Help Cake Keeps Falling

Decorating By cas60 Updated 6 Aug 2009 , 4:04pm by maam1993

cas60 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cas60 Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 5:21pm
post #1 of 17

Help

I just made 2 batches of the chocolate sour cream wedding cake and both cakes did not rise does anyone know what might be happening or what i might be doing wrong. I've made these before without any problem and THese are for this weekend for a wedding

16 replies
JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 6:06pm
post #2 of 17

What recipe did you use??

Jodie

cas60 Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 6:14pm
post #3 of 17

I used the white almond sour cream wedding cake receipe. I used 2 boxes of chocolate cake mix, 2 cups of sour cream, 6 whole eggs, vanilla, 2 cups of surgar, 2 cups of floour, salt, and 1/4 cup of oil and 2 2/3 cups of water

cakenutz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakenutz Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 6:24pm
post #4 of 17

Thats the recipe I use (making it right now) and have never had a problem all I can think of was your oven hot enough when you put them in? I'd have to think on this one cause thats a pretty foolproof cake

cas60 Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 6:28pm
post #5 of 17

I agree, it's a great recipe. I just made 8 layers of the white version without a problem.. I also use the bake eve strips around the pan and a flower nail in the middle to make sure it bakes even since it's a large cake (14 inch pan). Does anyone else have any ideas ? I'm baking at 325

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 6:30pm
post #6 of 17

How old is your cake mix? I check Best Used By dates carefully, especially when the cake mix is on sale, as they are often trying to move out old stuff. If the mix is old, the leavening agents can be to blame. (I made very flat, hard, bisquick biscuits once because I didn't check the date on the box!!)

G_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
G_Cakes Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 6:31pm
post #7 of 17

Just a thought could the cake mix you used to add to the recipe have been old or stale?

Had this happen once before and bought the mixes on sale not realizing that they were all stale.

Not sure if thats the problem, but hope this helps icon_smile.gif

cas60 Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 6:39pm
post #8 of 17

my mixes all are good till 2010

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 6:42pm
post #9 of 17

I don't know if this would help you or not, but I was having trouble with my scratch choc. cake falling in the center. I moved my oven rack down 1 notch and it helped the problem.

pouchet82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pouchet82 Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 6:58pm
post #10 of 17

Are you opening the oven during baking? If you are, it can cause your cake to sink in the middle

JoJo0855 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoJo0855 Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 6:59pm
post #11 of 17

I'd check the oven temperature ... the readout is not always accurate. Also, is 1 flower nail enough for a 14" cake?

lisa5573 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisa5573 Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 7:01pm
post #12 of 17

I know this is a different recipe, but I like to use boxes cake mix and just add sour cream to the batter. I use the Pilsbury mix (it has pudding in it) and I follow the box directions and add one cup of sour cream per box mix. I always have a lot of problems with scratch cake. The way I use the mix above always turns out moist and I get a lot of compliments.

cas60 Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 7:10pm
post #13 of 17

I've never used anything more than 1 flower nail, but that's a possibility. I have another cake in the oven, so I'll see how this one goes. I'm trying new eggs - even though I used the same eggs I just made the white cakes with, but they use egg whites only - I'm grasping at straws ! I made the same cake a week ago, without any problem at all, using large sheet cake pans.

sammie192 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sammie192 Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 7:12pm
post #14 of 17

my chocolate cake do the same thing as yours cas60 I can't use duncan hines it alway fall. I have to use betty c. or pillsbury for the wasc recipe. I also bake at 325 check add a nail, dates on box, try not open oven to soon and it still falls. still taste good just can't work with it.

JoJo0855 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoJo0855 Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 7:17pm
post #15 of 17

Ooh, just had another thought ... sometimes doubling a recipe is not always wise. Is doubling the WASC a common thing?

cas60 Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 2:48pm
post #16 of 17

thanks for all the help. I tried everything, and eventually had to bring all my ingredients and mixers to another house to bake. The cakes came out better, but I'm not thrilled with the chocolate. I always use duncan hines, so maybe that's the problem. But I"ve used it in the past with the same recipe and never had a problem. I ended up baking all the cakes (including the white ones) over. I had an appliance repair man come to check my oven and he said it was running almost 20 degrees higher than it was registering. He thinks that's why the cakes were cooking on the outside area, but falling in the middle. He couldn't say if the white cakes I had done were evenly cooked, so I chose to start from scratch (LOTS OF CAKE THROWN AWAY), but I didn't want to take a chance of unbaked areas of the cake, even though they appeared okay.

Starting my frosting today, and hoping today is a better day. I'll try changing the box mixes I use. I've always sworn by DH for my mixes, and have never had any problems. LIVE AND LEARN !!! an expensive and labor intensive lesson.

thanks to all for your help and advise

maam1993 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maam1993 Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 4:04pm
post #17 of 17

cas60, I just had the same problem with the Hershey's chocolate cake recipe, and the batter overflowed even after I measured the batter required for a 8x3 pan. This seems to be happening with recipes I have been making for years.

I am going to try Lisa5573 suggestion using a cake mix and sour cream. I don't have time for errors today.

Good luck,

Maam1993 icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%