Please Help...trying To Start My Business And Im Stuck

Business By LizzyLaw06 Updated 15 Aug 2009 , 7:22pm by Doug

LizzyLaw06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LizzyLaw06 Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 5:50pm
post #1 of 3

well i looked up my states laws for in home bakery. it's only $10 per year to register plus pass an inspection for your kitchen. i'd have to register if i intend on making any profit with my cakes. not like it's next week or anything but hopefully next year. as i mentioned i have some friends who want me to make cakes and that's a start. Well while looking into the laws for the home i see that an inhome bakery is not allowed to have pets.. we have 3 cats and a dog. i cannot heart getting rid of them but at the same time i dont want to give this up. DH says we can open a shop. i am nowhere near that good yet. or just buy a space for the kitchen and do my cakes out of that. We are in to position to even get approved for a business loan. I would love to have a space like that. Is there really a such thing of small business grants? How would i even find that resource. that would be nice. That would allow me to get the space, ovens, refridgorators, freezers, ect that i would need.

any help would be great

2 replies
jhutch04 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jhutch04 Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 7:07pm
post #2 of 3

I'm in the same position you are. I would love to have a licensed bakery in my home, but I have 3 dogs. I have been looking for a kitchen to rent in my area or an "incubator kitchen" which is almost like a community kitchen where you can rent time and storage. You should look into that. It is impossible for me to license my home kitchen, and I do not make enough money to rent out a shop. So I am stuck as well. I also read that you can call schools and churches and see if they would rent out their kitchen to you. And I don't believe that you have to get them inspected because they should already be a licensed kitchen. Hope this helps a little bit. icon_smile.gif

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 7:22pm
post #3 of 3

check to see if OH allows you to an attached, but separate entrance kitchen and also have pets in the main house.

such as -- close off entrance to current garage and covert to the kitchen and it would have separate outside entrance. You would not be able to go directly from main house to the cake kitchen, but have to actually "leave home" and "go to work"

or possibly an outbuilding -- a detached building -- could be garage or oversize yard shed / storage building

of course if they do, this means building a new garage too what with the snow up there.

Quote by @%username% on %date%