Cowboy Hat... Help!

Decorating By Angela93 Updated 19 Aug 2009 , 9:23pm by xstitcher

Angela93 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Angela93 Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 4:45am
post #1 of 11

Its my father-in-laws birthday saturday and i just got the idea to make him a hat for his cake! he would loooove it but i've never used fondant to cover a cake before (let alone shape it like a hat) so could i get some pointers please?

one thing i'm worried about it the fondant! i've only made mmf and it never somes out very stretchy! i've only been able to use it for decor, never to cover a cake! anyone have any other recipes that might be better? i live in az which it is extremely dry right now soo... i'm sure that might have something to do with iticon_smile.gif and how do i shape the rim of the hat? how long will it take to stiffin for it to stand by itself? should i start now?! tomorrow is tuesday... that gives me 4 days.... is that enough time???

10 replies
cdent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cdent Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 5:04am
post #2 of 11

Here's a good recipe for MMF:

Marshmallow Fondant
Recipe will cover an 8 square cake or about 2 dozen good size cookies
2 batches will cover a 12 square cake

Ingredients

16oz bag mini marshmallows
2 Tablespoons water
2 pounds Sifted C&H powdered sugar

Directions

1. Grease a microwaveable bowl, spoon & work surface with Crisco
2. Place marshmallows and water in bowl
3. Microwave on high for two minutes, until melted (mallows will be
puffy)
4. Stir with the greased spoon until all marshmallows are evenly
melted (you can add color in this step if you prefer!)
5. Begin to add sifted powdered sugar; stir it in until you can no
longer stir & then try to knead it in the bowl until its too difficult
6. Turn fondant onto work surface & continue to knead in sugar;
hopefully you can get it all in
7. Shape into ball, cover in shortening and wrap it twice in plastic
wrap (The fondant will keep for quite awhileI wouldnt go more
than a few weeks though if you want it to taste fresh.) It will
harden when its cold or when its been sitting. Pop it in the
microwave (no need to cover) for 10-15 seconds and knead it.
BE CAREFULit can develop hot spots inside.

What I did for my hat cake was to buy a real cowboy hat and flatten the rim as much as I could on a large piece of cardboard to make the template. I rolled out my fondant/gumpaste mix (50/50 to make sure it sets up nice and hard) a little thicker than normal and cut out the rim shape with the template. I used two identical cans to prop up under each side of the rim to make it look like my model hat (the rim doesn't need to go up too far to look good...you'll be able to use your judgment) and let it dry as long as possible, should be good to go in 24-48 hours. I would start on the rim now being that it's your first attempt so you have time to make another one if needed (which I doubt you will) icon_smile.gif Good luck! Can't wait too see pics!

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 5:11am
post #3 of 11

if i am not mistaken.. there is a great tutorial on this site. start on home page. and scroll until you see it.. hth

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 5:11am
post #4 of 11

I live in humid area, but will try and help.

I cut a 16 round fondant for the brim. I add tylose to make it firm up. I would think that the dryness will help with that. I roll up a piece of poster board to look like the brim of a hat, cover it with wax paper and dry the fondant on that. You can also get a cheap hat cover in wax paper(or parchment) for a form. Dust liberally with corn starch.

I use 3 9 inch cake layers for the crown of the cake. I take a center v shape out of the middle and then trim the sides to give it shape. Cut smaller than you think you will need. It is easier to cut more and a heck of a lot harder to add it back on. crumb coat and then let it settle for a few hours. Finish the base ice, chill it and then cover in fondant. I really do prefer to use Michelle Foster's Fondant. Stack the cake on the brim, add a hat band and you have a great cake to celebrate.

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 7:43am
post #5 of 11

Use MFF (Michele Foster fondant) I personally think it's better than MMF. You can use milk or cream for the liquid btw.

Here's the link:
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Recipes&sort=recipename&sort_dir=ASC&op=search&chname=X&chingredients=X&searchtext=michele+foster&cat_id=-1&x=&y=

or you could add glycerin to your MMF recipe. I think Rhonda's Ultimate MMF recipe uses corn syrup to help with pliability.

Here's a tutorial on how to make a cowboy hat:

http://cakecentral.com/articles/130/how-to-make-a-cowboy-hat-cake

HTH

Angela93 Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 6:55pm
post #6 of 11

ok so i made the hats brim.... now is there any thing i can brush on the fondant to speed up the hardening process?

Angela93 Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 6:56pm
post #7 of 11

ok so i made the hats brim.... now is there any thing i can brush on the fondant to speed up the hardening process?

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 7:13pm
post #8 of 11

too late for my advice - i was about to reply and say fondant on its own probably isnt how to do the brim - wont dry as strong, or as hard as gumpaste or a 50/50 mix.

theres not really much you can do to speed up the drying process. you can put it in the oven with the light on, no heat, which apparently helps though.

have you done the cake? just i was also going to say that bough fondant might be a good idea, then you will know what kind of texture you are aiming for when you make it your self. but mmf and mff are the most popular home made ones on here.
xx

Angela93 Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 7:48pm
post #9 of 11

i realized i should've done a 50/50 mix after it was already made... darn! do you think it will be strong enough by saturday afternoon? thats a whole 72 hours to dry! i hope so.... if not, that ok.... i'll figure some way to rig iticon_smile.gif

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 8:00pm
post #10 of 11

id probably be making a back up version! id just be nervy of it breaking - although reparably or easy enough to cover probably.
as to whether or not it will be dry, im not sure! the thinner it is, the more likely it will be dry, especially if your area is pretty dry too.
xx

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 9:23pm
post #11 of 11

If you're planning on making another one and have some tylose add that to your fondant or do a 50/50 mix. If you don't have tylose you can use Wilton's gum tex (although I personally don't think it's as good as tylose it will work).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%