Need Help Coordinating Colors

Decorating By fabfour Updated 27 Aug 2009 , 10:31pm by cylstrial

fabfour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fabfour Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 3:48pm
post #1 of 6

I have a wedding cake the 5th of Sept. This is a 3rd wedding for the bride so the colors of the wedding are ivory, mocha and pink. When I do a wedding cake I supply the table dressing for the cake table. The caterer and I are very good friends and have worked together several times, we like to have matching table dressings. The bride came by the other day and said that she wanted ivory table skirt and ivory lace (I have a colored table cloth under the lace it will be pink). The flowers on the cake are going to be mmf roses in the ivory, moch and pink. I asked the bride if she wanted white icing on the cake or ivory and she said it was up to me, she didn't care. The cake is in the Wilton 2004 yearbook page 95. I can't get it to size down. Please give me some advice, should the cake icing be ivory to match the tablecloth and flowers or should the icing itself (and drapes) be white????

Thanks
Missy

5 replies
cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 3:54pm
post #2 of 6

I would definitely make the icing ivory, if the color combination is ivory, pink, and mocha. And that's what the tablecloth will be...and the bride doesn't care. And it's her 3rd marriage. Just my 2 cents.

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 3:55pm
post #3 of 6

Ivory. White will look odd if everything else is ivory.

kaecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaecakes Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 4:11pm
post #4 of 6

I agree ivory

fabfour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fabfour Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 4:30pm
post #5 of 6

Thank you so much, this is what I was thinking but DH was trying to convince me to go with white so the cake would stand out. I was thinking it would stand out in a bad way.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 10:31pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabfour

Thank you so much, this is what I was thinking but DH was trying to convince me to go with white so the cake would stand out. I was thinking it would stand out in a bad way.

Always go with your instincts! You're the decorator!

Here's an example - Yesterday, DH comes down wearing a white polo with royal blue stripes on it and a pair of gray shorts (they look like khaki shorts but they are gray). Anyway, he asks if he looks ok and I say - I love the shirt...but the shirt doesn't go with the gray shorts. He promptly informs me that the shorts are blue. Hmm....maybe they once were (I'm highly doubting that actually). But anyway, they are definitely not blue anymore.

Long story short - I was right and he was wrong. Girls are just better with colors (typically).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%