Customer Cancelled What Do I Do With Cakes?

Decorating By mykidsarekillingme Updated 2 Aug 2009 , 8:06pm by mykidsarekillingme

mykidsarekillingme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mykidsarekillingme Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 5:16pm
post #1 of 12

Customer cancelled party due to inclement weather. It is the maiden and castle cakes that I have posted today. She has rescheduled for next weekend. The problem is I am booked next weekend with 15 orders. She wants me to freeze them and then deliver them next week. it is just cake and icing with fondant. I have spoken with a few people in regards to how the cake will hold up. I offered to freeze those cakes and she can use them for display only and I would supply a sheet cake to serve to the guests. Any suggestions?

11 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 5:32pm
post #2 of 12

I'd tell her I don't have room in my freezer to store her cake. She is more than welcome to store it in HER freezer. It will keep in her space as well as it will keep in mine. I'm not a storage facility. Otherwise it's considered a "no-show for pick up" and I'll dispose of the cake.

GretchensDelectables Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GretchensDelectables Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 5:33pm
post #3 of 12

I think that sounds very generous of you. She will still get the beautiful cakes, plus fresh cake to serve her guests.

yamber82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yamber82 Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 5:37pm
post #4 of 12

cute cake btw, i like that idea icon_smile.gif

i would personally be really ticked if a customer did that. that is more work for you trying to make it last another week. i hope she still plans on paying the full price regardless of whether or not you can save. i think i would devliver it to her today anyway and let her do with it what she will

you might be able to make it last though. what part of it is cake? you might could take the top half of her body off if it is not cake and just keep it in a box or somewhere safe and freeze the other part. i would be nervous about putting fondant in the freezer, but it might work. i think i have read somewhere to if it is in the fridge or somewhere cold to put a cardboard box around it to absorb the condensation or seomthing like that. i wonder if it would actually be fine to just keep it in the fridge for that long? when did you bake it? cake does stay good for wuite a while. if you are a home baker and don't have all that extra room for a week, i would honestly tell the woman, and tell her she can keep it in her fridge and it should be good but no promises etc. give her a box to keep it safe in and instructions and tell her to call if she has any problems when she takes it out the night before or somethng like that

apetricek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
apetricek Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 5:44pm
post #5 of 12

I would deliver the cake to her, not your problem that she has chosen to cancel the party. You did you part, and the work. I would deliver them and thank her and get your money. She then can decide to do whatever with them. I wouldn't store them, god forbid something would happen with the storage, then it would come back and bite you on the butt. I had a similar situation, one of my regular clients cancelled a party due to her child being sick, I felt bad but that wasn't my problem, I delivered the cake, and she put it in her fridge. I wouldn't offer to make another cake for nothing, as I am understanding based on your post. Like I said she chose to cancel, not you. You did your part, it should now be her problem on what to do with the cake. I am sure if she got food from somewhere for the event, that the caterer wouldn't "feeze or hold it till next weekend" so think of it that way.....good luck, I hope you at least got paid...this is why I always get money upfront...and it is also part of my contract!

mykidsarekillingme Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 5:45pm
post #6 of 12

She has absolutely no room, the cakes feed a total of 125, but they are on 16" square boards. She wants to go with the sheet cake, but I am afraid she might still serve the other cakes. I told her I have personally not frozen cakes therefore I am not comfortable doing so. She is a wonderful customer of mine and I think the weather caught everyone by surprise.

elvis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elvis Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 5:55pm
post #7 of 12

I agree with the others--don't store it for her. It's bad that she had to postpone, but let her worry about that--it's simply not your problem. Also, if you were to store it and it doesn't do well in the freezer, you will have a potential argument on your hands when you deliver. Accept full payment now, while the cakes look great.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 6:05pm
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by apetricek

I am sure if she got food from somewhere for the event, that the caterer wouldn't "feeze or hold it till next weekend" .....

You got THAT right!

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 6:34pm
post #9 of 12

and, what makes her think that the weather will be just right next weekend? or that that many people will be randomly free?
up to you on this one really. the contract (presumably) is cake for X date, payment by X date. Cancellation after Y date = no refund. so you are fine to say well here is the cake, good luck for next weekend.
your not even available next weekend. there are some posts on freezing decorated cakes. they would taste ok, but i dont remember how fondant holds up!
xx

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 6:59pm
post #10 of 12

Did you have a contract?

If it were me I'd say "I'm sorry that you had to cancel the party however the cakes are finished and I'll be delivering them per our contract" "If you choose to freeze them that's at your own risk as I'm not guaranteeing they will be OK".

You really need to stick to your contract, it's not your fault that she didn't have an alternate plan for inclement weather. icon_rolleyes.gif

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 7:24pm
post #11 of 12

OMG, all that work on those cakes, I'm sorry this happened to you. How severe was the weather that caused her to cancel?

mykidsarekillingme Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 8:06pm
post #12 of 12

Yes, we had a contract, and I agree who can predict the weather next week. It works out that some of the work on those cakes is not edible and easily removed for later use. I gave her a price on top of her balance for 3 new cakes for next weekend. The cakes are not due until late Sunday in which I can do the cakes. I just feel better with a fresher cake. As stated before who knows how the freezing process will work out. I have had customers do it before, but personally I have not so don't trust it. I am always willing to compromise with this customer as she books me a year prior every year for the past 7 years and is so wonderful to work with. I guess I'm lucky, it could have been a nightmare if she wasn't. Thanks for all the advice, I just wanted some confirmation that I was making the right decision.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%