First Timer - Success!!

Decorating By sugarandslice Updated 15 Aug 2009 , 9:50pm by sugarandslice

sugarandslice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarandslice Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 7:26am
post #1 of 10

I just wanted to share my success. I've just finished my first fondant covered cake. Also the first time I've ever made gumpaste flowers. I'm very, very new to caking and after spending altogether much too much time here on CC (I love it!) in the last month I've actually made a great cake! It's in no way perfect, but I'm so proud of how much I've been able to learn on my own and with the vast help I've got here.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1436933&sub=1436934&done=1

So thanks to all those CCers who probably don't know how much they help people just by sharing their knowledge, experience, hints and tips with those of us just starting out.
Getting excited and enthusiastic about caking in the last month is the first time I've felt positive in a long time. I've found it the best therapy in helping me overcome my post-natal depression (post-partum). I know this is probably too much information, but wanted people to know that you may not think it's much to give feedback or share your knowledge, but it really is a huge help to newbies like me!

The cake was for my mum's 65th birthday and she really loved it. I was so pleased that it not only looked great but it tasted awesome too. Everyone loved it. Next challenge, a tiered cake.......!

9 replies
xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 8:47am
post #2 of 10

I see you got the cake decorating bug! icon_biggrin.gif

Share away, that's what we're all here for! I've learned so much myself coming to CC and I actually started shortly after my last baby was born (he's 20 months old now).

I think you did a fantastic job on your first fondant cake, no visible bumps/lumps/tearing or anything of that nature. Your flowers look real pretty too. Great gift for your Mum.

Tiered cakes aren't too hard especially if you've been hanging out here a lot. Way to go! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

lillermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lillermom Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 11:04am
post #3 of 10

oh my gosh it looks fantastic! Great job!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 12:33pm
post #4 of 10

Lillermom took the words right outa my mouth.

Oh my gosh--your first??? I love it.

The different shades & sizes of flowers artfully scattered around is brilliant.

I'm sure your Mum was blessed.

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 12:55pm
post #5 of 10

Wow. Great job. Your fondant looks super smooth, and you got a really nice edge. Love the flowers in the graduated shades of pink. I'll bet your mom was soooo proud.

chesty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chesty Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 12:56pm
post #6 of 10

that is fabulous! You are going to have so many new friends now you can make cakes! icon_lol.gif

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 1:23pm
post #7 of 10

Your Cake Looks Amazing
Great Job For your First
Very Pretty Flowers

MissCathcart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissCathcart Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 1:34pm
post #8 of 10

You didn't go overboard with too many details. It looks very classy. Obviously, you'll go very far with caking.

mjk350 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjk350 Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 2:01pm
post #9 of 10

Looks fantastic!!! You did great!! thumbs_up.gif

sugarandslice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarandslice Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 9:50pm
post #10 of 10

Thanks so much everyone for your lovely, encouraging comments.
icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%