Frozen Cake, Thawed. Can U Freeze Again????

Decorating By noosie Updated 10 Aug 2009 , 5:41pm by pursuing_perfection

noosie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noosie Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 12:03am
post #1 of 6

Hey guys! I asked about freezing cakes in a previous forum and got some great tips. Here is my new dilemma. I've baked the cakes and froze them today but need to transport them on Tues. for a 4-5 hour trip. I plan to put them in cooler with ice but I am worried they will thaw during the trip. If they do thaw can I refreeze them once I arrive at my destination???? I will be using them on Friday to make a cake for Saturday afternoon.

Any help, tips, advice will be more than appreciated!!!!

Really stressing icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

TIA

5 replies
cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 1:50am
post #2 of 6

I've never done it before - but I can't imagine that it would bother it too much. And really if you stop and get some more ice along the way, they might not thaw as much as you think they will.

Alery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alery Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 5:16pm
post #3 of 6

As long as it doesn't thaw all the way you might be fine, others would know better than me. I just know that I have refroze a previously frozen and completely thawed (for a couple hours) cake before and it came out stale.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 5:19pm
post #4 of 6

refreezing does bad things to the texture (generally - maybe some cakes do better than others).
in the uk, supermarkets have a rule of a max 30 minutes for frozen food sitting out the freezer - then it has started to defrost, the quality is affected, and im sure bacteria come into it too.
most akes would be fine sitting out for 4 days, properly covered, so it might be better doing that.
xx

newnancy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newnancy Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 5:26pm
post #5 of 6

Have you thought of using dry ice? I took an ice cream sandwich cake to a picnic in July (probably in the mid 90's) and it was so hard 5 hours later that it was tough to even cut.

pursuing_perfection Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pursuing_perfection Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 5:41pm
post #6 of 6

I have frozen cakes, decorated them and then frozen them again. I have not found it to negatively affect the taste of the cake. If anything, the cake seems to be more moist.

If this is a "paying" job, then double-check food regulations. If not, then stop stressing - it should be fine! (Especially since it is not decorated yet).

If you are really concerned, then put the cake(s) into Tupperware (or other leak-proof containers) and pack ice all around and over them. The less air pockets the better. If you do not have a cooler big enough, use a large Rubbermaid Tote, and wrap it in a heavy blanket or two after you've packed the cakes and ice.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%