What's The Trick To Making Black Fondant - Black Not Gray?

Decorating By amberkw Updated 18 Aug 2009 , 5:43pm by amberkw

amberkw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amberkw Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 4:14am
post #1 of 13

What's the trick to making black fondant - BLACK not gray? I have used almost a whole jar of black paste.

12 replies
Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 4:29am
post #2 of 13

I usually try to start with brown fondant (chocolate).... it is hard to make large amounts black. If I need a whole tier or more to be black, I try to buy premade black.

Normita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Normita Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 4:35am
post #3 of 13

I heard that americolor works well. I asked that question too, a while ago. I will post the link, hope it helps icon_smile.gif
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-619640-.html

Jan14grands Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jan14grands Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 12:05pm
post #4 of 13

I buy FONDX black fondant, and I have also bought Americolor Super Black.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 12:26pm
post #5 of 13

I start with chocolate fondant then add the black color - works like a charm, and you don't get funky fondant from using too much color.

rainbow_kisses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rainbow_kisses Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 12:40pm
post #6 of 13

depending on how big the black area is i for a small amount buy it ready coloured or for a large area i airbrush it

susanscakecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanscakecreations Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 12:43pm
post #7 of 13

Definitely start with chocolate fondant! Then I use Americolor black.......it's SOOOOOOOO much easier to use than Wilton.......you just have to squeeze out what you need, instead of the 'toothpick' method!
Eazy Peazy!!!!!!!
I LOVE Americolor!!!!!!!!

amberkw Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 2:02pm
post #8 of 13

What recipe do you use for the chocolate fondant? I tried a choc. mm fondant & it was dry & hard to use. It worked & tasted yummy, but not as easy as reg. fondant.

carmenid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmenid Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 2:17pm
post #9 of 13

Does the Americolor Super Black do the trick? and do you have to use the whole bottle to color the fondant? I bought two different shades of Americolor red coloring and while it did a better job than wilton it turned redish / orangy red but never true red.

I buy premade red and black fondant.

CelebrationCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CelebrationCakery Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 2:36pm
post #10 of 13

I was just going to say make it brown first...I see several people are saying to start with Chocolate though...but if you can't start with Chocolate make it brown first and then black...honestly, when it is a small area I have just painted it with the food coloring with a paint brush too, large areas I airbrush with Vokda and black coloring in it or just the airbrush coloring depending on what I have on hand.

susanscakecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanscakecreations Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 3:09pm
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by amberkw

What recipe do you use for the chocolate fondant? I tried a choc. mm fondant & it was dry & hard to use. It worked & tasted yummy, but not as easy as reg. fondant.

This is the recipe I use for chocolate fondant...........easy to make, super easy to work with, and best of all, tastes JUST LIKE a Tootsie Roll!!!!!!
YUM! YOU HAVE TO TRY IT!!!!

Rhond'as Ultimate Chocolate MMF
Serves/Yields:
Prep. Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time:
Category: Pound Cakes, Sponge Cakes, White Cakes, Yellow Cakes, Thanksgiving Cakes, Strawberry Cakes
Difficulty: Easy

Introduction
This is an awesome chocolate mmf that actually tastes chocolate. It's also great for making black because its already dark and you need very little to get it black.
Ingredients
15 oz. mini marshmallows
2 T water
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp lemon juice (fresh or bottled)
2 tsp light corn syrup (helps w/ pliability)
2 tsp vanilla
1/2 to 3/4 C dutch processed (dark) cocoa
6 C confectioner's sugar, sifted
1/2 C Crisco or vegetable shortening

** I have found that I have to use less sugar because of the cocoa.
Directions
Grease microwave proof bowl w/ Crisco. Also grease wooden or heat proof spoon. Pour marshmallows and water into bowl. Microwave for approximately 2 minutes stopping and stirring at 40 second intervals. Mixture should be soupy.

Take out of microwave and immediately add corn syrup, cocoa, lemon juice, salt and extract. Stir well. Sift confectioner's sugar into mixture, one cup at a time. After approximately 5 cups, grease your hands well with Crisco and knead the mixture in the bowl. Add the sixth cup and continue to knead. Now grease your work surface well and turn mixture out of bowl onto counter and knead well. If mixture seems soft, add one additional cup of powdered sugar.

Shape into a mound and put a coating of crisco on outside. Double wrap in cling wrap and insert into ziplock bag. Press air out of bag and seal. Allow to rest overnight, but, can be used after sitting for a few hours.

Hope you like it!

PuffCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PuffCake Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 3:27pm
post #12 of 13

You'll never get black using the paste. The paste also tastes very bitter when used in large amounts. You don't have to make it chocolate if you don't want chocolate flavored fondant. Use Americolor Super Black gel. Squirt a few generous squirts into the bowl of melted marshmallows before adding the powdered sugar. After you add the sugar it will lighten somewhat but within a few hours and definitely overnight Americolor colors deepen dramatically and you will have jet black fondant effortlessly with no bad taste!

amberkw Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 5:43pm
post #13 of 13

Thanks for all the advice & for the recipe, smartin40. I will try it! Do y'all do a mix of fondant/gumpaste for your fondant decorations/sculptures? How long do you let your figures/sculptures set before putting on your cake? ... I'm such an amatuer.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%