Will I Ever Be Satisfied?!?

Decorating By StacyR Updated 17 Aug 2009 , 7:46pm by Mencked

StacyR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StacyR Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 9:20pm
post #1 of 10

I obsess about every cake I do and can't enjoy the good because I only see the mistakes. How do I know when a cake is finished if I always think it looks terrible?!?!? Will this change as I improve and get more experienced?

Stacy

9 replies
this-mama-rocks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
this-mama-rocks Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 9:38pm
post #2 of 10

We had this conversation a LOT when I was in interior design school.

The consensus was, you just get to a point where you stop designing, otherwise you will drive yourself (and everybody else) nuts. Where exactly that "point" is, only you can say, but it will change as you gain experience. I usually got to that "point" when I was either too tired to see straight or when it was time to roll up the drawing and head to class.

HTH

CeeTee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CeeTee Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 9:39pm
post #3 of 10

It won't change with experience...it will only change when you stop obsessing and being so hard on yourself. When someone compliments your cake, just smile and accept it graciously. Choose to focus on what you do right rather than what you do wrong. Most importantly, give up trying to be a perfectionist. Even the decorators on TV have bad days and don't do things perfectly all the time.

If you can, have someone else look at your cake when you are done, but before you try to 'fix' it. It's good to have someone around to give a second opinion and offer honest constructive criticism than try to hold yourself to unrealistic standards.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 11:31pm
post #4 of 10

I looked at your photos and your cakes are wonderful! And believe me, I'm one of those people who can spot flaws in cakes, so I wouldn't say that if it weren't true icon_biggrin.gif

Anyhow, you will get to a point where you know when the cake is done. I never used to know when I was done with something, but now that I can make it look just like the picture in my mind, I can stop when it matches the picture...unless I have a flaw that I have to cover up.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 1:22am
post #5 of 10

It happens to me all the time. I keep decorating until I feel that it is "okay". Most of the time I am not happy but oh well.

StacyR Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 3:30pm
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

Anyhow, you will get to a point where you know when the cake is done. I never used to know when I was done with something, but now that I can make it look just like the picture in my mind, I can stop when it matches the picture...unless I have a flaw that I have to cover up.

I guess I just need to get better skills or quit looking at the flawless cakes on cakecentral! lol The cakes on my table rarely match the image in my head. The difference is skill. I think I'm going to look into some classes today.

Thanks so much for replying! I had a really rough day and needed some insight.

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 6:33pm
post #7 of 10

You might just be one of those people who is never satisfied - maybe your expectations are set really high and you can't quite meet them. (your cakes are great, BTW - you have nothing to worry about!)

The key thing is not to point out the 'errors' to other people, because you can be sure they're not seeing them! I have force myself to keep quiet when someone's ooh-ing and ahh-ing over a cake, and all I want to do is show them every little glaring mistake! Don't do it, smile and say "I'm glad you like it" (practice saying it before you go! Seriously).

StacyR Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 6:41pm
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TubbsCookies

You might just be one of those people who is never satisfied - maybe your expectations are set really high and you can't quite meet them. (your cakes are great, BTW - you have nothing to worry about!)

The key thing is not to point out the 'errors' to other people, because you can be sure they're not seeing them! I have force myself to keep quiet when someone's ooh-ing and ahh-ing over a cake, and all I want to do is show them every little glaring mistake! Don't do it, smile and say "I'm glad you like it" (practice saying it before you go! Seriously).

Thank you and that's phenomenal advice! I'm terrible about pointing out errors before anyone notices them on their own. I think it's a defense mechanism. I'll stop. Oh, and, I'm glad you like it. icon_biggrin.gif

varika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
varika Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 7:05pm
post #9 of 10

Short answer: no.

I seldom feel satisfied with my cakes while I'm working on them, either. I HAVE at least reached the point where I can say, "I like it a lot better now that I've had ten hours away from it."

Another trick: keep a private portfolio of EVERY CAKE you make. When you're feeling particularly down, go back and open the earliest photos. It's PHENOMENAL how much better your cakes nwo are compared to when you started; I can guarantee it without even seeing photos!

Also learn to settle for "good enough" in your own mind. It'll probably never match the picture you have in your head, but there is always always ALWAYS a point where you can go, "...it looks okay here, and if I do more it might not look okay after that." That's usually a good place to stop. Assuming you reach it before you reach the "if I have to pipe ONE MORE STUPID LEAF OR PETAL, I'm going to throw this cake at the WALL!" stage, of course! icon_lol.gif

Mencked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mencked Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 7:46pm
post #10 of 10

I still never feel quite satisfied with my cakes. I am really good at telling myself not to point out the flaws that I see or imagine any more though....that takes some serious self-talk! I keep thinking that, at some point, I'll have so many cakes to do in a week that I won't have the time to obsess over each one so much!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%