Guitar Cake

Decorating By SarahEvans Updated 31 Aug 2009 , 8:47pm by marilu

SarahEvans Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahEvans Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 7:04pm
post #1 of 6

This week I am making a Hannah Montana guitar cake for a little girls birthday. I have never really carved a cake and was wondering if anyone had any tips about this and what size pan I should use? Should I freeze the cake before carving? What should I use for the strings or should I just pipe lines of icing? I am probably going to make the neck out of RKT and the body is just going to be a one layer sheet cake type cake. Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks!

5 replies
renee2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
renee2007 Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 7:16pm
post #2 of 6

I have made a couple of guitar cakes and what I did was used the guitar hero guitar as a template and cut it out of a 12x18 sheet cake. for the strings I used silver floral wire. hope this helpsicon_smile.gif

The_Sugar_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Sugar_Fairy Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 7:32pm
post #3 of 6

I made a Hannah Montana guitar cake. You can take a look in my pictures. I just used the Wilton guitar pan - it only feeds about 10 people though. I used spaghetti for the strings and painted them in edible silver paint (airbrush paint) but I found that the spaghetti warped a bit after being painted; I used it anyway because I like everything on the cake to be edible. Good luck!

hensor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hensor Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 8:18pm
post #4 of 6

Ditto on what the The Sugar Fairy said. I used noodles for the strings and the wilton pan. My cake fed about 15 people.

Bonavolonta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bonavolonta Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 8:29pm
post #5 of 6

I've made two guitars. They were both huge because I wanted them to be actual size, and I was feeding a lot of people. I used 5 stacked sheet cakes. I traced my husbands guitar on a sheet of parchment and used that as my carving template. The first time I used real guitar strings. It was easy, but I don't like have inedible stuff on my cakes so I piped the strings on the second try. Use a yard stick or ruler as your guide to keep things as straight as possible.

marilu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marilu Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 8:47pm
post #6 of 6

I think the pan size would depend on the number of servings you what but this is what I have done:

for the 1st guitar cake that I made the client just asked for an "electric guitar" so I baked 2 one layer 11x15 cakes. Then I borrowed a Guitar Hero guitar (that kind of controller that guys use for playing video games) to cut the shape of the carton that I used for board and with that shape I carved the cake after being chilled (not freezed) for a while in the refrigerator Maybe is easier if you freeze it but that way worked fine to me. One of the cakes was for the body and the other one, cutted made the neck. When the cake was carved I put it over a big styrofoam board because the carton board was not strong enough.

the 2nd guitar cake was supposed to be a replica of a specific guitar so I had to took a photo of the poster that the client brought me... then open it with a graphic design program where I resized it so the body could fit the 11x15 pan. Then I printed the whole thing in several pages, pasted them and used that shape to make the same procedure that I described above.

In summary, if you have no specific request for the shape is a lot easier if you find some toy or a Guitar Hero guitar as I did to cut the shape cause you´ll save yourself a lot of trouble thinking in the proportions and all that stuff...

Usually all the decorations in my cakes are edible but in the case of the guitars I made an exception with the strings. I tried to pipe them but given they had to be so long they never looked straight so at the end I used black cotton thread with silver sparkles in the first one and gold thread in the second.

Hope this helps a little... Good luck!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%