The Caterer Didn't Serve 60% Of The Cake!! (Long!)

Decorating By cherrycakes Updated 22 Sep 2009 , 4:23pm by indydebi

cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 4:51pm
post #1 of 42

I have been trying to brush this off but I thought I would check with all of you to see if I should encourage my friend to mention this to the caterers. I made my first wedding cake for my friend's son and the reception was held at our church. As it was a German wedding, many of the omas (Grandmas) and aunts brought cheesecakes and tortes as well as having the wedding cake (6, 10, 14 inch square) for the dessert. The caterers started cutting the cake after they brought out all of the other desserts so everyone was loading their plates up before the cake even came out. When it did, it was cut into 1" x 1" x 4" servings, all piled very unapplealingly on a large platter, making it very hard to get a nice looking serving. The caterers were also so much in a rush to get out of the church that they only brought out two platters of cake. After they were gone, I peaked into the cooler at the church and saw that 1/4 of the 10" was left as well as the 14" which was left completely untouched! Then yesterday at church I heard that some of the guests didn't think there was enough cake! Augh!! So, should I encourage my friend (who hired them as the brides' family was from out of town) to at least mention the situation to them? I just feel bad for my friend who has so much cake to deal with now!

41 replies
idgalpal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idgalpal Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 6:08pm
post #2 of 42

I'd have her mention it and inquire why.

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 6:09pm
post #3 of 42

That sucks!

That is so totally sloppily done by the caterer. I would definately say something.

janebrophy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janebrophy Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 6:19pm
post #4 of 42

Messy Job! Sounds like they just wanted to get out of there in a hurry. I'd definitely mention it!

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 6:38pm
post #5 of 42

People always think that if there are other desserts that people don't want cake. This is not true.

I would have her mention it and ask why this happened. I don't think she can get money back but it would be good to notify the boss if this was not the boss.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 8:06pm
post #6 of 42

I would definetly have her mention it. More so, cause they didn't serve the pieces on individual plates and served them on a platter. How tacky! ;-t

3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 8:27pm
post #7 of 42

The caterers at my sister's wedding totally butchered the cake. No nice, neat pieces. Just chop-chop, plate plate.

I think they were inexperienced and or had to wait too long to cut the cate. I saw some pieces that were almost total icing and some that were slivers, others were hunks.

They need to know what is "expected" of a cake cutting, and if they can't adapt, they need to let someone else do the cutting. Especially if they are charging for it.

cherrycakes Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 8:45pm
post #8 of 42

Thanks everyone for validating my feelings. I think what really ticks me off is that I spent a long time finding the right cake and icing combo and I even made a 6 inch cake for the bride-to-be to taste and share with her family. She raved about it and even commented how good it was going to taste when she publicly thanked me at the reception before they cut into it. And then, hardly anyone got to taste it, and those who did probably didn't even realize it was the wedding cake!! Oh well, there's nothing I can do about it at this point!! Thanks for letting me vent!!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 11:21pm
post #9 of 42

On a cake that I'm just dropping off, I ask the couple "who is cutting the cake?" If it's a family member, I direct them to my How to Cut A Wedding Cake page to show them how it's suppose to be done.

If they tell me a caterer is cutting it, I first ask them, "Does the caterer know that?" (because too many people pull the "Oh the caterer does that!" assumption on everything from cake cutting to shoe polishing!). If it's a caterer I'm not familiar with, I suggest to the bride to find out if they know how to cut a cake. Not all caterers know how to do it as evidenced by THIS one, who cut them in dinky little 1x1" slivers. (What is that, about the size of a single Twix candy bar?)

This story is also a good example of why I question the reason a cake is taken to the back and cut "in secret". I cut my cakes right out in the open. People LUV to watch a cake being cut. (I got a fabulous compliment from a woman this past weekend who told me she just enjoyed watching me cut the cake and added, "I told my husband, 'you can tell she knows what she's doing'!")

If this cake had been cut in the open, someone would have seen the cake being placed on platters instead of cake plates (was this covered during the catering consultation?) and the guests would have seen lots of uncut cake sitting there and perhaps eaten more. If all they see is a platter of what looks like leftover cake, some may think "Oh they're running low" or "Oh, they're out of cake" when in reality there is plenty in the back.

But then again ... with all the other desserts, it IS possible the guests filled up on other stuff and just chose not to eat cake.

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 12:24am
post #10 of 42

For my daughter's wedding, we had a cookie buffet and the cake. So many people brought cookies, that by the time they got around to cutting the cake, everyone was full!! I took part of the large tier home, the WHOLE middle tier went to church the next morning, and the top tier went with daughter and SIL (who ate it all up, then realized it was the one they meant to save!) (I delivered a 1st ann. cake to them yesterday!!!)

gembaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gembaker Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 7:49pm
post #11 of 42

If I am attending the wedding and I have made the cake I offer strongly to cut the cake myself. It is easy to learn how to cut a wedding cake and keep it beautiful. Do not cut like many books show and you end up with a tall tower in the middle but go straight across the back of the cake only cut 1/2 way and not all the way across. You need an assistant to hold the plates for you and you use a knife in one hand and the spatula in the other hand. I cut with knife in my right hand starting from the left side of the layer. You cut and place the cake piece against the spatula as you pick up the piece using both utensils and place neatly on the plate that your assistant is holding. You use a napkin or paper towel to wipe off the knife between cuts. You never touch the cake with your hands. (you can wear gloves if you want). As you cut the cake you place the decorations attractively on the rest of the cake to keep it looking nice. I have had caterers watch me and compliment me. It is not hard to learn. Practice on birthday cakes at home. I would not allow the caterers to remove a cake to the kitchen as moving a set up cake can result in a worse disaster of having the cake fall over.

cherrycakes Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 8:06pm
post #12 of 42

I guess I should have offered to cut and serve the cake. I didn't because I was invited and my husband and I did the music for the ceremony so I was ready to just relax! It was also mentioned a few times that I made the cake and as everyone at the wedding knew me, I felt that I would feel conspicuous if I made the cake and also served it. Oh well, live and learn!

indydebi Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 8:08pm
post #13 of 42

gembaker, that's a great description and it's pretty much the way I do it. Having a helper is a great asset, but I can also do a cake alone. I just fan the plates out on the table, then using the cake comb, move the cut pieces of cake to the plates.

With my method of cutting, I can cut a 200 serving cake in about 15 minutes.

And I'm with you .... I don't believe in "sneaking" a cake into the back room for cutting.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 8:59pm
post #14 of 42

I'm glad this came up, I have a wedding cake I'm doing for a coworker's daughter in September and I'm offering to cut the cake for her -- exactly what time is the best time to cut the cake, right before dinner is served so I can be cutting while they are eating? Or right after they eat dinner so it can be served for dessert?

indydebi Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 9:13pm
post #15 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

I'm glad this came up, I have a wedding cake I'm doing for a coworker's daughter in September and I'm offering to cut the cake for her -- exactly what time is the best time to cut the cake, right before dinner is served so I can be cutting while they are eating? Or right after they eat dinner so it can be served for dessert?

Here's my blog entry on this topic. Feel free to refer your brides to this when the question comes up.

I do it this way because the wedding cake is usually the dessert and it should be served at the end of the MEAL, not at the end of the NIGHT.

http://cateritsimple.blogspot.com/search/label/cake-cutting

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 9:18pm
post #16 of 42

Holy cow Debi.....you are one wordy gal! icon_biggrin.gif

RuthWells Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RuthWells Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 9:51pm
post #17 of 42

At my wedding (19 years ago, now), my mother made my cake and we had the restaurant serve it. They sliced it in the back, and brought it out with each slice in a little waxed paper bag, presumably for the guest to bring home with them?! Needless to say, it was not what we expected and we were given no clue as to their procedures.

(The cake was served after a dessert course.)

Baffling.

indydebi Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 10:33pm
post #18 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by __Jamie__

Holy cow Debi.....you are one wordy gal! icon_biggrin.gif

Oh I just think E-E-E-E-VERYONE is entitled to my opinion! icon_lol.gif

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 10:33pm
post #19 of 42

Lol!

lthiele Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lthiele Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 2:59am
post #20 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

[Oh I just think E-E-E-E-VERYONE is entitled to my opinion! icon_lol.gif

Of course and we love it! I read every word of that blog! Is it too much to ask if you have a link to the page about how to cut the cake. I have a pretty good idea, but would love to read it from cake Yoda! lol icon_lol.gificon_surprised.gif

indydebi Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 3:06am
post #21 of 42

http://www.cateritsimple.com/id10.html
How to Cut a Wedding Cake

lthiele Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lthiele Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 3:42am
post #22 of 42

Awesome thank you! I didn't know to cut the end bit in 2 - always learning!

janetrie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janetrie Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 7:28pm
post #23 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuthWells

At my wedding (19 years ago, now), my mother made my cake and we had the restaurant serve it. They sliced it in the back, and brought it out with each slice in a little waxed paper bag, presumably for the guest to bring home with them?! Needless to say, it was not what we expected and we were given no clue as to their procedures.

Baffling.

In some areas, it's tradition to take home a slice of the wedding cake and put it under your pillow when you sleep. It is supposed to make you dream of your true love.

indydebi Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 7:36pm
post #24 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by janetrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuthWells

Baffling.

In some areas, it's tradition to take home a slice of the wedding cake and put it under your pillow when you sleep. It is supposed to make you dream of your true love.

This was back in the day when the bride's cake was a fruitcake .... a concoction that would hold up when being slept on! icon_lol.gif

janetrie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janetrie Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 7:51pm
post #25 of 42
Quote:
Quote:

This was back in the day when the bride's cake was a fruitcake .... a concoction that would hold up when being slept on!

It's still around, though. I've been to weddings where there were little boxes or bags to take slices of cake home in for this reason. Maybe it was just a trend in the pocket of Appalachia where I lived.

indydebi Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 8:18pm
post #26 of 42

That's pretty cool. Sometimes I provide the wax-lined cake bags in case someone wants to take a leftover piece home. When I cut the cake and everyone has been served, I always leave a few extra pieces out on plates for those who want seconds. I leave the wax-bags for those who want seconds, but they want to take it home, or maybe take it to someone who couldn't make it to the wedding.

tammyanderson6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tammyanderson6 Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 1:10am
post #27 of 42

As a legal bakery and catering company, I know it seems mean but the caterer was not hired to cut the cake...they may do it as a favor for free. The cake is the families responsibility unless it is specifically mentioned in the contract. The size slice you describe is in fact the correct size according to Wilton's cake cutting guide which is the prime doctrine used to calculate servings per layer. I know this seems mean and unfair but the caterer is not responsible for the cake...they cut it as a favor to the family, so back off and accept the gift for what it was...a gift. They recieved no payment for this service I assure you.

tammyanderson6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tammyanderson6 Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 1:10am
post #28 of 42

As a legal bakery and catering company, I know it seems mean but the caterer was not hired to cut the cake...they may do it as a favor for free. The cake is the families responsibility unless it is specifically mentioned in the contract. The size slice you describe is in fact the correct size according to Wilton's cake cutting guide which is the prime doctrine used to calculate servings per layer. I know this seems mean and unfair but the caterer is not responsible for the cake...they cut it as a favor to the family, so back off and accept the gift for what it was...a gift. They recieved no payment for this service I assure you.

emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 2:01am
post #29 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by tammyanderson6

If the caterer did cut the cake as a gift, that was very kind as well as above and beyond. But I think the biggest issue the OP had was the timing of the cake cutting (while guests were getting other desserts) as well as the presentation of the slices.

Even if the service was as a gift, one would expect the caterer to perform the job in the same manner as if it were paid. Otherwise, it was more a begrudging favor than a gift. And if that is how the caterer performs the service for a fee, I would be disappointed.

Also, might I correct you on one point? According to: http://www.wilton.com/cakes/cake-cutting-guides/wedding-cake-cutting-guide.cfm, their slice sizes are 1 in x 2 in x 2 layers (or 4 in) high. Not 1 x 1 x 4. Moot at this point, I know.

*Chucks two pennies into the foray*

cherrycakes Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 2:04am
post #30 of 42

Well, if it was truly a "gift" that they served the cake, I think it would have at least been considerate of them to notify the MOG when they were leaving that the bulk of the cake was left in the fridge. She really had no idea during the reception that there was so much cake left over and that not everyone actually got a piece of the cake. In hind sight, I really should have taken over the responsibility when I saw what was happening, but I didn't think it was my place.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%