Gluten Free Cake - Help

Baking By dutchy1971 Updated 30 Nov 2012 , 2:23am by cylstrial

dutchy1971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dutchy1971 Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 2:45am
post #1 of 9

Hi everyone

I tried the search feature but came up empty.

Does anyone have a good recipe for gluten free cakes.

I am trying a mix atm, but tbh it doesn't taste good at all. I was going to try the Betty Crocker one but have not found it yet in my store.

My friend called and asked to make a cake for this weekend but it has to be Gluten Free ( she was diagnosed with Celiac) Now I have no idea what it should taste like, but this one is not good and I really don't want to serve it.
She has no preference for flavour.

TIA

8 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 7:24am
post #2 of 9

Here's a link to all the gluten-free CC cake recipes:

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Recipes&sort=recipename&sort_dir=ASC&op=search&chname=X&chingredients=X&searchtext=&cat_id=24&x=9&y=11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadiseKiss

My husband is a celiac, so I've been cooking gluten-free for 5 years now!

Keep in mind that you need to pay attention not only to the ingredients you use, but your equipment. The tiniest hint of flour can provoke a reaction and cause intestinal damage. Use well-scrubbed equipment (or better yet, new equipment) in a flour-free environment and definitely nothing that has potentially absorbed flour, like wood.

On the good side, a gluten reaction isn't fatal, but it can cause a person to feel debilitatingly ill for a few hours and increases the risk of cancer.

I have used Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free chocolate cake mix. It tastes great for a flour free cake but I don't recall if it was firm enough to stand up to heavy decorating. Most gluten-free products are crumbly in comparison to products made with wheat. Good luck!

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-643003-.html

HTH

dutchy1971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dutchy1971 Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 1:41pm
post #3 of 9

Thanks Jan

I really need to learn how to use the recipe section lol I can see the drop down button now for different categories icon_redface.gif

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 3:07am
post #4 of 9

You're welcome, dutchy1971. icon_biggrin.gif

...And it does take time to become familiar with all the features on this site! icon_lol.gif

sugarandslice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarandslice Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 3:36am
post #5 of 9

There's a great recipe for a gluten free orange and almond cake in the Planet Cake book (it may be on their website, but I'm not sure). It's a delicious cake and stands up very well to all sorts of decorating.
HTH
Emma

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 18 Nov 2012 , 10:34pm
post #6 of 9

Is there a new link to the gluten free recipes? I am in need of a carrot cake gluten free recipe or an apple gluten free recipe. Anyone have a great one that would love to share? Thanks!

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 18 Nov 2012 , 11:26pm
post #7 of 9

A

Original message sent by cylstrial

Is there a new link to the gluten free recipes? I am in need of a carrot cake gluten free recipe or an apple gluten free recipe. Anyone have a great one that would love to share? Thanks!

Type "gluten free" in the search box at the top right and click Recipes on the search result screen.

mmacmullin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmacmullin Posted 19 Nov 2012 , 12:37am
post #8 of 9

I have made several gluten-free cakes.  I just use my regular cake recipes and substitute the flour with King Arthur's Gluten Free All Purpose Flour.  I also add 2 teaspoons Xanthum Gum- you can't really tell that the cakes are gluten free.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 30 Nov 2012 , 2:23am
post #9 of 9

AThanks! That is great to know! I will try that!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%