I Have Been Asked,

Business By mommicakes Updated 31 Aug 2009 , 4:05am by JoJo0855

mommicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommicakes Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 3:39pm
post #1 of 27

to write an article for one of our newspapers doing their fall bridal section. (deadline 9/4/09)

If you were to do this,what would you want/need every prospective bride to know? What are some of the things that just don't get the proper coverage?

I would love to include as much info from as many of my cake family as I can.

If you would be so kind as to pm me or post here in this thread with whatever info you are willing to share I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks so much everyone.
Donna

26 replies
mightydragon663 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mightydragon663 Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 3:56pm
post #2 of 27

Cake tasting!!!!!!! My husband and I didn't know to do that when we got married and boy I wish we had. Our cake and frosting tasted terrible!
icon_razz.gif

Caralinc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caralinc Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 4:03pm
post #3 of 27

SHOP AROUND!!! When we were in the process of getting married and during the cake selection process we just went w/ one of the cake shops that were included in the package. It was one of the well known ones in my area and thought Great we will have an awesome one of a kind cake (they have great tasting cakes - didn't know much about their designs yet though and assumed they would be great). I love flowers and really looked forward to it. WELL, when I asked for Peach Gerber Daisies I was told they only do white, end of story. What?? only white?? I was upset and ended up w/ real flowers on my cake and not the look I was really going for. Well, back then I was not into cakes as I am today and did not know enough to look for more of a boutique type place to meet my wants. If one bakery cannot do what you are looking for I bet there is another one who will be able to accommodate your request.

SharonK1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SharonK1973 Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 4:09pm
post #4 of 27

Try to undo all the stupidity that has been found in those wedding magazines about things like styrofoam cakes are cheaper, cakes are expensive because of the kind of pan you use icon_confused.gif ... you know the things that people one here get all stewed about because we know better...

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 4:21pm
post #5 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonK1973

Try to undo all the stupidity that has been found in those wedding magazines about things like styrofoam cakes are cheaper, cakes are expensive because of the kind of pan you use icon_confused.gif ... you know the things that people one here get all stewed about because we know better...

Absolutely! Visit my blog for some other ideas along this line.

mommicakes Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 4:23pm
post #6 of 27

These are all like what I am looking for. I totally agree with the dispelling of myths about dummies and them being cheaper, I also want them to know that it isn't so much the cost of ingredients that will make the price of your cake expensive, but the amount of hours it takes to design, and such.

Keep the ideas coming. I am starting to rough draft as we speak (type) icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks

varika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
varika Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 4:50pm
post #7 of 27

I would say....the wedding day is widely touted as "the bride's day," and I think that's unfair. Remember that this day is about the bride AND the groom, and that the reception is to share your joy with your guests, so as the host and hostess, the bride and groom need to think about their guests, too. Sure, spicy rum banana coconut cake may be YOUR favorite flavor, but are most of your guests going to like it? Especially the children? Go a little less pricey on the decorations to make sure that the cake is delicious and appealing and maybe has more than one flavor, rather than going high hog on the decorations and being stuck with a whole lot of cake that nobody's eating because it's "that weird flavor she likes..."

And if the article's about more than just cake, here's another one that is CHRONICALLY overlooked: unless yours is an adults-only wedding and reception, think about the children. Kids get into a lot of trouble at receptions because they've got nothing to do. $40 for a babysitter to keep them occupied and a few trips to the dollar store for toys and activities, and you will have a rockin' reception without trouble from the kids. Especially if they get to have their own table--kids LOVE to feel grown up, as long as it doesn't get in the way of having fun!

mommicakes Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 5:13pm
post #8 of 27

Varika, what a great addition. I don't know exactly in what direction the article is going to take yet. I would like to include the idea of the sitter for the kids, I have done just that.

Thanks.

jillmakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillmakescakes Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 5:39pm
post #9 of 27

I don't remember who originally said it on here, but another tip for keeping the kids away from the cake, if that might be an issues. Assign one little kids (around 8, 9 or 10) to be the cake guard. Give them a dollar store sheriffs badge and tell them that it is their job to guard the cake and make sure nobody touches it until it is time for the bride and groom to touch it. If necessary, bribe them with an extra piece or two of cake!

mommicakes Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 5:46pm
post #10 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillmakescakes

I don't remember who originally said it on here, but another tip for keeping the kids away from the cake, if that might be an issues. Assign one little kids (around 8, 9 or 10) to be the cake guard. Give them a dollar store sheriffs badge and tell them that it is their job to guard the cake and make sure nobody touches it until it is time for the bride and groom to touch it. If necessary, bribe them with an extra piece or two of cake!

Now that is a good idea!!! thumbs_up.gificon_lol.gif I am sure people will like that one. Thanks Jill!

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 8:27pm
post #11 of 27

PLEASE let them know that the cake shows/competitions are NOT reality. Cakes are not completed in just 8 hrs. And also let them know the cost of those cakes that they see on t.v. that they love so much. They are definetly not $250 for 300 people!

indydebi Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 9:00pm
post #12 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by varika

Sure, spicy rum banana coconut cake may be YOUR favorite flavor, but are most of your guests going to like it?

It's at this point that I go into Southern Gramma mode, look at her over my glasses and say, "That's great, but there will be 148 OTHER people at your event. What do you think THEY will enjoy?"

Ditto LaBellaFlor. Colette and Duff both have $1000 minimums. I found one articles that cited Sylvia Weinstock as the Queen of $10,000 cakes. Visit Toba Garrett's site, where her cakes break down to $25 to $60 per serving.

Carved groom's cakes are not baked in a pan shaped like an armadillo. Carved cakes take DAYS to create (as I had to explain to the guy who called at 11:00 a.m. and wanted a Porsche for his dinner party at 5:00 that afternoon!) icon_eek.gif

LaBellaFlor Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 9:07pm
post #13 of 27

By the way that Toba Garett cake was $60 a serving that served 25 people1 And yes, I'm jealous. icon_wink.gif

LaBellaFlor Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 9:09pm
post #14 of 27

Indydeb what cake did you see on Toba Garett's site for $25 a serving. I know I saw her cookies (believe it or not) for $15 to $25 a cookie, but no cake. You also might want to let your brides know that in the magazine.

indydebi Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 9:25pm
post #15 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBellaFlor

Indydeb what cake did you see on Toba Garett's site for $25 a serving. I know I saw her cookies (believe it or not) for $15 to $25 a cookie, but no cake. You also might want to let your brides know that in the magazine.

The 2-tier one with 2 pink roses on the top with fondant drape, entitled "2-Tiered Draped cakde with White Chocolate Roses". Serves 50-65 for $1175.00 Works out to $23.50/serving.

LaBellaFlor Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 9:30pm
post #16 of 27

Oh, ok. I don't think I did the math on that one. Her work is beautiful. Brides love that type of work, I don't blame them, I just bl;ame them when they want me to do it for $200 bucks! Please let them know REAL cost factors. Oh the other thing, please tell them to be realistic on budget and not to try to haggle prices.If they are trying to make budget, they need to scale back on size and most the time design. I can't haggle price, but I can show what I can do with in your budget. I see SO many bridal magazines encouraging brides to negotiate prices with the cake person. It just ain't gona happen over here!

indydebi Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 9:36pm
post #17 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBellaFlor

I see SO many bridal magazines encouraging brides to negotiate prices with the cake person. It just ain't gona happen over here!

Notice you never see them advising a bride to negotiate on the dress! Oh wait .... maybe it's because the bridal magazines are nothing but big catalogs for the dress designers! tapedshut.gif I flipped thru 3 bridal magz at the drugstore yesterday and not one of them had a picture of a cake inside......just dresses and exotic vacation spots.

Guess that shows you where we stand.

LKing12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LKing12 Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 9:47pm
post #18 of 27

After the bride's dress the cake is the second thing remembered by the guests! Yet, they want bargain basement prices for a stunning cake. Pans, electricity, rent, insurance, labor and the cost of ingredients not to mention my time! Add it up and it isn't inexpensive-neither is my cake.

mommicakes Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 11:20pm
post #19 of 27

Hey Indy,

If it is alright with you, can I use some of your wonderful responses to our questions here on CC?
You always have just the thing to say, I wish I could think that fast when it counts.

The subjects about the cake shows on TV will be a strong point in the article. I truly don't think that brides don't totally understand just how many hours go into designing, baking, and all of the TRUE expenses of their cakes.

I will be going back through some of the previous threads here and making a good combination of info for them.

Keep your information you want to get out to more brides coming. I will make sure that I mention that most of the article was a colaboration of my fellow cakers.

Thanks everyone!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 11:25pm
post #20 of 27

Another thing you might mention is that they shouldn't skimp on the delivery to save a few bucks. We've all read the disaster stories where someone has decided not to have the cake delivered.

Oh, and that good fondant doesn't taste bad. I always see questions on yahoo answers that say, "I love the look of fondant for my wedding cake, but I want something that actually tastes decent. What do I do?"

MissCathcart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissCathcart Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 11:40pm
post #21 of 27

Encourage the bride and groom to have a small, but elegant wedding. A beautiful cake could be the center piece. Then take the rest of the money that would have been spent, and use it for a down payment on a house.

indydebi Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 2:16am
post #22 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommicakes

Hey Indy,

If it is alright with you, can I use some of your wonderful responses to our questions here on CC?

I'm honored. icon_smile.gif

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 7:12am
post #23 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommicakes

Hey Indy,

I'm honored. icon_smile.gif

One of my favourite analogies is the one where Indydebi compares a painting done by Picasso (or any other famous artist) and cake. If someone says it's just "flour & eggs" you could say that a painting is just "paint & a blank canvas" until the artist completes their masterpiece. Not only are we investing our time and effort to make their cakes but also all the time we have taken to get to point where we are.

I'm sure Debi will be able to chime in and say it as eloquently as she always does icon_wink.gif (and I truly hope she does and I want to apologize in advance Indy if I've totally messed up your saying).

ButtercupMama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ButtercupMama Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 9:30pm
post #24 of 27

Yeah, I am making a Cake Boss show cake this week for chump change! Hee hee, actually my normal pricing, and I know I'm no Cake Boss, but if they think I'm expensive, I know they have no idea what the one on tv costs!
I SOOOO wish they would say the retail price every time they show a completed cake; that would really help... I have considered writing to some of these shows and pleading with them to do this!!

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 9:47pm
post #25 of 27

I found this on-line. It shows the cost of just 2 of Buddy's cakes.

The indricotherium cake he made cost $8000 and was enough to feed 500. That's $16/serving for a carved cake.

The 5 tier, sweet 16 bday cake they dropped down the stairs cost $3000 and had 200 servings. That's $15/serving.

http://www.delawareonline.com/article/20090803/LIFE05/908030309/1095/Cake-Boss-has-found-the-right-mix-for-success

This one mentions $$$ for Duff's cakes as well:
http://www.usatoday.com/life/television/news/2009-07-28-cake-boss_N.htm

indydebi Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 3:46am
post #26 of 27

http://blogs.discovery.com/tlc_cake_boss/
Buddy's blog (link above) shows cake prices in the $10-$12K range.

JoJo0855 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoJo0855 Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 4:05am
post #27 of 27
Quote:
Quote:

Encourage the bride and groom to have a small, but elegant wedding. A beautiful cake could be the center piece. Then take the rest of the money that would have been spent, and use it for a down payment on a house.

HaHa, too funny ... that's what we did! Except the elegant part ... we eloped at city hall and told everyone the next day. My family had a small gathering afterwards for us, a simple sheet cake from the grocery store.
We're now approaching our 25th anniversary, no regrets not having a traditional wedding.
BTW, no huge anniversary celebration planned either - our ann. is Christmas Eve and we're pretty sure everyone we know already have plans that night! icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%