Dummy Cake Questions

Decorating By HarleyDee Updated 30 Aug 2009 , 7:49pm by cakebaby59

HarleyDee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HarleyDee Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 11:20pm
post #1 of 18

Ok, so, don't point the silly finger at me here. Well, maybe I deserve it, but anyway icon_smile.gif

I've only had to do 3 dummy cakes, and because of the circumstances, I wrapped them in plastic wrap before icing them. After the picture was taken, I simply unwrapped them, and did another one. I don't like wrapping them though, because sometimes the wrap makes bumps.

I think I read somewhere on here that you can apply icing directly to the styrofoam and then just wash it off. Is that correct? No special treatment needed? Can you wait for it to dry and then "break" it off?

My show is September 13. I'm doing at least 2 fondant dummy cakes, and at least 1 buttercream dummy. How far in advance can I make these?

Thanks so much for all the help so far. I'm just nervous about my first show!

17 replies
__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 11:27pm
post #2 of 18

I probably wouldn't do a dummy cake with real BC. PermaIce is probly your best bet. Or drywall spackle even.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 11:50pm
post #3 of 18

Yes, you can use real bc. And you can do it now so it dries out really well. And yes, you can just wash off dried bc or fondant. If you use PermaIce, and I used to use it all the time, do NOT let any of it go down your drain. Don't rinse off knives, or wash out bowls in your kitchen sink. Your drains will get clogged and you will be picking out tiny pieces of the stuff for months. Even after you have the drain snaked out. Can you tell I speak from experience?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 12:08am
post #4 of 18

I do all of my dummies in BC. It hardens like concrete. Kids love it at the shows when I say, "Sure! You can touch them!" When I'm ready to change them, I just run my icing spatula under the hardened BC and it pops off in big sheets (do this over the trash can). Wipe with a damp cloth and you're ready to go again!

When making dummy icing, I use water instead of milk and I leave out the dream whip and the vanilla (no one is going to eat it, after all).

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 12:30am
post #5 of 18

I've done dummy cakes in both fondant and buttercream and both worked fine. Just make sure if anything on your cake is PINK to keep it either in a box or in a dark closet. I can tell you from experience that pink fades in daylight! LOL! I've heard lavender does the same thing. On the buttercream cake, I was able to just kind of pick it off in big chunks then take a butter knife and scrape off anything that didn't fall off when I started disassembling it. Just wash the rest off with soap and water.

Good luck with your show!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 12:39am
post #6 of 18

Pink and lavender/purples have been the worst about fading since they took the Red Dye #2 off the market back in the '70's. No substitute was found that was as good. So any reds/pinks may fade. Any purples (which is red + blue) may fade ... some may fade to blue as the red disappears.

HarleyDee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HarleyDee Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 2:17am
post #7 of 18

Y'all are awesome icon_smile.gif Thanks icon_biggrin.gif

jenng1482 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenng1482 Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 2:23am
post #8 of 18

I'm fairly new to this and there are so mnay techniques i want to try. I was thinking about getting a few dummies. Where is the best place you have found to purchase them?

leah_s Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 2:27am
post #9 of 18

dallas foam online .com

joy5678 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joy5678 Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 4:14am
post #10 of 18

Has anyone made their own dummies? I read somewhere that you can make your own by using the spray foam stuff that you use to seal windows, cracks etc. You fill a cake pan and it expands to mold to the pan. After it dries (which is really quick) relase it from the pan and start icing it! I wondered if you should spray the pan with Pam first so that it would release easier??? Has anyone done this? I would like to know if it works.

luvbugcreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvbugcreations Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 2:17am
post #11 of 18

I would also like to know about this?

joy5678 Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 2:26am
post #12 of 18

OK, I purchased the foam. It's called "Great Stuff". Filled a 6" pan after spraying it with Pam. Waiting for it to dry. It takes 8 hrs. to completely be ready, so I'll let ya know how it turns out tomorrow. I'm anxious to find out myself! icon_smile.gif

joy5678 Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 11:53pm
post #13 of 18

AAAAAGGGGG! Don't try it!!! I tried the foam and it sticks to the pan. Tried to get it out by sliding sharp knife around the edges but when it finally came out, the shape was ruined and there is no way it could look like a cake........Oh well, live and learn.....right! icon_smile.gif

lynnfrompa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynnfrompa Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 2:39pm
post #14 of 18

I bought some foam dummies from Taylor Foam. They were really nice and have a good selection, some of the cheapest prices I have found. They do sets as well as individual shapes. The foam pieces are solid, not hollow.

Hope this helps.

Lynn

lovetofrost Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovetofrost Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 4:24am
post #15 of 18

does anyone know anything about using permaice or royal on their dummies. someone said you can wash the icing after you decorate on it.

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 5:25am
post #16 of 18

Taylor Foam and Dal las Foam (no spaces) are 2 great places to purchase cake dummies on-line.

I also found this place and the prices are pretty good and shipping real cheap. The downside is the largest they have is 12" round (all of them are 4" high).

http://www.plasteelcorp.com/foamshapes/category/cakes.html?gclid=CO-RtIbSypwCFR0Sagod8hsoKA

leah_s Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 11:24am
post #17 of 18

yes you can wash PermaIce HOWEVER, do not wash your bowls or utensils with PermaIce in your sink. You will be picking it out of your drain for months,and months. icon_sad.gif
--Voice of Experience

cakebaby59 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaby59 Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 7:49pm
post #18 of 18

Drywall Spackle??? Can u color it? Would that be permanant? Would it be hard to smooth? Guess you can tell I have never used it...but it has peaked my intrest!!! LOL Thanks...Linda

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%