Dh Cake Mix

Decorating By sherry-o Updated 24 Aug 2009 , 3:47pm by neelycharmed

sherry-o Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sherry-o Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 2:02pm
post #1 of 10

Is it just me or has DH cake mix become unreliable? ? I have used DH for many years. It is the only mix I ever use. But lately it is not very good sometimes. One time it is wonderful, the next time it may have poor texture or not be what I call quality cake. I made one yesterday and the batter was liquidy. It had a June /'10 expiration date. It was not soft and fuffy like it is suppose it be. Have they changed formula again?? Have any of you having the same probem??

9 replies
JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 2:54pm
post #2 of 10

I haven't noticed any difference.

Jen icon_smile.gif

Jaimelt76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jaimelt76 Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 3:13pm
post #3 of 10

I haven't noticed anything either as this is the only brand I use.

MrsNancyB1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsNancyB1 Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 4:38pm
post #4 of 10

I only use DH too, and didn't notice a difference as of yet.

I would contact DH myself, and file a complaint about it. At the very least they will offer a reimbursement for the boxes that you bought.

kokopuff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kokopuff Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 4:58pm
post #5 of 10

I have gotten a few boxes lately that weren't sealed properly,the plastic bag inside.I emailed the company and they sent me coupons to replace them.I did bake one because I thought since the outside box was sealed good and it didn't seem tampered with ,it would be ok,it wasn't ,it tasted horrible and had the texture of a sponge,not cake.I can't remember how it looked when mixing it but I'm wondering if this might have been your problem too?If you still have the box you should let them know.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 5:17pm
post #6 of 10

No problems here, that is the brand of choice for me.

cas17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cas17 Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 5:55pm
post #7 of 10

i have had a bad DH mix 3 times over the last year and 1/2. i just chalk it up to the fact that out of the millions of boxes they make there's bound to be a few bad ones. nothing is 100% perfect 100% of the time. just had a strawberry mix a couple weeks ago that didn't look right in the mixing bowl and then didn't bake up very tall and was a puffy crumbly mess when i tried to cut it in to slices even tho there were no other changes in a recipe that i use all the time. but i will continue to buy them cos for 99% of the time i don't have an issue and i personally like the taste better than the other brands. i have started using 1 DH and 1 BC for my WASC recipes.

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 12:00am
post #8 of 10

Every time i use DH in the WASC recipe, I get big craters. More so with chocolate. If i use one box DH & one box BC, no problems.

kokopuff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kokopuff Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 3:34pm
post #9 of 10

I did want to add that other than the occassional unsealed bag,I don't have any other problems and this is the only brand I use.I love the flavor of pillsbury but it is too moist for my carved cakes. icon_biggrin.gif

neelycharmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neelycharmed Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 3:47pm
post #10 of 10

DH is only available here in devils food and white, so I mainly use BC for other flavors..
good to know that I can use 1 each when making WASC.
thanks for the tip!
icon_smile.gif Jodi

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%