Who Gets Paid More?

Business By Bethroze Updated 20 Aug 2009 , 6:25pm by akgirl10

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 1:20pm
post #31 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethroze

Thanks everyone! I am trying to get information to help out a friend opening a bakery and bistro. I will be on call for doing specialty cakes. My hours will be on an "as needed" basis for weddings, birthdays, etc. It is almost like I am renting her kitchen, but I will be bring in customers that may stay for lunch as well. icon_wink.gif

This is so new to me, and her as well, so I want everything to be fare and "win/win" for both of us.

well the scenario you are stating is totally different then.

If she is a bistro owner and contracting you to do her specialty cakes then you aren't really working for her, you are working for yourself as an independant contractor. You set your price for the cake she pays you, she marks it up for the customer to pay so she can make a profit. You both win. Now if you are going in and using her kitchen then cut your price per cake to her or if you don't have your own shop, and you want to build your business and she is wanting you to do her cake orders at her kitchen then work out a deal between the two of you so you can market your cakes to other venues and clients other than her bistro. Make the cakes for her at a deeply discounted rate for the use of her kitchen, that way she profits a little more on the cake orders she generates, and you have a commercial kitchen to use to produce all your cake orders: hers and other outside clients icon_smile.gifthumbs_up.gif

Bethroze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bethroze Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 6:00pm
post #32 of 33

I hadn't even thought of that...So, I could make my own business (name, licenses and all), then using her legal kitchen, give her the best deals on the cakes she orders to sell from her shop, and I can keep my own clientel. Uhg...something new to put on the plate. This gets a lot more complicated as time goes by and the doors on the store haven't even opened yet.

Speaking of which, she has already taken four cake orders for me, but I am going to have to do them from home next weekend with my ingredients because the painters will be there. DH says that I should just pay her a finders fee of about $50 to $100 and keep the rest myself.

akgirl10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akgirl10 Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 6:25pm
post #33 of 33

Well if you're not using her kitchen or supplies yet, a finder's fee would be appropriate. But you need to get that ironed out before those 4 orders. She might be expecting something else.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%