Make A Warming Box For Pulled Sugar?

Sugar Work By icer101 Updated 18 Nov 2010 , 5:31am by Melsablondy

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 3:28am
post #1 of 45

does anyone have instructions for making a warming box .... that uses pvc pipe and heavy plastic or something on that order.. have taken a class about a year and half ago.. and several demos at ices convention. want to start playing with it. and see what i can do.. could someone help me with these instructions.. pictures if you have ,etc. tia

44 replies
Charmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charmed Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 2:35pm
post #2 of 45
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 2:56pm
post #3 of 45

I made one--will update later--gotta get ready for work--easy peasy though.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 4:57pm
post #4 of 45

basic support design concept
http://www.thehomemarketplace.com/HomeMarketPlace/Shopping/ProductDetail.aspx?CID=Clearance&SCID=Clearance&ProductID=0000145001&SiteNum=0&siteID=WUqD6wTpSTg-3Em4dIKnBosP4J60uLB11g

(could even just buy an over sinks self and put longer legs - dowels - on it)

---

attache 1 or two of these to bottom:
http://www.electronicplus.com/images/products/659-SP.jpg

or

clamp two (for balance) of these (1 to each side)

http://electrical.hardwarestore.com/12-35-clamp-lights.aspx

add heat lamps and there you have it.

if make legs so easily removed, whole thing could break down really small.

----

of course could go to a second hand restaurant supply and buy a used buffet heat lamp set up.

-K8memphis Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 10:43pm
post #5 of 45

You have some good information already

--all I did--well after I tried a more elaborate plan involving drilling into plexiglas and attaching piano hinges or whatever--see when I backed the drill out of the plexiglas it often cracked it--sometimes it didn't crack--but it was enough to break my heart so I came up with a real easy plan.

Use the wide clear shipping tape to tape the plexiglas pieces together.

I cut a hole in of the top piece of plexiglas and just stuck my heat lamp in there--no worries--I put a dimmer switch on mine.

I did reinforce the top piece with a piece of foamcore because over time it cracked a little--but it's perfect.

icon_biggrin.gif

icer101 Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 4:13am
post #6 of 45

i couldn,t find this thread again.. doug.... led me back to it.. thank you all for your help..

-K8memphis Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 1:26pm
post #7 of 45

The red heat lamps are easier on your eyes--the clear ones blind you.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 4:13pm
post #8 of 45

What are the benefits to the warming box vs food heating lamps? I saw both at the convention. One think I liked about the heating lamp set ups was the light bulb was covered so it wasn't glaring at you.

I bought the isomalt, and the start up kit, with the alcohol lamp, blowing tube and some precooked sugar blocks. I still need to find some cotton gloves that fit my small hands. Trying to figure out the best place localy to find those, and come up with the heating source either the box or lamp. I'm curious and scared to try it!!

-K8memphis Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 4:18pm
post #9 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

What are the benefits to the warming box vs food heating lamps? I saw both at the convention. One think I liked about the heating lamp set ups was the light bulb was covered so it wasn't glaring at you.

I bought the isomalt, and the start up kit, with the alcohol lamp, blowing tube and some precooked sugar blocks. I still need to find some cotton gloves that fit my small hands. Trying to figure out the best place localy to find those, and come up with the heating source either the box or lamp. I'm curious and scared to try it!!

Not sure what you mean--the box creates a little 'room' where you can control the temperature of the air that is heated by the heat lamp.

Heat lamps costs a few bucks at the hardware store or Home Depot type places. There's no magic to it other than creating an environment for the sugar to stay the correct temperature.

Those 'boxes' they sell on Chef Rubber & chichi places for hunnerds & hunnerds of dollars? No need for that. It's crazy.

Doug Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 4:23pm
post #10 of 45
Quote:

if you mean these:
http://catalog.carlislefsp.com/kitchenacces/heatlamps.html
OR
https://www.shopatdean.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=170&idproduct=979

PRICE!

cheaper to make at home. can use any kind of metal lamp with a socket that can take the heat these light produce.

box is just to keep the heat in and drafts off

-K8memphis Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 4:24pm
post #11 of 45

Which by saying heat lamp I mean a certain type of light bulb is all that is. I don't know about the food lamps you are mentioning--you can go to your local hard ware store & get the red heat lamp light bulb and go get the aluminum shield for it that has the ceramic socket that you screw the bulb into and away you go.

You need a nice fan--I've got a 14" tall tower type fan--no need for those pricey pet hair dryers. Plastic gloves work great--cotton gloves that they sell for chocolate work are what some people use.

You need silpats to pour your stuff onto.

And you need a blow torch.

-K8memphis Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 4:26pm
post #12 of 45

The blow torch is the funnest part.

fshhhhooOOOMmmmmmmmmmm

bwoowahahahahaha

Doug Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 4:41pm
post #13 of 45

"funnest"

----

grammar penalty!

----

five minute time out from using blow torch

-K8memphis Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 5:02pm
post #14 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

"funnest"

----

grammar penalty!

----

I can't take it!! My punishment is too severe!!!

I know better!! I meant more funner I did I did!!!

icon_biggrin.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 3:07am
post #15 of 45

My brother is going to build the box so I guess I'm going that route.

By the food heating lamps I meant heating lamps that also had a warming tray under them. I saw a couple of them in use at the convention.

I want the cotton gloves to help reduce the risk of burning myself. I'll need all the help I can get there.

Thanks for your replies.

3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 3:25am
post #16 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

"funnest"

----

grammar penalty!

----

Ha!

icer101 Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 3:25am
post #17 of 45

i have everything i need to start. took keith ryders class a couple of years ago in my area.. so i have the gloves,etc.. have taken several demos at convention last few years. i feel i am now ready to play with it. just want to make the little warming box.. keiths is made from pvc pipe and heavy vinyl. and is collapsible(sp.).. and lonnie cato at convention sells hers too. just would like for my son and husband to make mine .. for the cost part of it.. i,m anxious to play with it.. i do know you can burn yourself easily. chef laura at convention from french pastry school was terrific.. in her demo on sunday.. lets all be careful when we do get into it..

clarmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
clarmar Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 3:34am
post #18 of 45

Charmed and Doug, thank you!
You guys are amazing... all the homework is done for us, all we have to do is ask. I love you.

-K8memphis Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 1:23pm
post #19 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarmar

You guys are amazing... all the homework is done for us, all we have to do is ask. I love you.

You are welcome.

-K8memphis Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 1:29pm
post #20 of 45
Quote:

My brother is going to build the box so I guess I'm going that route.

By the food heating lamps I meant heating lamps that also had a warming tray under them. I saw a couple of them in use at the convention.

I want the cotton gloves to help reduce the risk of burning myself. I'll need all the help I can get there.

Thanks for your replies.

I used a large wooden cutting board under mine but it was too low from the light sourse so I put an upside down cake pan under that. The wooden cutting board was covered with my silpat.

The ones you mention are so expensive I mean multiple hundreds of dollars. For a few slices of plexiglas and the bulb and shield that I describe upthread there go we.

I'll tell yah what's a great tool to have that is not completley necessary but wow it adds in the control--an induction cooktop.--More in next post this one is jumping.

-K8memphis Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 1:45pm
post #21 of 45

After a while I stopped using my thermometer--just didn't need it.

Ok wait~~

I started by using sugar and I liked Jacques Torres recipe best --available on Food TV website. Because sugar is cheap.

Then I graduated to isomalt and venuance pearls.

So my point is I never used the sugar on the inducion burner--just the other two pricey ingredients. But I'm sure sugar would be fine on it--just being clear on my experience.

But the induction cooktop is available on amazon for under ninety bucks --it heats by degrees of temperature. You can go 180 degrees, 210, 250--it gives a wonderful control to your endeavor.

It is also very efficient--for example a regular burner looses something like 55% of it's heat--y'know how hot it gets when you cook. And the induction cooktop only looses 10% of it's heat. 90% of the heat it produces goes into your ingredients. Very efficient.

-K8memphis Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 1:56pm
post #22 of 45

But I was taking my show on the road so that's the only reason I got one~well I got two actually because if I have learned one thing in my life it's, if it's gonna go wrong it's gonna go wrong for me. So I gotta backup.

But anyway--it's nice nice to have.

-K8memphis Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 2:05pm
post #23 of 45

I considered the warming trays but it wasn't really necessary. Some pastry chefs do not even use lamps. I saw one online ~~ I guess he just controlled the whole ball of sugar from the get go.

Something annoying to watch out for~~when you snip with your scissors it can cause crystalization of the sugar wad because the metal is cold-ha!

sugarbuddy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarbuddy Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 8:33pm
post #24 of 45

If your looking for what type of wattage the lamp should be, I believe it is 250 watts. Hope this helps!

clarmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
clarmar Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 10:33pm
post #25 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by k8memphis

Quote:

You are welcome.

Oh dear K8Menphis, you too, I love you too, it was late, I was tired, I always follow your posts, sorry, a big thank you! icon_eek.gificon_confused.gificon_redface.gif

-K8memphis Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 10:52pm
post #26 of 45
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by k8memphis

Quote:

You are welcome.

Oh dear K8Menphis, you too, I love you too, it was late, I was tired, I always follow your posts, sorry, a big thank you! icon_eek.gificon_confused.gificon_redface.gif

(I was/am) Feeling small this week, CakeBuddy--No worries and you really are welcome!!!!

icon_biggrin.gif

msthang1224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msthang1224 Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 7:04am
post #27 of 45

Wow. Something else for me to experiment with, yayyyyyyyyyyyy!

Marci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marci Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 10:00pm
post #28 of 45

I am a bit late getting in on this thread.... but I had to mention... if you are using Isomalt, you may want to not use cotton gloves or bare hands. Instead use rubber gloves (latex, nitrile whatever) because the sweat that comes off your hands will get into the isomalt and cause it to dull and then melt more quickly.

Even so sugar masters (like Edward Notter) wear gloves not because of the heat but because of the water.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 4:49am
post #29 of 45

I am learning so much on here! I am taking a class with Keith Ryder on this the end of the month and I am trying to learn as much as possible before taking the class so I am not the one in the corner with the pointy hat on.

-K8memphis Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 7:24am
post #30 of 45

Keith is a great teacher and you will have a wonderful class.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%