Gift Box Cake...need Help

Decorating By BakedbyLisa Updated 25 Aug 2009 , 4:43pm by cadgurl07

BakedbyLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakedbyLisa Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 3:28pm
post #1 of 8

Hi all,
I'm gong to make a square gift box cake tonight and was looking for directions on how to make it look like it has a lid. I've made cakes before with just the plane square but want teh added look of a seperate lid. Can anyone guide me....PLEASE!!! icon_cry.gif

7 replies
renee2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
renee2007 Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 3:39pm
post #2 of 8

I recently did my first gift boxes and I flipped the cake pan over and applied the gumpaste to the pan, bringing the sides down to look like a lid. when it dried it fit perfect on top of the cake. hth

Musings9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Musings9 Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 3:43pm
post #3 of 8

I used RKT for my lid and then covered it in fondant.

Makeitmemorable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Makeitmemorable Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 3:46pm
post #4 of 8

Hi there,

I have made a couple of gift boxes - the lids I normally do out of styrofoam. They are covered in fondant just the same and then I sit them on the cakes. I have attached a couple of pictures.

You can make them out of cake with a thin layer of cake but you would need to stick it on a thin board.

Best of luck,

Kim
LL
LL

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 3:54pm
post #5 of 8

Beautiful cakes!

StaceyCakes75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StaceyCakes75 Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 4:16pm
post #6 of 8

I made a box cake a while back and to my surprise it really was not that hard. I baked 2 8" square. I torted them both in half making 4 pieces. 3 pieces were put together to make the box and one was on cake board covered in fondant to make the lid. I put 5 dowls in the cake with a small drop of hot glue on the top of each dowl to hold the lid in place. Oh yeah and the dowls were set at different heights to give the open box look.

Hope this helps.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1295902

txnonnie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
txnonnie Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 4:40pm
post #7 of 8

I did my first one and used styrofoam as the lid for simplicity. I find that if you first wrap the styrofoam in press n seal wrap the fondant/gumpaste adheres to it better.

cadgurl07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cadgurl07 Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 4:43pm
post #8 of 8

I used folded cardboard covered in a mixture of fondant and gumpaste. The supports are hidden pillars with the tops covered in some fondant that I glued (with piping gel) to the lid. Was very sturdy. It was for a wilton cake class. It made it there 1/2 hour, back to my house, 1/2 hour, and then to my work 45mins without a problem. See pic attached.
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%