Any Home Businesses In Western Canada? Specifically Bc

Business By cgm_cakes Updated 4 Oct 2009 , 7:33pm by AverageMom

cgm_cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cgm_cakes Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 7:08pm
post #1 of 5

Hi, All.

This is my first official post. icon_smile.gif I've been lurking for a month or two and find all the info. on CC very helpful.

I'm currently a hobbiest but would like to start selling my cakes. Does anyone run a business from their homes in BC? I'm trying to find out where to start looking to see if it's even legal to do from home here.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

4 replies
Motta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Motta Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 1:00am
post #2 of 5

Welcome! It's best to start with your own municipality - your town, city, village where you live. Call the local Health Dept. and ask about home-based food business and they'll direct you from there (likely someone called an Environment Officer) . Also call your local city office and find out about business permits and you'll get more info. It's not always neatly packaged for you in one place so it'll require you to make phone calls and check the internet. Good luck with your plans!
There are a couple of people on this site who are home-based and I hope to be soon, too.

hynest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hynest Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 6:14pm
post #3 of 5

It's refreshing to know I am not the only one! I am living in Eastern Canada and I am trying to figure out the steps to become "legal" as well. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated. I have searched the Canadian Health Department with no luck - as well as the small business start-up with no luck.

cakesondemand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesondemand Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 12:33am
post #4 of 5

Check with your local health dept first they will tell you what you can do and may make sugestions of where you can find a kithchen to rent before I opened my shop I was told to check the church in my area and I found one I just ask and they got back to me used it for about a year I grew so fast I needed to open my own shop and that was almost 4 yrs ago. Otherwise you need a seprate kitchen then your home kitchen with its own entrance separate from you house. Cant have people walking through your home. There are other spacifics required such as 3 sinks etc but health dept will let you know.

AverageMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AverageMom Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 7:33pm
post #5 of 5

This was helpful! I am just starting out (Yukon Territory) and finding information is like looking for a needle in a haystack!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%