Chocolate Chips Falling To Bottom

Baking By Cassie6140 Updated 5 Nov 2012 , 10:08pm by ktugg91

Cassie6140 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cassie6140 Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 2:41pm
post #1 of 12

I'm desperate, there has to be help out here somewhere. I've switched from regular sized chocolate chips to the minis when I make my chocolate chip cake. I sprinkle flour on them before I add them to the batter. (I swirl them into the batter) then bake. When the cake is removed from the pan, the chips are all on the bottom. What am I doing wrong? Please help, I'm at my wit's end. TIA

11 replies
brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 3:52pm
post #2 of 12

it might be your cake batter - i believe a thicker batter is better, as it stops the chips from sinking so fast.
xx

Cassie6140 Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 11:30pm
post #3 of 12

Hmmn, that sounds logical doesn't it? Thanks for your response.

flourpowerMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flourpowerMN Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 12:41am
post #4 of 12

I agree...sounds like a batter issue. I usually have the opposite problem...regular size chips sink for me but the mini's work great. Hope you get it figured out! icon_smile.gif

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 12:31pm
post #5 of 12

Instead of flour, I put about a teaspoon of cocoa in a baggie and shake my choc. chips in the cocoa.

Cassie6140 Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 1:41pm
post #6 of 12

Thanks for the input. I'm anxious to try the cake again and see what happens.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 2:13pm
post #7 of 12

Instead of swirling them in, just sprinkle them on the top and see if they disperse evenly by themselves. By mixing them in, they've already completed half the journey to the bottom. icon_smile.gif

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 6:15pm
post #8 of 12

Try mixing a few in the batter and then sprinkle some on top until it sinks.

Cassie6140 Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 7:47pm
post #9 of 12

I did try not putting any in the batter and just sprinkling on top and that's just where they stayed - on top - go figure. I put them on top and they don't travel AT ALL. I'm going to try putting just the few in the batter and then putting them on top and maybe swirling. I thank you all for your input. Also, my husband caught a few minutes of Ina on the Food Network and she was using "bar" chocolate shaved. She said the reason was because chips fall. I guess I should try that also. I appreciate everyone trying to help with my dilemma.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 8:06pm
post #10 of 12

Well good luck on that one.

Cassie6140 Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 6:25pm
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassie6140

I did try not putting any in the batter and just sprinkling on top and that's just where they stayed - on top - go figure. I put them on top and they don't travel AT ALL. I'm going to try putting just the few in the batter and then putting them on top and maybe swirling. I thank you all for your input. Also, my husband caught a few minutes of Ina on the Food Network and she was using "bar" chocolate shaved. She said the reason was because chips fall. I guess I should try that also. I appreciate everyone trying to help with my dilemma.

OK, shaved chocolate worked perfectly. The chocolate shavings were all throughout the cake. Only issue was shaving the chocolate; it was time consuming compared to just "dumping" chips into the batter. But, I guess this will be my method from now on. Wanted to let you guys know how it worked out.

ktugg91 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ktugg91 Posted 5 Nov 2012 , 10:08pm
post #12 of 12

I'm not sure if you check this anymore or if you figured out the issue, but I just made a cake for my sister and all the chocolate chips fell to the bottom for the first time. I lost the recipe and had to "wing it" and made what I think was a dire mistake- I used cooked instead of instant pudding in my recipe. I'm not sure if you use pudding in yours, but I think either adding instant chocolate pudding may make the batter thicker. Also sour cream, and finally butter instead of oil. Those are all things that might make it a thicker batter- difficult to say since I don't know your recipe. Hope this helps.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%