Mmf And Tinting

Decorating By Laurie48 Updated 27 Aug 2009 , 4:26pm by Laurie48

Laurie48 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laurie48 Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 8:30pm
post #1 of 12

I have just started making MMF. The first time I used it I absolutely loved it - I didn't tint it. I made some last week and tried to tint it while I was making it. It seemed to be fine until I tried to roll it out. It kept breaking apart. Should I have added a little more water to it since I was using gel color - the color just seemed to make it drier?

Also, I keep my rolled fondant in a sealed container in my pantry per the directions. Everything I've read says to store MMF in the refrigerator. Is there a reason for this? Has anyone stored it like rolled fondant?

11 replies
PuffCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PuffCake Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 8:45pm
post #2 of 12

You may have added too much PS to it. I never add the full amount the recipe calls for. For tinting, I usually add the gel color to the melted MM before adding the PS. For small quantities of a certain color though, I just knead the color in by hand after I've added the PS.

I wrap it tightly in plastic wrap, then in a Ziploc bag, squeezing out all the air.

MrsNancyB1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsNancyB1 Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 8:46pm
post #3 of 12

Just for clarity, when you say that you colored it while you were making it, do you mean that you added the color to the melted marshmallows? Or you made it fresh and colored it right away?

I don't think the dryness of your fondant has anything to do with the coloring step. I think it has to do with storage. Try kneading it again, on a crisco covered surface. If that doesn't do the trick, try kneading Crisco directly INTO the fondant itself.

Either of those two things should restore pliability.

schnumvf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
schnumvf Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 1:27am
post #4 of 12

You could also try to pop it back in the microwave for about 5 seconds and knead it again. Make sure you coat your hands and working surface with veg shortening when you are kneading.

Laurie48 Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 3:40pm
post #5 of 12

I added the color after I mixed it all together because I was splitting the batch in two. I did put it back in the microwave for 15-30 seconds and that did help some, but I ended up throwing the colored batch away. I'll try adding less PS and see if that works. I really want to keep using the MMF because I had such good luck with it the first time and everyone who tasted it seemed to like it better than any fondant I had used before! Thanks for all your responses!

Laurie48 Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 3:43pm
post #6 of 12

To PuffCake - I was wondering, when you say you wrap it in plastic wrap and put it in a ziploc bag after you squeeze out the air, do you put it in your pantry or in the refrigerator?

Dacila77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dacila77 Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 3:48pm
post #7 of 12

I have never refrigerated mine and never had a problem with it. I do try and use it up within a few weeks though.

Laurie48 Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 3:52pm
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dacila77

I have never refrigerated mine and never had a problem with it. I do try and use it up within a few weeks though.

Thank you so much for your reply - I'm going to try storing it sealed in my pantry. I usually don't make it until I know I'm going to need it, so I also use mine within a week or two.

PuffCake Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 3:54pm
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurie48

To PuffCake - I was wondering, when you say you wrap it in plastic wrap and put it in a ziploc bag after you squeeze out the air, do you put it in your pantry or in the refrigerator?

I never refrigerate fondant. I just store in my pantry. I sometimes even put it in a tupperware container too! Plastic wrap, ziploc, container. It may be overkill, but it stays fresh. It always needs a few seconds in the microwave and kneading a bit of Crisco to help soften it up though.

Laurie48 Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 3:56pm
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuffCake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurie48

I never refrigerate fondant. I just store in my pantry. I sometimes even put it in a tupperware container too! Plastic wrap, ziploc, container. It may be overkill, but it stays fresh. It always needs a few seconds in the microwave and kneading a bit of Crisco to help soften it up though.

Thanks so much, I'm still so new at this I'm afraid of doing something stupid and end up making someone sick!

PuffCake Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 4:22pm
post #11 of 12

You're welcome Laurie48! MMF is pretty much all sugar...nothing can go bad with all that sugar icon_smile.gif

Laurie48 Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 4:26pm
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuffCake

You're welcome Laurie48! MMF is pretty much all sugar...nothing can go bad with all that sugar icon_smile.gif

I don't know what I'd do without the valuable information I get from this website and all its users!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%