What Was Wrong?

Decorating By Rita1969 Updated 22 Aug 2009 , 7:46pm by Gingoodies

Rita1969 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rita1969 Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 1:14am
post #1 of 7

Hi Everybody!
I just baked a cheesecake and the top is cracked!
What did I do wrong and what can I do?
Should I bake it again tomorrow? I need the cake for Sunday.

I would like to cover with ganache, should I freeze the cake before or it is enough to put it in the fridge?

I would be grateful for any help!!!!

6 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 1:17am
post #2 of 7

Sometimes this just happens with cheesecake. Unless the crack is really deep, the ganache should cover the crack fine.

JoJo0855 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoJo0855 Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 1:24am
post #3 of 7

Sounds like it was in the oven too long ... unlike regular cakes where you want the tester to come out clean, cheesecake should be a little bit 'jiggly' in the middle. Some I know put a pie plate of water in the oven at the same time to add moisture but I've never done this.

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 2:38am
post #4 of 7

My cheesecakes crack all the time - that's what the topping is for! (lol)

this-mama-rocks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
this-mama-rocks Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 2:48am
post #5 of 7

Sometimes the crack is from dry oven air. I keep a bowl of water in the oven bottom to prevent cracks.

Sometimes the crack is from the cheesecake cooling too quickly after removing it from the oven. Some people turn the oven off, slightly open the door, and let the cheesecake gradually cool to preven cracks.

HTH

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 9:15am
post #6 of 7

The most elusive item in the universe is an uncracked cheescake LOLOL icon_biggrin.gif

Cracking comes from a few things. It can be baked to long, to quickly, or over mixing. Going around the outside edge to separate from pan will help.

Mike

Gingoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingoodies Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 7:46pm
post #7 of 7

I had to make cheesecakes for a wedding. They were to be covered in cream cheese icing. Who cared if they cracked.
All 4 cakes were PERFECT!. (12" cakes at that)
I did cook at 325 and used a water bath. I will never cook a cheesecake with out one again.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%