post #1 of 42

is called to order.

Who's up?

Whatcha workin' on?

41 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 2:52am
post #2 of 42

I am just starting a two tier fondant cake. Well, it's baked, torted and settled, but I'm just now rolling fondant.

Five tier bc is done.

Football field groom's cake is based iced.

procrastibaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
procrastibaker Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 2:58am
post #3 of 42

Just finished a baby shower cake for tomorrow. Now the girls are doing their own baking with the easy bake oven. Contemplating on what to do first for the wedding cake that's due tomorrow night. My first one, wish me luck!

leah_s Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 3:00am
post #4 of 42

Good luck!

It's baked and settled, right?

Debs71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debs71 Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 3:02am
post #5 of 42

Evening!

I'm working on a WASC cake with ganache filling, chocolate mocha frosting and chocolate covered strawberries on top.

Also just baked some chocolate cupcakes. To be decorated tomorrow with fondant & chocolate monogram. Demo's for a friends wedding.

Sounds like you've got a full plate tonight, Leah.

Deb

procrastibaker Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 3:07am
post #6 of 42

No, I am going to bake them first thing in the morning. I do not need them until tomorrow night. What does settling do?

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 3:11am
post #7 of 42

Wow, that's a lot of baking to do tomorrow morning...unless it's a small cake or a big oven icon_biggrin.gif

Settling lets the gasses out of the cake so that it won't do weird things under your frosting...like air bubbles or wrinkled fondant. I'm sure there's a better description coming soon from someone less tired than me icon_biggrin.gif

leah_s Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 3:15am
post #8 of 42

What Texas said. Cakes need to settle for twelve hours, or if using my ceramic tile trick, at least three. And that's after they're baked, cooled, torted and filled.

Mika, you must be planning an early morning.

Any time I have a cake due, it's finished the night before - or I don't go to bed. So a cake due tomorrow night, would be finished today. And would have been baked probably on Monday and frozen.

But that's just they way I do things.

procrastibaker Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 3:15am
post #9 of 42

Thanks for the info. It is a small cake, so hopefully it won't be too bad. My husband calls me the "procrastibaker".

Debs71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debs71 Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 3:20am
post #10 of 42

Do tell... what's your ceramic tile trick?

procrastibaker Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 3:21am
post #11 of 42

What is the tile trick? I feel bad about baking so early. i really do not have the room in my frig to store a large amount of cake, so I figured it would be ok to bake early in the morning. Now that I have you all's words of enlightenment, I will not do this again. Thanks

leah_s Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 3:22am
post #12 of 42

Torte, fill, wrap in plastic film, then place a ceramic at least as big as the cake on top and let it sit. The ceramic tile is just the right amount of weight. I posted this a month or so ago and other are reporting success. No more bulges.

leah_s Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 3:22am
post #13 of 42

Who wants to buy me a sheeter?

Texas_Rose Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 3:23am
post #14 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by procrastibaker

Thanks for the info. It is a small cake, so hopefully it won't be too bad. My husband calls me the "procrastibaker".

That's cute icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

I used to be up all night baking the night before I needed a cake. Now that I use fondant, I make myself get it all done a day in advance. I know the fondant will keep it fresh and also, if I have some sort of disaster I have time to fix it.

I'm breaking my own rule tonight though...I should be baking a mint chocolate chip cake right now for my daughter's party on Sunday, but I'm going to bed and I'll bake in the morning and decorate in the evening. I had actually baked last night but I tried the Cheesecake Lover's recipe from the gourmet thread, and the darn things stuck all over the pan and crumbled when I took them out. After that I rebaked the 8" layers with a flower nail and they did better, but I didn't have ingredients to redo the others, so the kids decided they wanted mint chocolate chip (yuck).

procrastibaker Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 3:24am
post #15 of 42

Cool. I guess I will be heading to lowes.

procrastibaker Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 3:26am
post #16 of 42

Good night all I have a very early day ahead of me.

stampinron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stampinron Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 3:27am
post #17 of 42

I just finished a baby shower cake and am working on my state fair entry. I made my second ever bow. The first time I used toothpicks in the bow trick. Today I decided to glue my bow loops with candy melts. I am alittle dissapointed that the white showed. Was I just being too messy with it? I like the option of having the whole bow edible and not having to let people worry about toothpicks in their cake.
LL

Bonnell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bonnell Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 3:35am
post #18 of 42

I'm working on a Bible cake w/gumpaste rose. Decided to make several roses to have a few on hand so I just finished making the centers to dry overnight. Cake isn't due until next Friday but has so many elements that I decided to start way early so I don't have to pull an all-nighter the night before it's due. (Just a hobby baker w/a full-time job). I did this cake for the first time a couple weeks ago (Bible, long-stemmed rose, teacup & saucer, eyeglasses and HB note) and was up until 1 AM finishing it and then had to get up at 4:30 AM to go to work. The only thing that got me through the LONG day was all the compliments I recieved on the cake. The co-worker that I made the cake for had everyone in the building coming down to view the cake (she refused to cut it until the next day). I now have 2 orders for the same cake because of that. Whoopee.

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 3:36am
post #19 of 42

stampinron - I glue my bows together with choc. all the time. You do have to be careful not to use too much that's going to show. If possible, I tint my choc. to the same color as the fondant.

Texas_Rose Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 3:38am
post #20 of 42

Stampinron, if you have a little fondant left to make tails on the bow, it will help hide the white chocolate. You can put the tails on the cake to dry, with balls of plastic wrap under part of it to look like it's curving up, then take the plastic wrap out just before the cake is picked up.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 4:03am
post #21 of 42

Just delivered a super cute cake to a very chi chi restaurant. That was cool, I love delivering to a packed house. icon_biggrin.gif

lorijom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorijom Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 4:16am
post #22 of 42

Just finished for the night. Have a 3 tier wedding cake for delivery at 5 pm tomorrow. Have the gumpaste lilies done and cakes are fondanted. Need to stack and decorate in the morning...I'm with Leah I'm usually done the night before but these just need fondant ribbons and very minimal decoration so I'm breaking my rule tonight. I'm just too tired to keep it up tonight.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 4:24am
post #23 of 42

Let's see, a couple of SMBC. lemon curd, truffle filling filling, some ganache, carmel filling, white chocolate cream cheese butter cream. Nothing but butter cream and fillings. Tomorrow, cakes.

Katiekatiekatie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katiekatiekatie Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 4:35am
post #24 of 42

Please tell me someone is still awake and can help me!!!

I am freaking out. I have a baby shower cake for noon tomorrow yeah I know it should be finished...well my black yes! Black fondant is a bunch of crumbs?? WHY? How can I fix this?

TIA
Katie

jenng1482 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenng1482 Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 4:38am
post #25 of 42

prep work: tomorrow i fondant and decorate a belly cake for a baby shower (need it by 1pm)
then more baking: working on 30 8" table cakes for next saturday and a 3 tier main cake! what in the world did i get myslf into??

Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 4:39am
post #26 of 42

Did you make your own fondant or did you buy pre-made

Molly

Katiekatiekatie Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 4:41am
post #27 of 42

I did 30 mini cakes ONCE! It was about as close to awful as it gets!

ANYONE... have any advice on this black fondant?
Its marshmallow and I made it yesterday so it could rest...

I am in a panic!

Katie

Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 4:45am
post #28 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiekatiekatie

I did 30 mini cakes ONCE! It was about as close to awful as it gets!

ANYONE... have any advice on this black fondant?
Its marshmallow and I made it yesterday so it could rest...

I am in a panic!

Katie

e

Maybe you need to work a little crisco into it

Molly

Katiekatiekatie Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 4:48am
post #29 of 42

I am going back and forth between this and the fondant...
Trying the crisco!

leah_s Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 4:51am
post #30 of 42

Is the veg shortening working? That's all I could think of. But I don't use MMF.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%