Jelly Roll Pan For Sheet Cake?

Decorating By DefyGravity Updated 21 Mar 2013 , 11:28pm by mrsgreshcakes

DefyGravity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DefyGravity Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 2:32am
post #1 of 12

My dad asked me if I could make him two sheetcakes, about the size of a jelly roll pan each. I've seen it done on the Food Network, but I haven't used it and I don't have much notice (I was asked about an hour ago and he wants it Thursday morning!)

I usually bake at 325, how long would I need to bake it? I'm really scared of overbaking.

Thanks for your help icon_smile.gif

11 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 2:36am
post #2 of 12

considering I'm a looks right, smells right, feels right (the bounce back) and toothpick comes out clean type of baker...

I'd guess due to the thinness that it would be about 1/2 the time max or less that a normal layer would take.

the first one may have to be a trial run -- like the first crepe usually is. icon_rolleyes.gif

bamberc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bamberc Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 2:37am
post #3 of 12

The last time that I tried to do this-which is the only time I've ever tried it-it was a big, fat disaster. I don't know if it is the recipe that I use-which wouldn't make too much sense, because it is a very dense, sturdy cake-or what, but whenever I tried to "flip" it out onto the cooling rack it completely fell apart. I wish I had some advice for you, but hopefully someone will know how to make it work.

1nanette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1nanette Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 3:09am
post #4 of 12

I bake mine at 340 for about 20 min. However, it depends on what kind of cake you are baking. Look at it, touch it, to check for doneness. You will know when cake is done. Line your pan on the bottom with parchmnet to avoid sticking. Spray with non stick spray and line your pan with parchment to prevent sticking. I started using the cookie sheets 10 years agofor 1/2 sheet cakes and never went back to the 2" other pan.

Gingoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingoodies Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 2:18pm
post #5 of 12

When I use this type of pan, I line it with parchment paper. I make sure the parchment extends up and out of at least one of the long sides of the pan. When the cake is done, which for me takes about 20 mins. max, I use the extended piece of the parchment to "pull" the cake out of the pan and onto a cooling rack. I do not flip it over! Leave the cake on the parchment to cool. It will be easier to handle when cool and you can then flip it over onto your board.

Gingoodies Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 2:21pm
post #6 of 12

When I use this type of pan, I line it with parchment paper. I make sure the parchment extends up and out of at least one of the long sides of the pan. When the cake is done, which for me takes about 20 mins. max, I use the extended piece of the parchment to "pull" the cake out of the pan and onto a cooling rack. I do not flip it over! Leave the cake on the parchment to cool. It will be easier to handle when cool and you can then flip it over onto your board.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 2:34pm
post #7 of 12

It sounds similar to baking a pumpkin roll so looking up a recipe for that may help. When I make pumpkin rolls, I think they bake for 15-20 minutes. I line the sheet with parchment or waxed paper, leaving extra hanging over the ends. I flip them out onto a confectioner's sugar covered clean towel when I take them out of the oven. However, these are meant to be thin and they get rolled immediately and put in the fridge to cool.

By the way: the parchment or waxed paper always smells funky while baking.

Gingoodies Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 2:44pm
post #8 of 12

DefyGravity, Does your dad really want thin cakes? Or are you going to layer them? Just curious.

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 2:57pm
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefyGravity

My dad asked me if I could make him two sheetcakes, about the size of a jelly roll pan each. I've seen it done on the Food Network, but I haven't used it and I don't have much notice (I was asked about an hour ago and he wants it Thursday morning!)

I usually bake at 325, how long would I need to bake it? I'm really scared of overbaking.

Thanks for your help icon_smile.gif

I would assume you are layering these with filling for height? Each pan will take about 20 minutes to bake. I use them for petit fours and usually bake them around 335-340 degrees so the edges don't crisp. I line the bottom with parchment as well.

gingoodies: I love the idea of extending the parchment paper for a slide vs. a flip!

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 3:22pm
post #10 of 12

I love thin cakes layered, they have more filling!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

DefyGravity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DefyGravity Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 6:50pm
post #11 of 12

Yes, they will be layered. Thanks for the advice, as always icon_smile.gif

mrsgreshcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsgreshcakes Posted 21 Mar 2013 , 11:28pm
post #12 of 12

Such a great idea!  I never thought of extending the ends of the parchment beyond the pan.  Just had a duh moment ouch.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%