Issues W/ My Funky Tappit Cutter....

Decorating By IDoCakesinTX Updated 26 Aug 2009 , 2:40am by KitchenKat

susanscakecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanscakecreations Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 2:03pm
post #31 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuchenscm0109

I used fondant with mine the first time I used it (didn't read the directions cause, duh, I know what I am doing) and rolled it WAY to thick. My experience trying to get the fondant out of the cutter went something like this....."**whack whack** icon_mad.gif "You son of a......!" ***whack whack whack*** break icon_cry.gif . Watched Edna's video on Youtube...."ohhhhh" icon_surprised.gif "use gumpaste and roll thin". Now I love my Funky cutters. Thank you Edna thumbs_up.gif I think you saved everyone in my house from the whacking wrath of the Funky Cutter.

^^^^TOO FUNNY!!!!!!! "The whacking wrath of the Funky Cutter!" Love it!!
Yes, I say DEFINITELY watch Edna's video..........I have had NO problems with the cutters after watching her!
EDNA ROCKS!!!!!!!! icon_wink.gif

IDoCakesinTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IDoCakesinTX Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 2:15pm
post #32 of 48

Thank you! Thank you!!! Thank you!!!!!

I guess I'm off to try a batch of gumpaste icon_smile.gif

Also...can you make a bunch of these letter ahead of time and store them and use them at a moment's notice? Just curious if any one you do this....

CakeandDazzle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeandDazzle Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 2:29pm
post #33 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbuns

Edna you are a cool chick! I would love to sit under some of your teaching.... Think you might be in Vancouver, BC anytime soon!?

Not only cool.. but brillant too! Love all the videos, and now that i just ordered the funky letters will be watching the video! Oh and ill be in orlando in november... maybe ill have to do alittle stalking!! ill use a video camera and send it to you snowbuns!!! lmao

Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 2:32pm
post #34 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDoCakesinTX

Thank you! Thank you!!! Thank you!!!!!

I guess I'm off to try a batch of gumpaste icon_smile.gif

Also...can you make a bunch of these letter ahead of time and store them and use them at a moment's notice? Just curious if any one you do this....

Yes you can make them in advance and store them! I have an airtight container I keep all of gumpaste pieces in for future use. My layers are separated by paper towels or wax paper. I ALWAYS make extras of whatever it is I am making when working with gumpaste. Makes it nice later on when you need to make a last minute cake, want it to have a few special touches, but don't have enough time to make sugar decorations for it. icon_biggrin.gif

Live2create.....I bought my pasta machine at Bed Bath and Beyond for 69.00 and it has been a great investment for me! The brand is "Weston" and they have several different attachments you can purchase at later dates if you want to, even an electric motor can be put on it very easily. However, to date I have never needed anything other than what came in the box. Lots of decorators use this particular machine and it comes highly recommended. icon_biggrin.gif

Editing to say my reply to Live2create was meant to be answered on another thread! icon_redface.gif Oh well, maybe it will help someone on this thread too! icon_smile.gif

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 3:57pm
post #35 of 48

If you need to move the letters around before they are dry just use a paint brush and push them aside (I use corn starch to roll out on).

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 4:00pm
post #36 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedna

Have you ever tried this ones??

http://www.globalsugarart.com/product.php?id=16588

First time I tried them I thought I had wasted my money.. Finally I decided to use them like I used the tappits
and they surprisingly work great!...Now I love them!
Edna icon_smile.gif

Edna, do these cutters come with any instructions? Can we look forward to a video on youtube on these flowers? (hint hint)

lthiele Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lthiele Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 9:34pm
post #37 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuchenscm0109

Thank you Edna thumbs_up.gif I think you saved everyone in my house from the whacking wrath of the Funky Cutter.

icon_lol.gificon_cry.gificon_lol.gif

I thought I was going to snap mine clean in two with all the whacking! I'm always telling my 6 year old to be careful with his toys and even he was looking at me like "You're gonna break that mum!"

cocobean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocobean Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 11:22pm
post #38 of 48

Edna, thanks so much for your tutorial!!! icon_cool.gif Where can we get a little rolling pin like you have or a board like yours?

Teekakes Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 3:18am
post #39 of 48

EDNA! Where are you??? Alrighty mi amiga! I got those incredibly persnickity looking flower cutters in from GSA and am planning on attempting to make a full flower from them this week. icon_surprised.gif
Looks like some tedious work using these, but a fun challenge!
When and IF I am able to pull one of these off I'll let you know!

Teekakes Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 3:26am
post #40 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggy2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedna

Have you ever tried this ones??

http://www.globalsugarart.com/product.php?id=16588

First time I tried them I thought I had wasted my money.. Finally I decided to use them like I used the tappits
and they surprisingly work great!...Now I love them!
Edna icon_smile.gif

Edna, do these cutters come with any instructions? Can we look forward to a video on youtube on these flowers? (hint hint)

Tiggy, I just got mine in yesterday and they do have instructions but no photos. The instructions are ok if you know what they are talking about........you would. thumbs_up.gif
I am anxious to give these a try, even though I may be pulling my hair out by the time I finish one! icon_lol.gif

SueB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SueB Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 3:34am
post #41 of 48

I have used fondant everytime because I just don't use gumpaste for anything very often. I struggled a little at first but discovered the secret. Use cornstarch instead of crisco on your table and dust some in the letter also with a paint brush. It worked great! I watched Aine2's video on youtube to get that idea.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyS7msb13jE&feature=channel_page

The upper case letters are much harder to get out then the lower case but you can get them to come out. Just give a good whack and then let them sit for a bit so they dry a little before you try to move them. I love using these letters as you can see on some of my most recent cakes! Good luck...but don't give up!

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 2:08pm
post #42 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by SueB

I have used fondant everytime because I just don't use gumpaste for anything very often.

This is exactly why I want to figure out how to use them with fondant instead of gumpaste. I have never used gumpaste, don't own any, don't have any real urge to buy some. Unless I come up with a few more uses that make it necessary of course! thumbs_up.gif

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 7:02am
post #43 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvira

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueB

I have used fondant everytime because I just don't use gumpaste for anything very often.

This is exactly why I want to figure out how to use them with fondant instead of gumpaste. I have never used gumpaste, don't own any, don't have any real urge to buy some. Unless I come up with a few more uses that make it necessary of course! thumbs_up.gif

Just buy a container of tylose powder and use that in your fondant! It's pretty cheap and I looooooove how I don't have to have gp on hand (especially if I've already been coloring fondant for the cake). thumbs_up.gif

Melvira Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 2:05pm
post #44 of 48

I've heard that about tylose powder... does it really work well? I'll definitely have to try it. Thanks for the heads up!

cocobean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocobean Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 2:43pm
post #45 of 48

Melvira, I have never used gumpaste either. I knead in Wiltion Gum-Tex (powder) (I buy it from the craft store) to my already prepared fondant when I make bows and others things that need to be stiff. Last night I tried the Funky tappits for the first time using the same combo. I just rolled it really thin. It worked great! I'm just not sure yet how sturdy they will be. I'll have to see if I can paint them with color or luster dust and also pick them up and apply them to a cake without them breaking. (Since they are really thin). Hopefully they are just as strong as the gumpaste. If gumpaste is strong?

As far as the amount that I use I just guess. Probably one teaspoon of powder per 1/2 cup of fondant. Give it a try! thumbs_up.gif

Melvira Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 2:45pm
post #46 of 48

Thanks cocobean!

Teekakes Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 2:56pm
post #47 of 48

Maybe the climate one lives in helps in determining whether or not the fondant with tylose works.
I have tried it on several occasions and although it works for some projects, it is not nearly as stable and predictable as gumpaste is when making flowers and using any kind of cutter such as tappits or patchwork.
Every single time I have tried using fondant/tylose for these types of projects it just doesn't work nearly as well and it's always sticky to some degree Gumpaste never sticks on me and always makes a clean piece.
We are very humid and hot here. icon_rolleyes.gif

KitchenKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenKat Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 2:40am
post #48 of 48

I've used it with fondant. I normally use Gumpaste but I hate the soapy taste and I wanted these letters to be deliciously edible so I tried it with just fondant. I just rolled out the fondant really thin on a greased board, like Edna does on her video. Then I left it to dry for about an hour. Worked out nicely.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%