maryjsgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryjsgirl Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 6:10pm
post #31 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by K8memphis-

Everything is a chemical.

'Organic' vanilla = orchids

I don't get your point.

By your definition feces is also a mere chemical, doesn't mean I want it in my cake.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 6:17pm
post #32 of 44

I would hope not Maryjs....but have you ever tried this?

http://www.lifeaftercoffee.com/2005/09/16/the-straight-poop-on-kopi-luwak-coffee/

Mmmmm, that's some good shi*! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 6:22pm
post #33 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by maryjsgirl

Quote:

I don't get your point.

By your definition feces is also a mere chemical, doesn't mean I want it in my cake.

Substances that go through a change.

What are you possibly thinking of to say something so outlandish.
Where's your mind, girl?

Here's Merriam Webster on chemistry

1 : a science that deals with the composition, structure, and properties of substances and with the transformations that they undergo
2 a : the composition and chemical properties of a substance <the chemistry of iron>

My example is that vanilla, a substance, comes from orchids.
It's a chemical process, changes occur.
The vodka or bourbon we might use to make our vanilla has been uberly chemically treated and processed.

And that's way more explanation than your fecal comment deserved.

Spuddysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spuddysmom Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 6:38pm
post #34 of 44

I think it totally depends on what your client likes. I worked as a chocolatier with high-end chocolate in a very competitive market - only the best, freshest spices, liquors and compounds go in and yes, our customers could tell, but with cakes I find that while I only want to make and eat scratch cakes most of the folks I bake for LOVE mix cakes - and yes, every time there are comments of "Wow! I can tell this is from scratch... etc" when it is just a doctored mix I think it must be because most people now grew up on the stuff.

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 6:45pm
post #35 of 44

Okay...in truth this is one of those "there is a butt for every seat" type discussions. I hate cake from a mix, and I can ALWAYS tell, not so much by taste, because you can doctor away that smell, but you can't get rid of that weird propylene glycol tongue coating texture.

You can make an entirely decent living selling cakes made from a mix because there are a lot of people who care more about the looks of the cake than the ingredients used. A very large portion of the American population is acclimated to box-mix cake, because the resurgence of scratch baking is a pretty recent phenomenon. Most people's cooking style is more " Sandra Lee" than Martha Stewart.

For me this only gets to be a "controversy" when someone says something like " using only the finest ingredients" when they are pumping out Betty Crocker. Now while I don't expect anyone to advertise " made with same crap you can get at Walmart", but to me if you are using a mix, you should be advertising your decorating skills, not you epicurean bonafides.

DreamCakesOnline Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DreamCakesOnline Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 6:55pm
post #36 of 44

Know what I think is the difference? I think they grew up on stuff like Hostess and other mass produced stuff that tastes like cardboard. If a machine bakes it along with a thousand other exact replicas, it's a mix and if a person does it one cake at a time, it's scratch. You guys are forgetting that there's a third world of cake out there that you buy in plastic wrap. That's why even a doctored mix tastes better than what they expect. My scratch comes out nasty, maybe it's the humidity, maybe it's me. Doesn't matter. I sell something they are willing to pay to eat because it tastes so good and the customer is the final word on it. Those who love to bake from scratch are doing it for themselves because THEY love it, and luckily their customers must like it or they wouldn't buy it. Mine wouldn't buy my scratch baking. Quite frankly, I get tired of people trying to make me feel inferior because I have identified my weakness and I use a mix to compensate for it. My strength is decorating and the artwork, not the cake itself, but it has to be edible to get repeat business. If I haven't been able to do scratch well after 30 years of trying, I think it's my right to do what I want to be able to make my cake for my customer as long as we're all happy. AND, I do not advertise that I use only the finest ingredients. I tell them I offer a variety of delicious flavors and fillings.

-K8memphis Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 6:55pm
post #37 of 44

Snarks, I think you said it very well.

And I agree with Spuddsy's Mom too people think if it's good it's________ fill in the blank--whichever one they like the best--not really which one it actually is.

And you hear it so often and they're so way wrong.

DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 7:00pm
post #38 of 44

I use both. Most of my sheet cakes are the doctored mixes and WASC variations, because i find that most everybody likes them, they are reliable for me, because I don't have time to try lots of different recipes. If I get a request specifically for scratch, then i will bake that. In some cases I think people have said that, just to see if I can do it. One lady said she liked the doctored box as much as the scratch white cake i made for her in the same week. The scratch recipe was "A Better White Cake" which was good, but maybe I'm one of those folks used to box mix, because I still preferred the WASC.

LizzyLaw06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LizzyLaw06 Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 7:01pm
post #39 of 44

i myself use the box mix only, then add my own stuff too. i looove my choc recipe using devils food box as a base. i agree, do what's comfy for you.

maryjsgirl Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 7:35pm
post #40 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by __Jamie__

I would hope not Maryjs....but have you ever tried this?

http://www.lifeaftercoffee.com/2005/09/16/the-straight-poop-on-kopi-luwak-coffee/

Mmmmm, that's some good shi*! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

I have heard of that before. But, coffee tastes like ish to me period, lol, so I wouldn't know the difference.

DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 7:41pm
post #41 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracycakes

I have some scratch and some doctored mixes. I love Hershey's scratch chocolate cake but I'm haven't tried to make a large cake and cover it with fondant. I"m just afraid it won't hold up. Another time, I made a chocolate cake with doctored mix and was told that it was the best chocolate cake ever!

Everyone LOVES WASC! However, carrot cake HAS to be from scratch. I just wish I could find a strawberry cake, mix or scratch, that I like. icon_cry.gif

I think it's whatever you and your customer like.

I tried the DH Strawberry mix, using the WASC variation; i replaced the water wtih puree'd frozen strawberries (thawed, blended into puree' and measured out 2 2/3 cups), i replaced the flavoring with a couple drops of LorAnn strawberry flavor....it was the best and moistest strawberry cake.

maryjsgirl Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 7:48pm
post #42 of 44
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryjsgirl

Quote:

I don't get your point.

Substances that go through a change.

What are you possibly thinking of to say something so outlandish.
Where's your mind, girl?

Here's Merriam Webster on chemistry

1 : a science that deals with the composition, structure, and properties of substances and with the transformations that they undergo
2 a : the composition and chemical properties of a substance <the chemistry of iron>

My example is that vanilla, a substance, comes from orchids.
It's a chemical process, changes occur.
The vodka or bourbon we might use to make our vanilla has been uberly chemically treated and processed.

And that's way more explanation than your fecal comment deserved.

No you should explain yourself. Downplaying some of the nasty things they put in foods these days by saying it's just "another chemical" like vanilla isn't responsible debate.

-K8memphis Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 8:05pm
post #43 of 44

Vanilla is made from orchids.
Orchids go through a process to become the vanilla we use.
We steep the beans in alcohol to make vanilla.
It's a chemical process, several chemical processes probably.

Ok so talking about feces in cakes is responsible, is that what it is.
Thanks for the lesson in good debate.

I'm saying that avoiding chemicals and chemical processes is an inacurate argument. It's not a viable point. It's silly at best.

Vanilla is made from a chemical process.

I think you're doing pretty good talking about the nasty stuff.
You don't need my help.

CakeRx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeRx Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 12:00am
post #44 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by cathyscakes

I seem to have more problems with white cakes from scratch, always looking for a good recipe, still like doctored white cake mix recipes better. I usually think white cakes from scratch tastes floury, dry, flat, I haven't found the perfect recipe for it. I wouldn't feel bad about using a mix, alot of people on cc use mixes, they usually doctor them, so its like your own recipe.

I agree. I've tried many recipes from scratch; the best white I've found for taste and texture is Collete's White recipe. It is heavier than box cake mix and seemed to rise higher than my mixes. HOWEVER, my DH and nearly everyone I bake cakes for rave about how moist and delicious my white cakes are, and they don't believe they are doctored PILLSBURY SUPER MOIST WHITE cake mixes! (Am I allowed to say that?) I'm questioning why I am grappling with scratch recipes. icon_smile.gif By the way, scratch is definitely more expensive. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%