Greasy Cake

Decorating By sexysue Updated 10 Aug 2009 , 6:51am by sexysue

sexysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sexysue Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 10:44am
post #1 of 5

i made a cake and it came out very greasy to touch and was very moist it was cooked as i put a knife through it and it came out clean i have made several cakes and only one came out like this, what did i do different all ingredients were the same except margarine that was a cheaper one than normal im confused.

4 replies
Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 11:39am
post #2 of 5

That's strange. My bet would be if all the others were ok, and then you changed margarines, that would be the culprit. The one thing about margarine is that it has a high water percentage compared to butter and the different %'s do different things to food.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 9:47pm
post #3 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malakin

That's strange. The one thing about margarine is that it has a high water percentage compared to butter and the different %'s do different things to food.

Margarine was developed as a cheap substitute for butter.
Both butter and margarine are approximately 80% fat and 20% water:

http://www.ochef.com/864.htm

HTH

Kelrak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kelrak Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 10:10pm
post #4 of 5

Make sure not to confuse "spread" like country crock for margarine. It usually has a higher water content and usually says "not suitable for baking" on the label.

sexysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sexysue Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 6:51am
post #5 of 5

yeh i thought it might have been that i was rackin my brains and worse thing of all it was a cake i took into college how embarrassing i asked the tutor but he said he didnt know he wasnt very helpful hes a fireman by day says it all really.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%