Free Rein On The Cakes I Make?

Decorating By Justbeck101 Updated 11 Aug 2009 , 12:14am by BeeBoos-8599_

Justbeck101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Justbeck101 Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 11:42pm
post #1 of 5

I am not sure how to explain this but I would like to charge for my cakes in a different kind of way. I want it to cover my costs of course, but I also want to be able to just make what I want to make and what the customer wants! I mean, I dont want to have to worry that I cant do this or that because the customer did not pay for it. I just want to make it the way I want to make it in my minds eye. I guess have a little more free rein. I just dont know how to go about getting that free rein. The customer always gets more out of it when they let me do this.

Anyone else do something like this?

4 replies
percussiongrrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
percussiongrrl Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 11:48pm
post #2 of 5

I'm not a pro, so i have no idea...but my thought is just having a flat "per serving" rate that would cover whatever the cake became during the process. I'm sure some cakes would turn more profit than others based on this, but then you could have more creative license with your cakes. I'm betting it could really take off for you once word of mouth spread about how awesome and creative your cakes were. I am not sure how you would work that creative license into a contract though?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 11:51pm
post #3 of 5

This may not be exactly what you're looking for but maybe it will give you some ideas.

When I do a brand new design, I tell the bride "If you let me experiement on you with this design I'll give you the Prototype Price. That means I'll charge you the flat rate, no upcharges. I get to to try a new design and you get an above-and-beyond cake for a cheaper price." I then tell them that once I see what's involved and how long it takes me, "..... I guarantee no other bride will get it for the price YOU'RE paying!" So far, they've all loved the idea of getting an upgraded cake "for free" (i.e. free as far as the upgrades, I mean).

Justbeck101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Justbeck101 Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 11:54pm
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

This may not be exactly what you're looking for but maybe it will give you some ideas.

When I do a brand new design, I tell the bride "If you let me experiement on you with this design I'll give you the Prototype Price. That means I'll charge you the flat rate, no upcharges. I get to to try a new design and you get an above-and-beyond cake for a cheaper price." I then tell them that once I see what's involved and how long it takes me, "..... I guarantee no other bride will get it for the price YOU'RE paying!" So far, they've all loved the idea of getting an upgraded cake "for free" (i.e. free as far as the upgrades, I mean).

That sounds a bit like what I am looking for, just on all the cakes!
Thanks!!

BeeBoos-8599_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 12:14am
post #5 of 5

I just think that if you stick to the theme and include any requests you will have good luck the majority of the time.

I do caution you though, there is allways that one person who wants just what they asked for and nothing more. I had a lady ask for a pink grad cake with pink roses and that is all she gave me for direction. When I added small white blossoms to off set the pink she went nuts and told me she and her daughter hated it.

So just be sure you get the expectations on both ends clear from the start.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%