Silver Fondant?

Decorating By hollyh Updated 20 Aug 2009 , 2:41am by Bonavolonta

hollyh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hollyh Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 12:53am
post #1 of 10

I have been asked to make a silver cake with black damask stenciled on. How should I make the fondant silver? I have luster/duting powder but I don't know that it would show up enough. Any ideas? Thanks!

9 replies
CutiePieCakes-Ontario Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 12:58am
post #2 of 10

In last week's (repeat) episode of AofC, Duff/Geoff had to replicate the Stanley Cup. Geoff said that to make something totally silver like that would be toxic. They did get around it, but I don't remember how. There is nothing to make it a shiney silver - if that's what you're looking for.

I think others have done silver (accents, scrolls), though, so perhaps someone can help you out.

hollyh Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 1:04am
post #3 of 10

Yes, I have heard that some people mix the silver luster dust with alcohol. Will this work in this case?

varika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
varika Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 1:07am
post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollyh

Yes, I have heard that some people mix the silver luster dust with alcohol. Will this work in this case?

The nusilver luster dust, mixed with alcohol--I prefer Everclear--makes a very nice sort of pewter-silver finish. It's not a mirror-bright finish, but it's definitely silver.

hollyh Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 1:08am
post #5 of 10

Thank you so much! I don't need anything too shiny just a hint of silver so that should hopefully work!

varika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
varika Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 1:10am
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollyh

Thank you so much! I don't need anything too shiny just a hint of silver so that should hopefully work!

The topsy turvy in my photos has polka dots painted with the luster dusts--silver among them. I would say they came out roughly like the finish of a car, actually. It should be pretty good for what you're doing, yeah.

Bonavolonta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bonavolonta Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 1:13am
post #7 of 10

I use the silver airbrush stuff made by Americolor. I don't have an airbrush so I just paint in on.

hollyh Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 1:13am
post #8 of 10

You are right! That is just what I am looking for! Thank you and you have some made great cakes!

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 1:49am
post #9 of 10

I had trouble with the Americolor Silver Sheen airbrush color staying tacky for a long time when I painted it on the fondant.

I used Crystal Colors Bright Silver pearlized luster dust mixed with Everclear (any clear drinking alcohol or lemon extract will work) and had a wonderful, shiny silver result. The colors are edible, food grade, and Kosher.

http://www.sugarpaste.com/catalog/orderPearlColors.htm

HTH
Rae
LL

Bonavolonta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bonavolonta Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 2:41am
post #10 of 10

It does stay tacky forever. I usually have to do touch ups. Your cake looks great! I had no idea luster dust would show up so vivid. I'll have to give it a try.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%