Camo Cake

Decorating By weberm05 Updated 10 Feb 2011 , 8:33am by conwayinkzn

weberm05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weberm05 Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 8:49pm
post #1 of 8

I did a search but couldn't find anything.

I have to do a camo cake this weekend. How do I ice this?

I looked at pics on here. It looks like you maybe pipe the different colors on the cake.

Maybe outline the different color sections...then pipe that area? Then just repeat it. Then smooth it out???

Any tips would be appreciated

Thanks

Molly

7 replies
lchris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lchris Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 9:04pm
post #2 of 8

I did one, and it's basically what you said.

Pipe the area, then fill in with a little offset spatula, smooth with viva.

HTH thumbs_up.gif

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 10:44pm
post #3 of 8

I have drawn with a toothpick the shapes first. Then I planned out the colors trying to make sure no two of the same colors end up abutting against each other creating a huge spot of the same color. I pipe the color out with tip 5. (round tip). then I spread it with a small spatula to smooth it.

JCE62108 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JCE62108 Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 10:53pm
post #4 of 8

what about doing it in fondant? Couldnt you just cut out random shapes in green, black, and brown and put them on a tan background, then roll it to make it one piece and cover your cake with it?

The only time Ive done camo before was at work and I airbrushed it. I think trying to smooth it with buttercream could potentially look a little messy and ragged. I think fondant would look the best but Im sure its possible with BC if you are really careful and take your time smoothing it.

kakedreamer1212 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakedreamer1212 Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 11:19pm
post #5 of 8

Well, I've not done a camo on BC but I have done a leopard print on BC. Its in my pics. Its the one with a pink bow and a white kitten on top. I iced the cake with a crusting BC, smoothed it using the high density foam roller method, piped on the design with the same buttercream and just rolled over it with the same roller method. I cant remember the name of this method but I'm sure someone on here can tell you. I think this would work for camo.

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 11:48pm
post #6 of 8

I've done two BC camo cakes. I did them like you mentioned... freehand pipe the camo shapes and fill in, smooth slightly w/ a spatula, then Viva when it's crusted.

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 12:41pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakedreamer1212

the high density foam roller method ... I cant remember the name of this method but I'm sure someone on here can tell you.

The Melvira method. Invented by CC's own Melvira!

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-42675-share.html+care
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-47753-foam.html+roller

conwayinkzn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
conwayinkzn Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 8:33am
post #8 of 8

Hi all, it sounds like an amazing technique. Now for my stupid question part icon_redface.gif what on earth is crusting BC. My BC doesn't ever crust so i'm now really curious?

Thanks,
Lee-Ann

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%