Decorating By notjustcakes Updated 9 Aug 2009 , 12:30am by LaBellaFlor

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 7:39pm
post #31 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly

It sounds like this woman feels like you "owed" them this service....her husband represented you guys free of charge, now she probably expects you to bake for free for the rest of your life.....because after all "it's just cake", which is worth so much less then legal services.

hmmm.... very perceptive. wouldn't be at all surprised if you are correct.

I agree. How unfortunate.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 7:50pm
post #32 of 41

Deb, that was a good one! And how tragic that it is probably true. icon_sad.gif

notjustcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcakes Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 9:25pm
post #33 of 41

Well, I did get the practice. They were my first wedding cakes....I'm done doing freebees... Because when things like this happen I feel doubly put out...BTW never ever do a square cake...

hellie0h Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hellie0h Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 9:52pm
post #34 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by notjustcakes

dailey- It was because she was so dismissive....She couldn't even bother to roll the window down and say "Hey the cake looks great" or Thanks for doing this for us. We'll talk soon...See ya later" Also it is a huge no no to embarrass or emasculate a man in public. It sort of demeans them IMHO. Not that I have never said anything icky to my husband in public....I've said a few things I wished I could have taken back...so I won't judge you.

I gotta ask this....is this the main reason you are upset, that the MOB yelled out the window at HER HUSBAND about being late and (your words)embarrassed and demeaned him in your presence?
I would imagine, unless this lady was born and raised in a cave, you will receive a proper and gracious thank you within the normal time frame for sending out thank you cards.
Last few words, when I am running late for something very important, the stress level is over the top and would not take much for me to blow...cut the lady a little slack in this circumstance, wait and see if she does the right thing and shows her appreciation for your very generous act of kindness. JMHO.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 10:16pm
post #35 of 41

I think it was especially awkward because her husband was opening the door, unlocking the door for the cake delivery. Our op told them she needed some delivery assistance of some kind because she had another big cake that weekend.

She got slimed for it. Maybe it was peripheral spray from what was aimed at hubby but the lady wasn't cool by a long shot.

She was making sure the caker knew that the delivery of the free cake was making her late and she skewered her own husband to do it.

I got not one warm & fuzzy for the chick.

notjustcakes Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 10:26pm
post #36 of 41

No. That's between husband and wife...I was not upset about that...What really got me is that I explained in advance and we discussed it at length several times that logistically this was a huge challenge because of refrigerator space, etc. and that they would have to do some stuff themselves, like p/u the cupcakes from church kitchen, p/u cake from my kitchen, etc. Also, that her husband was going to have to open up the church kitchen for me so I could get to the other wedding cake I was doing for my best friend. I know it seems confusing, but I had been over and over in my head with how I could complete this. When I talked to her the morning of the wedding, she got snippy and when I said that the cupcakes were at the church, she seemed all of a sudden confused. When she came to get the cake at my house she was visibly irritated. Then later when her husband had open the kitchen (BTW they had to be at the church anyway for the wedding so IMO this was not such an inconvenience to just onlock the D*** door) which is where the shouting incident occured....I know, I guess I'm just being sensitive.

notjustcakes Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 11:22pm
post #37 of 41

Okay ya'll...I just got an emaill last night and all it said was, "See attached. Thank you for a wonderful cake and cupcakes. L & J" This is the killer...The pics they sent are so........UGLY...They took the pics of the cake in the walk in refrig. of the venue!!!!!!!!!!What does that say...My cake isn't even worthy of a picture at the reception table....I'm beginning to wonder...The pics are blurry and sort of discolored. poor light from being in a dark fridge..I am so offended. I don't even want to post the pics here so fellow CCr's can see them....I'm also starting to think that brides think there cakes are going to flawless..They are food!@!!! yes they need to be presentable, straight, and thoughtful. This bride wanted " simple random scrolls, with offset ivory square cakes, marbled cake with almond heavy cream filling with a matching apple red ribbon (which she provided so there would be no question on color)...Put a bit of bling on there randomly (dragees)" The only thing I refuse to do is give her a whipped cream frosting because it was 100 degrees outside and humid as can be. I flat out told her, the frosting will slide down the cake...Do whipped cream filling instead..Arg....maybe I'm just not cut out for this!!!!!!!!!! Whatever...I should not have forgotten to take the pictures...that is my fault. thanks for letting me vent.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 11:35pm
post #38 of 41

ah...camera phones strike again it sounds like! (great for phone directory photo and that's about it!) doubt those photos were the work of the wedding photographer but friends/family of bride and groom. Considering you description of the cake, this was probably the only time they had to grab a photo as doubt once the part was in full swing they were even paying attention to their phones.

see if you can't get a good pic from the wedding photographer -- sure this person took at least one (cutting the cake). It's too soon for them to have access to the pro's photos yet -- that could take a week or more.

(and many photographers will NOT make digital copies available to the bride and groom in order to protect profit - but WILL share with fellow business -- esp. if you do a referral back to them!)

notjustcakes Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 11:37pm
post #39 of 41

okay deep breath...I don't use a camera phone so I have no frame of reference....Geez!

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 11:42pm
post #40 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by notjustcakes

okay deep breath...I don't use a camera phone so I have no frame of reference....Geez!

one of the MOST overhyped gadgets!

let's see - tiny fixed lens (classic point and shoot)

digital zoom -- WORST kind

simple electronics -- color correction? what's that?

lens "protected" by a plastic window that all to often is smudged and even scratched (think a very dirty pair of eye glasses)

hard to hold - no tripod - shows every shake of the hand (image stabilization? nope)

----

similar dilemma to caking -- gee I only need a box of cake mix and a can of frosting and wow I can make me a cake!

cameras so easy to use that everyone things they can make great "art", not realizing the photos that take our breath away, that win the Pulitzer Prize in Photography are carefully crafted by exceptionally skilled, trained, and talented people

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 12:30am
post #41 of 41

SOOO TRUE! I love our special occassions photographer. He is a TRUE artist.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%