - what else are you going to do!

kricket Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kricket Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 3:41am
post #12 of 57

Aaaaaaahhhhhh--don't give away too much. Those of us on Pacific time still have almost an hour and a half until the show even begins.

Skirt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Skirt Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 3:51am
post #13 of 57

Thanks for the info! DVR now set! thumbs_up.gif

BigBob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BigBob Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 5:16am
post #14 of 57

icon_cry.gif I am not going there but it did work in practice and you never know what might work until you try just maybe I shouldn't try it on national TV LOL Thanks

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 5:23am
post #15 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBob

icon_cry.gif I am not going there but it did work in practice and you never know what might work until you try just maybe I shouldn't try it on national TV LOL Thanks

I think you handled it beautifully Bob. I'm so glad to see you were able to keep your sense of humour. I'm sure the cake would have been beautiful if it had made it. I loved the sketch/picture that was shown at the beginning of the cake, especially the map!

Hope to see more of your work soon.

Keep on cakin! icon_smile.gifthumbs_up.gif

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 5:24am
post #16 of 57

Oh, and welcome to CC BigBob! icon_biggrin.gif

kickasscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kickasscakes Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 5:55am
post #17 of 57

OMG Bob, I felt so bad for you, and yet so proud that you handled what happened with such panache. Woo Hoo to you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You and your team are outstandingly talented. Keep doing what you love!

Both the other people did AMAZING.

Susan, you're amazing. Love your cheerfulness, and great teamwork. I would love to work with you one day!

ha! Ya right! lol

do you travel teach??

mcsyd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcsyd Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 5:57am
post #18 of 57

Enjoyed the show tonight but what gives with the half hour time-out thing? Congratulations Bob on winning the best cake flavor! Pineapple and coconut sounds like a good combination. Has anyone heard whether or not it's true that there might be a show pitting the decorators against their assistants? That could be an interesting twist!

cylstrial Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 1:28pm
post #19 of 57

Bob - I loved how you rolled out sitting on your cake when things weren't working out. It was so funny and showed us just how good your sense of humor is. And you know what - it takes guts to keep working on it. Most people would just thrown in the towel.

Standing Ovation from Cake Central members now. =o)

ShayShay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShayShay Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 2:02pm
post #20 of 57

What a great show! The cakes were fabulous!! Bob, you handled everything beautifully! You had your little meltdown and got right back up and presented your cake, with a sense of humour no less! Class act BigBob! You will be back again, I just know you will! Anyhow, loved the show and can't wait for the next one

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 2:18pm
post #21 of 57

Bob - we want to see you again and we want your cake recipe!!!!

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 2:30pm
post #22 of 57

Just a thought - possibly it worked in practice but not during the comp because of the hot studio lights melting the buttercream underneath? Whatever the cause, it was tragic, especially because the treasure map looked sooooo cool before it melted off the cake. Bravo to you for handling it so well. thumbs_up.gif

MBoyd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBoyd Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 2:31pm
post #23 of 57

Speaking as "Big Bob's" assistant, I really HOPE they're not planning on pitting the leads against the assistants! I want Bob on MY team!!!!

However, we shall see......

The time-out thing is all part of the drama - what you didn't see on the show last night was that we ALSO had to sit out for half an hour. You could tell it was torture for Susan to have to pick someone, but we did have the "biggest" cake at that point.

In spite of it all, we had a great time doing the show and were glad to get to know our co-competitors... everyone was great!

adree313 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adree313 Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 6:26pm
post #24 of 57

bob, i thought you did great given your circumstances! i wish i could say that i would have been able to keep the sense of humor you did, but i'm not sure i could have!!

as for this show... i feel like it's rigged to some degree! (not really, but you'll see where i'm going...) yes, the pirate ship cake was awesome, but susan's cake was AMAZING! it looked neat and the "special effects" were awesome. when they showed the "preview episode" with the shark cakes... again, the one i thought looked the over all best came in second! with the more mediocre one coming in first! i don't know, it's probably just me, but that's how i feel. icon_sad.gif

KKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKC Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 6:48pm
post #25 of 57

Bob...I love, love your personality and your spirit. And I wanted to jump thru the tv just to get a slice of that cake.

Reimagining_Confections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Reimagining_Confections Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 7:04pm
post #26 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBob

You were a true class act Bob and by the way- your cake tasting had me totally jonesing for a slice of that cake. Ugh! I am on Weight Watchers right now, but I soooooo would have used all my points for the week for a taste!!! Do you ship to VA?

Go big or go home!

MBoyd Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 7:09pm
post #27 of 57

I don't know if it's "rigged" so much as this show leaves the final say up to the client. Some people really like chocolate, and some people really like vanilla - it can be really subjective. There aren't really extra points for things like level of difficulty, and going above and beyond the minimum requirements (like we were led to believe). In that way its more like real life, and its all about pleasing the client. I'm not sure if I LIKE it better that way, as a viewer and fellow decorator, but I'm just sayin'.

Both Mike's and Susan's cakes had some unbelievable details - which may or may not have shown up very well on camera. I absolutely loved the jewels and lights and coins in Susan's treasure chest, but I don't think you saw them very well on TV, partly because there was so much to look at on her cake. I also think she was very creative with her use of materials. I loved her use of the bean noodles or whatever they were - totally edible and totally thinking "out of the box"! Mike's cake had incredible sculptural details - which again, I don't think showed up very well on TV because the cakes were SO BIG..... just his cake base alone was really cool. He really had a unique way of making fondant look like waves and water... And did you know that his sister Tammy who appeared on the show with him is an artist for Hallmark? What a talented family!!!!!! I think Mike really did a great job on his mechanical elements too. Radio controlled???!?!?! Duh! That was such a great idea!!!!

just my .02

adree313 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adree313 Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 8:07pm
post #28 of 57

oh, see, i didn't realize they left the final decision up to the clients. i admit, i didn't pay very much attention the whole time icon_redface.gif which also must be why i missed the mechanical elements on mike's cake double icon_redface.gif lol.

MBoyd Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 8:21pm
post #29 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by cylstrial

And you know what - it takes guts to keep working on it. Most people would just thrown in the towel.

Yep - I totally agree! That's what I told him when I was trying to talk him off the ledge after time was up backstage! LOL! You also didn't see the all the judges (besides just Michael) saying the pretty much same thing... it was making me tear up back stage! I was so proud of Bob for that, and glad they noticed it too!!!!!!!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 8:38pm
post #30 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clovers

Are any of the CCers on this one? And if so, how might we identify which one you are?! I keep telling my sister that I 'know' people who are going to be on it... naturally I'm now the crazy one in the family.

Jennifer Dontz is on one episode -- JenniferMI here on CC.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%